FORUMS

Unbrick Oculus Go - Orange Light Flashing

265 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By ..::Viny::.., Senior Member on 3rd November 2018, 07:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Oculus go is built by MI and using the same chipset as MI5S.
MI5S can be Deep Flashed using Deep Flash cable.
So I was wondering if same method can be applied with Bricked Oculus Go to revive or unbrick

Alternately Oculus Go does show up as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 device in pc.
Now if we can have the flashable image, we might be able to recover it.
9th November 2018, 02:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 103

More
I wondered the same thing for a while now...
Here is the problems I see so far:
1. We have no usable firmware, or even just the bootloader to use the Qualcom tools.
2. Once hardbricked the big question is what happened to he hardware data like MAC address and serial numbers.
Unless they are stored securely or can be retrieved we have a big problem.
3. The probem would not exists if Oculus would provide properly working firmwares and devices.

With point three I see the biggest issue as I doubt we will get our hands on a firmware.
From what I can see the standard recovery mode is disabled, so OTA or Fastboot only here for starters.
And if I take the reactions of other closed source system as a guide then I assume trying to enter fastboot mode will cause a softbrick.

Only if the thing would accept block based firware updates we could have a chance using a dump from a clean device.
We still would need ADB access on the faulty device though or a way to convert a dump into something usable for the Qualcom tools.
I strongly tend to say that only the bootloader part is stuffed when the red light problem happens.
But I have not tested for any available backdoors to gain root access.
11th November 2018, 06:29 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder35m

Here is the problems I see so far:
1. We have no usable firmware, or even just the bootloader to use the Qualcom tools.

I am try to look at MI5S or MI VR standone firmwares.
Also there is recent firmware update thats been pushed over ota, trying to source the same.

Quote:

2. Once hardbricked the big question is what happened to he hardware data like MAC address and serial numbers.
Unless they are stored securely or can be retrieved we have a big problem.

Not such a big issue.

Quote:

3. The probem would not exists if Oculus would provide properly working firmwares and devices.

With point three I see the biggest issue as I doubt we will get our hands on a firmware.
From what I can see the standard recovery mode is disabled, so OTA or Fastboot only here for starters.

Trying to get hands on firmware update 3.49 or 3.51
And if I take the reactions of other closed source system as a guide then I assume trying to enter fastboot mode will cause a softbrick.

This is an interesting article
https://alephsecurity.com/2018/01/22/qualcomm-edl-1/
23rd November 2018, 05:32 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Finally I got the OTA updates. It looks like its a delta update.
Update has changes to following partitions.
aboot
keymaster
pmic
xbl
boot
system
cmnlib64
rpm
hyp
tz
cmnlib
ovrtz
devcfg
modem

Does anyone knows how to extract payload.bin for A/B type ota

Its based on Android 7.1.2 Release 36 or N2G48H
And when phone goes into standby mode, it gets deteceded is Qualacom USB QLoader 9008
@Downunder35m Would you be interested in playing with the OTA zip
28th December 2018, 07:29 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 160

More
Just wondering.. Where is the Ota stored on the device? Do you think it installs if you put it on the storage in the according folder by hand? Otherwise it would be interesting to find out how the oculus go retrieves the updates online, then there might be the option to "intercept" that
8th March 2019, 07:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Maybe you find a solution to flash the kernel, provided by facebook again: https://github.com/facebookincubator/oculus-go-kernel
15th June 2019, 12:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did you find any solution?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
oculus-go

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)