FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][DEV] K-9 Mail for Wear OS (standalone)

1,399 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,260

Post Reply Email Thread
Official K-9 Mail (or basically any other email clients) doesn't run on Wear OS because of missing WebView component. This modification of K-9 replaces WebView with TextView (among few other tweaks) that makes it usable on Wear OS (fetch messages, navigate folders, read & send mail).

There's Mail client from appfour but it requires phone companion app and doesn't work "standalone". Having an option to occasionally check emails from watch (with cellular module) is the primary reason for this modification (and leaving phone powered off or at home).

Click image for larger version

Name:	k9-wear-1.png
Views:	1006
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	4611050 Click image for larger version

Name:	k9-wear-2.png
Views:	982
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	4611051 Click image for larger version

Name:	k9-wear-3.png
Views:	972
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	4611052 Click image for larger version

Name:	k9-wear-4.png
Views:	852
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4611053 Click image for larger version

Name:	k9-wear-5.png
Views:	832
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	4611054

It's still rough around the edges (some features may crash/not work or be hard to reach) but this is the first version and it allows me to read emails (tested with Gmail, was able to send email as well; on Huawei Watch 2). Newsletters obviously won't work as only the text part of emails is rendered.

Let me know what you think. I do not plan on any major UI rework but I can fix thing or two (if there are some fellow watch only users ).

TIP: Consider using "adb shell input text" for entering complex strings during account setup.
Attached Files
File Type: apk k9mail-release.apk - [Click for QR Code] (7.55 MB, 696 views)
File Type: patch K-9_Mail_for_Wear_OS.patch - [Click for QR Code] (23.9 KB, 304 views)
File Type: apk k9mail-release-v2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (7.55 MB, 426 views)
File Type: patch K-9_Mail_for_Wear_OS_v2.patch - [Click for QR Code] (101.5 KB, 260 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]

5th October 2018, 06:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 820

More
What is the .patch file for?
6th October 2018, 06:18 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Thanks! How do you apply the patch and also how can I add more then one email account?
7th October 2018, 07:17 AM |#4  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
How do I install it?
10th October 2018, 06:58 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
I've just uploaded v2 which improves few things:
  • Extra padding at the bottom when reading email
  • Full screen keybord for entering email address
  • Easier pull to refresh
  • Hide unsupported search
  • Move (dangerous) delete action from bar to menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzeK

What is the .patch file for?

It's just the actual changes made to the source code. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg4000

Thanks! How do you apply the patch and also how can I add more then one email account?

Access this app Settings via the top right "More options" menu (not fully visible but reasonably well tappable) and look for "Add account".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaViper

How do I install it?

One has to use "adb" to push apk directly to the watch or using phone as proxy. Search for a friendly guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...watch-t3726276
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2018, 02:27 AM |#6  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

One has to use "adb" to push apk directly to the watch or using phone as proxy. Search for a friendly guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...watch-t3726276

That got it all installed for me, thanks!
12th October 2018, 04:49 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

Access this app Settings via the top right "More options" menu (not fully visible but reasonably well tappable) and look for "Add account".

Thank you, it would be great if those with crowns (scroll wheel) on the side of our watches could use it when reading an email. It currently works when looking at the inbox but not reading the email it self. Anyway to implement this?

Regardless thanks for taking the time to do this.

UPDATE: Actually whats weird is if I open a notification and read the email the crown works. If I go to an email through the app it does not. Oh well I can live with reading from tapping on the notification which is what I do most the time anyways.
12th October 2018, 08:27 AM |#8  

More
Anyone know of a way to import k-9 mail settings to the watch?

I exported them from my phone and transferred it to my watch but when I hit import settings on the watch it says there is "no application can handle this process"
14th October 2018, 08:30 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you, it would be great if those with crowns (scroll wheel) on the side of our watches could use it when reading an email. It currently works when looking at the inbox but not reading the email it self. Anyway to implement this?.

Thanks for reporting that. My watch has no crown so I had no idea about that. I might take a look later when I have some time to spare and debug that.

Quote:

Anyone know of a way to import k-9 mail settings to the watch?

I exported them from my phone and transferred it to my watch but when I hit import settings on the watch it says there is "no application can handle this process"

Now I know that Wear OS is also missing the component (chooser) for selecting/opening files. It should be possible to replace that with 3rd party library (something like https://github.com/spacecowboy/NoNonsense-FilePicker). IMHO this is a niche feature so I won't be fixing that any time soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th November 2018, 11:15 AM |#10  
Flag Norcross, GA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
[QUOTE=moneytoo;77843650]I've just uploaded v2 which improves few things:
  • Extra padding at the bottom when reading email
  • Full screen keybord for entering email address
  • Easier pull to refresh
  • Hide unsupported search
  • Move (dangerous) delete action from bar to menu
Please excuse this naive question, but is this going to be offered in the PlayStore for loading on the OS or is sideloading it's only future?
4th November 2018, 10:14 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfortin

Please excuse this naive question, but is this going to be offered in the PlayStore for loading on the OS or is sideloading it's only future?

I thought about that but I still think that this app (and mainly its interface) is too much for people coming from Play Store (and expecting nice UI). Plus K-9 itself is still missing support for runtime permissions which means it's currently not publishable on the Play Store (without some work, though there are some pull requests on github).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)