FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Pay Enabler (Google Pay on Oreo outside US/UK/ES/AU/CA etc.)

1,413 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,273

By moneytoo, Recognized Developer on 17th February 2018, 01:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd February 2018, 09:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitnowapp

Thank you OP, it works! I wish Google would fix this or just re-enable.

And how does Samsung Pay on Gear (watch) devices work? I heard it doesn't unless you hack it hard.

Really do I need to spell it out ?
If I am forced to use a Gear I would need to dump "Google" Pay and use Samsung Pay.

But for now my watch has not been upgraded to Oreo works fine, I will never upgrade to Oreo as my first choice.
If I have to in time go to Oreo and have the same issue everybody outside of the UK, and US has I will do two things get annoyed at the arrogance of Google "hey we do not care if you been using Android Pay now Google Pay for months, we will stop you" then I will install the Pay Enabler.

The chances are I will never be forced to by a Gear, though new watches with NFC have not been released.
7th March 2018, 10:11 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm using it since yesterday and it is so much helpful. Thank you so much!
15th March 2018, 08:28 PM |#13  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
They added 3 more countries but there are still 14 more countries affected.

Quote:

To use Google Pay on your watch, you need to: Be in the US, UK, Spain, Australia, or Canada.

https://support.google.com/pay/answe...DAndroid&hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2018, 08:45 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Great news! Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
20th March 2018, 09:41 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is there any way to emulate being in the US from the watch? I get to the download page with the app, but can't download it as it "is not available in my country". Any way to bypass this?
20th March 2018, 11:16 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1neZ

Is there any way to emulate being in the US from the watch? I get to the download page with the app, but can't download it as it "is not available in my country". Any way to bypass this?

Had the same problem. A long time ago I had created a Google Account via US VPN. Now I added this as a second account on the watch and selected the account in the play store and it works.

I hope it still works like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rico33333 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rico33333 Ad-Free
21st March 2018, 07:04 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
It's not just Android Wear
Will your fix also work on "regular" Android 8.1 on a smartphone? I have the same issue with Google Pay on my Nexus 5x, as I now live in Hungary.

In my case, the "back-end" part of Google Pay continues to work, and I can make payments at contactless terminals using my installed credit or debit cards. But the "front-end" user interface part is disabled just as described here. If I need to change the payment card used for a transaction (or add or remove a card) it's a real pain in the ass to enable the app.

Ironically, the availability of contactless payment terminals in Hungary is excellent, while in the US they almost don't exist.

From the little research I've done on the internet, there are lots of people with Google Pay on smartphones facing the same issue, and so you might want to consider a version of your fix for the rest of us!
21st March 2018, 08:40 PM |#18  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikijibiki

Will your fix also work on "regular" Android 8.1 on a smartphone? I have the same issue with Google Pay on my Nexus 5x, as I now live in Hungary.

In my case, the "back-end" part of Google Pay continues to work, and I can make payments at contactless terminals using my installed credit or debit cards. But the "front-end" user interface part is disabled just as described here. If I need to change the payment card used for a transaction (or add or remove a card) it's a real pain in the ass to enable the app.

Ironically, the availability of contactless payment terminals in Hungary is excellent, while in the US they almost don't exist.

From the little research I've done on the internet, there are lots of people with Google Pay on smartphones facing the same issue, and so you might want to consider a version of your fix for the rest of us!

As Hungary is not a country supported by Google Pay, are you using your payment card that was issued by US bank? I'm curious to know what is Google Pay policy on using it abroad (as on vacation or expat) - I thought the bank requirement was only for setup/card linking. (I understand you're talking about frontend vs backend as all card data and emulation is done by Google Play services)

Anyway, you should be able to use the attached apk in the first post.
21st March 2018, 09:18 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

As Hungary is not a country supported by Google Pay, are you using your payment card that was issued by US bank? I'm curious to know what is Google Pay policy on using it abroad (as on vacation or expat) - I thought the bank requirement was only for setup/card linking. (I understand you're talking about frontend vs backend as all card data and emulation is done by Google Play services)

Anyway, you should be able to use the attached apk in the first post.

Yes, all my cards are from US banks. Although I now live abroad, all my banking/finance is still US-based. I've been using Android Pay and no Google Pay for about a year without any issues from either Google or my banks. My banks are fully aware of my situation and have been really great about shipping new credit and debit cards to Hungary.

There are rare occasions where the terminal has some issue with the phone emulation, but mostly using the phone is the fastest way to pay, as the fingerprint authentication to unlock the phone eliminates the need to enter any PIN. Interestingly, as all US chip cards are non-PIN and require a signature, when using the phone to pay, I also don't need to sign any slips. The two-factor authentication does all the work.

I'll download the apk and give it a try. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote:

I'll download the apk and give it a try. Thanks!

No joy. Payenabler-3.apk won't install on my phone.
21st March 2018, 09:33 PM |#20  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No joy. Payenabler-3.apk won't install on my phone.

My bad. It only works the other way (phone apps work on Wear). Please see the first post again for "-phone" version.
21st March 2018, 10:22 PM |#21  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

My bad. It only works the other way (phone apps work on Wear). Please see the first post again for "-phone" version.

That did it! Thank you!

I can't figure out why Google is doing this. Seems strange to restrict use of payment cards meant to be used universally.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)