How to install TWRP recovery and achieve root on the WEAR24 watch

Search This thread

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
Great progress!

As for the boot loop fix, does it work w/o the need for rooting? Also, did you run the adb command prior to backup to prevent bootliop?

We still need some devs on board to build the first custom rom w/NFC libraries.

Did

and now my computer recognize watch as "Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9092" (COM32), but QPST says 'No phone" on target port. Tried many different drivers. I think if I could connect in Diag - it will allow to unlock another bands. Becase it working with many phones at same msm8909 chip.

P.S. Played with TWRP backup and restore - received TWRP bootlop. Fix:

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
OK just to confirm, when did you run the ADB command to your watch to prevent bootloop? Since you are the ONLY one to have TWRP loaded, Bootloader Unlocked, and an Unrooted Device that doesn't bootloop we should document it.

Yeah there are a lot of items in the Source Code that are not compiled and on the watch. If you look around you will see that the NFC libraries were not compiled for the Kernel on the watch.

If you can make an Update to the current ROM with the NFC libraries, and have it unrooted you would make most of the people on here very happy. First steps to Google Pay.

Reactions: bkkzak

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
This is a total lifesaver. I decided to pull out another Wear24 to get it all setup; and I got the TWRP bootloop. Only way to fix was to use the TWRP Terminal and type this command in (slightly different that Skinny's)

adb shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/misc

Did

and now my computer recognize watch as "Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9092" (COM32), but QPST says 'No phone" on target port. Tried many different drivers. I think if I could connect in Diag - it will allow to unlock another bands. Becase it working with many phones at same msm8909 chip.

P.S. Played with TWRP backup and restore - received TWRP bootlop. Fix:

NSD

May 9, 2006
Struggling to pull the back off, any tips from people that have actually done it? Used a heat gun on low as instructed and even at the 5 minute mark, while the watch was probably hotter than I was comfortable with, the back absolutely did not budge.

Xsavi

Mar 29, 2014
Georgia, USA
randomnessbyxx.com
I wonder if you could just strip the wires instead and make the contact using that (For the USB Part)?

Edit: (To answer my own question) Yes you can, it'll work just fine without the connector. Also, the plastic isn't as fragile as the OP makes it out to be. The plastic is pretty thick (much to my surprise, but still, I would be careful even though I purposely damaged mine so I can have easier access later on).

For the USB Wire order in case someone gets confused (Even though it's in the picture):

TP1 - Red
TP2 - White
TP3 - Green
TP4 - Black

If you use the order stated in the OP, you'll get Unrecognized Device over and over again (From my Experience). I thought my board was dead. LoL

Thanks though! I appreciate this. I also was looking around for a Custom ROM for this device and there is one in development! I think (if I'm not mistaken) it is in the testing/bug squashing stages now.

Last edited:

Xsavi

Mar 29, 2014
Georgia, USA
randomnessbyxx.com
Struggling to pull the back off, any tips from people that have actually done it? Used a heat gun on low as instructed and even at the 5 minute mark, while the watch was probably hotter than I was comfortable with, the back absolutely did not budge.

Honestly, I was in the same situation you were in. The heat gun and suction cup were not working so I just chipped piece off the corner and pried the back off that way (It's small enough to where no debris or moisture gets in but large enough for me to open if need be).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS THREAD IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ATTN: Proceed at your own risk. The following procedures could not only physically damage your device but also could damage the software rendering the device useless. I assume no responsibility

At this time you will be required to remove the rear casing of your wear24, which involves removing Tri-point screws as well as heating the casing to soften the adhesive. I am also in the process of developing a method that would not require you to remove the rear case but instead puncture it 4 times. More info to come

Removing rear cover of watch

This part can result in permanent damage to your watch casing. Be careful as the plastic cover is very fragile

You will need

• Y000 Tri-point bit for the back plate.

• Suction-Cup

• Tweezers

• Guitar pick or other thin plastic tool for prying

• Heat Gun

Start by using the tri-point bit to remove the 4 screws located on the back plate. You may need to utilize tweezers in order to remove the screws.

Once the screws have been removed. Utilize the low setting and heat the back casing around the edges with the heat gun for approximately 2 - 3 minutes, making sure to keep the heat gun nozzle approximately 3-4 inches from the plate. Avoid heating the straps as they contain your antennas for your LTE, WIFI, and BT.

Immediately, use the suction cup on the rear cover to try and pull up on the cover.
    A small gap should form between the cover and the watch.
    Slide the guitar pick in between this gap.
    Use the guitar pick to help separate the cover from the watch

NOTE: Do not try and separate the cover using the screw holes or the speaker holes. Nor by prying the edge without forming the gap first, you will damage the plastic if you try. It's very fragile

Using the guitar pick, carefully separate the wireless charging coil from the rear of the watch. Do not remove it. Simply separate and allow it to bend out of the way.

Carefully peel back the tape and foil covering the SIM card.
    I lightly scored the tape with a utility knife and peeled it away.

On the board itself, there should be a small black rectangular tape.
    Using tweezers, peel away the black tape exposing 4 round gold contact point on the board.

TP1 TP2 TP3 TP4 should be listed next to each of the round gold contact points
    Building usb connection device

The first step is to build a device, to connect to the usb pinout on the WEAR24 circuit board.

Simply take a standard usb 2.0 or 3.0 cable, strip the ends to reveal 4 separate colors, consisting of RED WHITE Green and Black

Then take 4 standard male to male breadboard jumper cables, solder the ends of the usb cable to each jumper cable.

Paying attention to the colors associated with the usb end of the cable. line the non-soldered ends in the following order and wrap electrical tape around the black plastic connector to keep the pins in the correct order and sturdy.

Red-TP1
    Green-TP2
    White-TP3
    Black-TP4

You should then have a usb cable attached to 4 prong fork looking connector.

https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2FlmV9UDXt55aQOI4EDY47vuErVOX5KzS3T77rTuGqPjJcyqW4UjYzxw_FWtGrgH7SCdw9by7dD5_f2-rtdRcAMQYHURg2m87UCuOOwzLyDV7Li-tItOxtVpWC4EFGxYwHsuA5Nv-1C-pf-KM6A_6wl7GuGpWjoZJaFkG2xEBPAHnnkQuTDFmGAF2SktpExpJe8-BFMIExsPuMzJX2LBDZNMYnXMJf-bBO9yhgpsc0TOb0YtZW7tTAYnpjYGEiJEBBhR3msS6eENlxstC2VpUxEBCMMdtrHyjCz_8yUu0dG-aRG7epJkb-1Q3rDzwmDxtegGDCgmoqyEcLB_QZs_jZbKKO4ogQX-gY-EZUNmnIUBR0xPwub8P4VVC4XCc-004_k_MYXUiXKoGvcvtasGZ-yeEXBbqG5kDKEl2tApsfKLqkmbsz0PDRuHOo8rGITig2fpNiSIh2ZStylCkcDnJ4dEJ9DbmN7mxxnA3k0799Z2E02s6I4SGiA17qeb1hfGAEJm8FYLbwXCaIJn7zR_LQEyCxmcG045hl7Rla8aS5P77DXfibxjdgZZGL1dq9FirapSff5eiHTgOlj3DFs2Ntl9K2lI7Xs1uYF6CKI2Q%3Dw2048-h1152-no

Software Installation

You will need the following:

• ADB & FASTBOOT from Android SDK

• Prior knowledge of ADB and FASTBOOT on the O/S of your choice

• TWRP RECOVERY IMG

• SuperUser installer zip

• The make-shift USB connector you created earlier

• Patience

Make sure your watch is up to date with system and play store updates.
    Go into Settings, System, About, and click on the Build number 5 times to enable developer options.

Go into Settings, Developer Options, and make sure ADB debugging and debug over Wifi are both enabled.

Download the TWRP Recovery img from TeamWin @
    https://teamw.in/quanta/verizonwear24.html

Download SuperSU with busybox YDS included at the bottom of this post

Place both files in the same directory as ADB and FASTBOOT on your O/S

Plug the make-shift usb connector into your computer.

Open command prompt on host computer over wifi with ADB
    Code:
    adb connect 192.168.0.xxx

On Watch accept the remote connection.

On command prompt on host computer over wifi with ADB
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

The watch should boot into bootloader mode

On command prompt on host computer with ADB
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

Using the make-shift usb connector touch the following pin colors to the gold contact pins on the back of the watch

Red-TP1
    Green-TP2
    White-TP3
    Black-TP4

Click OK on Watch screen to Unlock (NOTE: this will factory wipe your watch!)

Once the watch reboots, proceed with setting up your watch for the first time.

Note: The initial bootup on the watch will take longer than normal, do not be alarmed

Make sure your watch is up to date with system and play store updates.
    Go into Settings, System, About, and click on the Build number 5 times to enable developer options.

Go into Settings, Developer Options, and make sure ADB debugging and debug over Wifi are both enabled.

Code:
    adb connect 192.168.0.xxx

On Watch accept the remote connection.

Download SuperSU with busybox YDS included from the bottom of this post and move it to watch with adb push to /sdcard
    Code:
    adb push nameofzip.zip /sdcard/

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

On command prompt on host computer with ADB
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Using the make-shift usb connector touch the following pin colors to the gold contact pins on the back of the watch

Red-TP1
    Green-TP2
    White-TP3
    Black-TP4

On Watch click Allow Modifications

On Watch click Install

On Watch select SuperSu file uploaded prior

On Watch slide confirm

On Watch wipe davlik/cache

Reboot to system

Note: The initial bootup on the watch will take longer than normal, do not be alarmed
    Install apps that require root for testing

Once the watch has successfully booted, download the Advance Settings app from the play store.

Once the app is installed, if upon opening the app you experience no errors, you have successfully installed TWRP and rooted your watch.

You can now use the Advanced Settings app to reboot the watch directly into recovery and access TWRP