FORUMS

[Guide] Connect to public wifi hospots with captivity portal from Android Wear Watch.

358 posts
Thanks Meter: 70

By aligatro2010, Senior Member on 1st June 2015, 12:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First of all, if your watch doesn't have wifi then this guide is not for you. This guide while it tries to go more into details, it requires some previous knowledge of using console commands.

According to the official google website. [1]

Quote:

Not all watches have a Wi-Fi feature. Try using the directions below to connect to Wi-Fi. If you don’t see Wi-Fi settings under “Settings” on your watch, Wi-Fi is not available on your watch.
When your watch uses Wi-Fi, the “Open on phone” feature is disabled.
Your watch can’t connect to Wi-Fi networks that use captive portals, which are web pages you have to visit before connecting.

There is a way to bypath that limitation by installing Android version of firefox on your watch. However, its not enough to just install firefox. You also need to change lcd density parameter to make UI fit on the tiny screen AND you'll need some sort of keyboard to be able to input characters into firefox.

You will need to download tools to be able to connect to your watch.
1. [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.2

Your watch needs to have USB debugging enabled. Follow this youtube guide. Since UI is the same on all android wear, this method will work on all android wear watches. Note that the person in the video has a Mac. So the console will be different. On windows you just fire up the cmd. You can ignore the Android SDK and Eclipse stuff she is doing as we don't need it for this.
This tool has a list of supported devices, but since we are going to be using only one function of it, you can probably get away with picking the wrong android wear watch from the list.
3. Download [TOOL] WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit v2.4 | Unlock | Root | Flash | 90+ Devices

From previous steps make sure your watch is connected and the WinDroid tool is able to detect it. If all is good download APKs and then in WinDroid go to "Commands" tab and click on "Install App". Find your firefox and minuum wear apk files. Install both of them by installing one at a time.

Once apks are installed you need to open cmd terminal and type some commands:
To make keyboard work you need to type
Code:
adb shell ime enable com.whirlscape.minuum/.MinuumKeyboardService
And then
Code:
adb shell ime set com.whirlscape.minuum/.MinuumKeyboardService

To make firefox UI more usable, we need to change the LCD density.
In the same terminal first type
Code:
adb shell
then
Code:
cat /system/build.prop | grep "lcd"
You will then see something like this on the screen
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=280
Write down this value and keep it save in case you want to restore to normal LCD density.

To change density type
Code:
wm density 200
It will immediately change LCD density on your watch. Everything will become smaller. I recommend that you enable "Large Font" in Accessibility menu on your watch to make the font size bigger.

Now try connecting to the public wifi on your smartphone. Wait a few seconds for information to sync with your watch. Disable bluetooth on your phone and your watch should automatically try to connect to wifi hotspot. Alternatively you can select wifi AP from a list of wifi on your watch without needing to use your phone. You will still need to disable bluetooth on your phone though.

Finally, fire up firefox on your watch, try to go to any website. The captivity webpage of your public wifi will show up and just press accept/I agree/etc as you normally would. After that you can close firefox by swiping to the right. I recommend you install task manager for android wear to be able kill firefox from memory. And try not to leave firefox or wifi open for too long as it will drain your battery really quick.

Now sit back and enjoy your wifi sync over the public wifi hotspot connection.
Quote:

This lets your watch and phone to automatically stay synced at any distance over the Internet.

Here how it all looks on my watch.

Sadly video doesn't start, it just keeps on buffering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aligatro2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aligatro2010 Ad-Free
13th June 2015, 07:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
That's a great effort. I'm happy to report that we now have a much easier option by using wear browser.

I posted my experience with it here.
The Following User Says Thank You to sirrelevant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sirrelevant Ad-Free
14th June 2015, 03:35 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrelevant

That's a great effort. I'm happy to report that we now have a much easier option by using wear browser.

I posted my experience with it here.

Yea, it does seems easier. However, I am thinking of writing a tiny program that would attempt to automatically click on "I accept/Connect" button. Not sure how to approach this problem quite yet, as there are so many different captive portals and some might have multiple checkboxes and buttons. Also, a program that would allow you to connect to wifi AP with a password without phone.(Its possible with es filemanager)
19th August 2015, 09:25 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 267

More
If you connect to an open wifi on your phone then your watch auto connects, but you use a VPN on your phone for security the watch is still using everything un encrypted right?
30th September 2015, 06:38 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frigidazzi

If you connect to an open wifi on your phone then your watch auto connects, but you use a VPN on your phone for security the watch is still using everything un encrypted right?

It only connects to wifi when bluetooth is turned off or your phone is our of range. But, yes, you are correct. VPN will only encrypt phone's traffic since the watch will directly connect to wifi AP. So, you would need to run a separate VPN client on the watch.(which might be not possible atm)
18th February 2018, 09:56 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am wondering if this still works with the very latest version of Android Wear 2?

I have a Huawei watch 2 and need to get onto a WiFi network (at work) that requires you to hit a confirm button on a webpage the first time you login. Can't seem to get it working on the watch.
13th March 2018, 12:44 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mupet0000

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am wondering if this still works with the very latest version of Android Wear 2?

I have a Huawei watch 2 and need to get onto a WiFi network (at work) that requires you to hit a confirm button on a webpage the first time you login. Can't seem to get it working on the watch.

The last time I tried it on Huawei watch 2, when I still had it it also didn't work. They probably removed some system libraries in wear 2.0 and broke all of those apps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)