Verizon wear24 any way to unlock for use with other carrier?

Search This thread

pyoungworth

Oct 9, 2013
How did you disable messages+ and install standard messaging app. I don't have an option to disable it under system apps and even though messages is installed I can't select it from the apps (it is listed in settings though)

Reactions: dattguy

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
How did you disable messages+ and install standard messaging app. I don't have an option to disable it under system apps and even though messages is installed I can't select it from the apps (it is listed in settings though)
You can use ADB to do this.

ADB shell pm hide is the command look it up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sins07

Jun 6, 2013
On Android Wear 2.0, those apps can be disabled in the application manager. No need for ADB commands. On 1.5, you will have to use the pm uninstall -k

lifeisfun

Nov 7, 2007

Go all the way down in the Settings/app list and select system apps again , you'll find it in the huge list there :)

Last edited:

Crackass

Nov 15, 2014
Go all the way down in the Settings/app list and select system apps again , you'll find it in the huge list there :)

Okay let me get this straight because I might buy this watch and you seem to be able to get stuff working. I’ve read so many things and so many people say different things. I don’t have Verizon Service like most. With Android Wear 2.0 (the newest update), can you...

1. Make phone calls using the Bluetooth. People say microphone doesn’t work for calls. Also can you say “OK Google call John” and not have to fiddle with anything and start talking?
2. Can you say OK Google and text someone. I read somewhere that the google assistant would try to send it over cellular and fail and there was no option to change it to default to send through the phone.
3. Do I have to use Verizon Messages?
4. Anything else I shoulda know that may be annoying?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully you or someone can reply ASAP because there is currently a coupon for eBay Canada I can use to buy this watch but it expires tomorrow.

geminihc

Jun 5, 2008
just got this myself and it seems updating it to android wear 2.0 causes some microphone issues as someone else posted (so it's not that my watch is weird or anything).

OK google works fine, but other mic functions dontwork

shawndak

Feb 8, 2016
Mine updated to 2.0 right after I connected to wifi. Then a day later I checked the version and it had updated to Android Wear 2.7! Seems like it is indeed still getting updated!

Reactions: Jizzay1

tkuligowski

Jan 31, 2012
Lincoln

I don't quite understand this. Mine does not have a disable button for the Verizon message application. Just the force stop, permissions, advanced, etc... Like other system apps the only option is to remove upgrades where the disable button would be.

Update - nevermind figured it out

Last edited:

lifeisfun

Nov 7, 2007
I don't quite understand this. Mine does not have a disable button for the Verizon message application. Just the force stop, permissions, advanced, etc... Like other system apps the only option is to remove upgrades where the disable button would be.

Update - nevermind figured it out
You welcome :good:

probstc

Aug 13, 2012
Okay let me get this straight because I might buy this watch and you seem to be able to get stuff working. I’ve read so many things and so many people say different things. I don’t have Verizon Service like most. With Android Wear 2.0 (the newest update), can you...

1. Make phone calls using the Bluetooth. People say microphone doesn’t work for calls. Also can you say “OK Google call John” and not have to fiddle with anything and start talking?
2. Can you say OK Google and text someone. I read somewhere that the google assistant would try to send it over cellular and fail and there was no option to change it to default to send through the phone.
3. Do I have to use Verizon Messages?
4. Anything else I shoulda know that may be annoying?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully you or someone can reply ASAP because there is currently a coupon for eBay Canada I can use to buy this watch but it expires tomorrow.

1. No. The crappy speakers allow you to hear the call, but the microphone does not pick up any sound.
2. Yes and Yes. "OK Google" works quite nicely once you enable it on the watch and as long as you install a message app (I installed Android messenger) things work very well.
3. No. I have disabled all the Verizon bloatware and no longer see it in the app tray on the watch.
4. Yes. While the rose gold watch case is very nice, the pinkish watch bands are hideous - Get any other color! As a Canadian I will probably never use the LTE functionality and I am just getting the nerve to perform surgery on my 2-week Wear24 to replace the bands, hopefully even preserving the LTE antenna.

PesSarmiento

Apr 10, 2012
New York
Apple iPhone 12
1. No. The crappy speakers allow you to hear the call, but the microphone does not pick up any sound.
2. Yes and Yes. "OK Google" works quite nicely once you enable it on the watch and as long as you install a message app (I installed Android messenger) things work very well.
3. No. I have disabled all the Verizon bloatware and no longer see it in the app tray on the watch.
4. Yes. While the rose gold watch case is very nice, the pinkish watch bands are hideous - Get any other color! As a Canadian I will probably never use the LTE functionality and I am just getting the nerve to perform surgery on my 2-week Wear24 to replace the bands, hopefully even preserving the LTE antenna.
So let me know if you succeed changing the band. I will follow your steps to change mine. I don't care about LTE so I'm looking as well to do the same.

probstc

Aug 13, 2012
I will be following this thread

I have had my Wear24 for about a week and let's say that I feel for all those who paid full price for this watch. Not that it is a bad Android Wear smartwatch, but it is pretty "meh" for it's original price of $350 USD. Based on my experience and trying to respond to some of the previous comments:

What works:

- Yes, you can disable all the Verizon bloatware preinstalled. Super easy: You go to the system settings under apps, find the offending app and disable it - It is now no longer on your app list! :good:
- Yes, you can install a different message app (I select Android messenger) and it works very well. :good:
- Once I disabled cellular service, the watch get very decent life, approaching 2 days with my use (light-moderate). :good:
- I am able to use the dialer to dial out, and while the speaker works the microphone does not (due to the fact that the Bluetooth pair on your phone treats the smartwatch as a Bluetooth speaker. If someone can let me know if this can be changed I would be grateful. :D

My next challenges:

- Get Android Pay or any other "Pay" app installed so I can take advantage of the NFC functionality. :fingers-crossed:
- Decide whether I can live with the hideous watch bands on my rose gold Wear24 (I love the casing though), and if not, perform surgery so that I can replace the bands. I am tempted to wait after hearing that 1) the SIM card can be replaced and 2) there might be the possibility to hack the OS to permit extra cellular reception. :confused:

All in all, for the $80 USD I paid, a decent purchase, especially now that my venerable Moto 360 is on the verge of expiring.

pyoungworth

Oct 9, 2013
I have disabled messages+ and installed Android message but for some reason it won't work. I installed a different sms messaging app but not sure why but the normal Android messages doesn't work. The app loads but I can't receive messages or send messages through it. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled but still doesn't work. Any ideas?

mobadr

Jan 9, 2018
Birmingham, UK
The SIM actually comes out in this if you take it apart enough. You can replace with any SIM of your choosing. The real problem is that the phone is limited on bands as it is just LTE band 13. Let's say you succeeded in adding bands, you would still have an issue entering APN settings as this menu is restricted.

This is very interesting. Could you please explain more? How do you know that the SIM is replaceable? Are they not using an eSIM IC? Did you see any photos of the watch taken apart?

I have ordered one of these because of the price, it's my first Android Wear watch, and we don't have the LG Urbane 2 in the UK either which would have been my other choice. I'd love to have the LTE and NFC working, and I'm kinda willing to take it apart if there's any chance it'll work.

Last edited:

sins07

Jun 6, 2013
This is very interesting. Could you please explain more? How do you know that the SIM is replaceable? Are they not using an eSIM IC? Did you see any photos of the watch taken apart?

I have ordered one of these because of the price, it's my first Android Wear watch, and we don't have the LG Urbane 2 in the UK either which would have been my other choice. I'd love to have the LTE and NFC working, and I'm kinda willing to take it apart if there's any chance it'll work.

i've taken it apart and there is literally a modular sim slot where the sim can be removed. it is not a stripped down eSIM, it is a regular fully formed nano sim

Reactions: mobadr

Jackson1983

Jan 13, 2018
Interested to get 1 as well but really considering as it seems it's quite difficult to get the straps replace. Anyone succeeded in doing it?

mobadr

Jan 9, 2018
Birmingham, UK
i've taken it apart and there is literally a modular sim slot where the sim can be removed. it is not a stripped down eSIM, it is a regular fully formed nano sim

How did you open this? I got as far as removing the straps and the four screws on the back but nothing further. My attempts to remove the back only resulted in a lot of scratches along the edge. :(

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys!
    I was able to connect my wear24 as a USB device!
    The bad news is that you'll have to take off the back cover, which is not so simple. USB pins are 4 golden pins just above the sim card slot (under some sort of rubbery sticker).

drive.google.com/open?id=1da_vPsV1fDRNami-9ViJ_FH3_-VGEb3G
    drive.google.com/open?id=16ceaGB6Erydf6681tDF-eHeyCicodlwY

So, the pinout is:
    TP1 - +5V
    TP2 - Data -
    TP3 - Data +
    TP4 - Ground

The watch was first recognized as "Android" device by my windows 10 PC, then changed to "LeMobile Android Device / Android Bootloader Interface" (after drivers were auto installed).

I'm new to android hacking, so I don't know what to do next. If you have instructions for some tests / hacking - don't hesitate to reach out to me here :)

P.S. All above was done in a fastboot mode on the watch.
    Update:

I did some research on the forum and managed to unlock the bootloader!

drive.google.com/open?id=1bV7KM8SoV-eBJCdje7uyXIMHfTyVEmRe

So the next step is to compile and flash TWRP recovery via fastboot.
    Does anybody know where I can get all those parameters for building TWRP? (I've never compiled TWRP or something similar before)
    I am currently downloading the source for the ROM and am going to try compiling it with NFC in in the build and enabled.
    So, I have good and bad news.
    I've managed to build custom TWRP based on some existing device configs and Wear24 AW2 rom dump from here. And it seems to work! First I tried it on AW 1.x with no luck, but then I installed the OTA update to AW 2.0 and it worked!

But I flashed it using "fastboot flash" and now I'm getting a bootloop when I restart the watch (TWRP works though).

Could somebody boot once (without flashing) into my recovery image using
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    make a backup of recovery partition and upload it somewhere?

Please find the recovery image on my gdrive:
    drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bV7KM8SoV-eBJCdje7uyXIMHfTyVEmRe