Current status of Linux port to Hermes
There is some research going on, check this forum thread:
Any developers willing to help are more than welcome to the project.
Please post any progress or useful information by editing this page or posting on the forum (or both).
How to start
Current (?) port boots to busybox (aka, no X, no graphics, just console).
(following adapted from __a's post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1810626&postcount=97 )
- Get usbnet for your computer. Set it up to address 192.168.0.1:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.1(if you already have lan on 192.168.0.1/24, route 192.168.0.206 to usb0:
route add -net 192.168.0.206 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev usb0)
OS X: http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=AJZaurusUSB
- Add EXT3 partition to your device's memory card. Its useful to still have FAT-partition, for files and stuff.
gparteddid this fine on Linux.
- Get latest herm-linux-XXXXXXXX.exe from http://handhelds.org/~koconnor/HTCHermes/ . Currently latest is herm-linux-20070930.exe. Save exe into memory card's FAT partition.
(skipped steps for setting up zImage and default.txt, as latest exe has them already set up. Look for original post, it has 'em)
Run herm-linux-XXXXXXXX.exe with usb-cable plugged in*. Linux should boot to something like this:
BusyBox v1.1.0 (2006.02.24-18:59+0000) Built-in shell (aSh)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
- Unplug USB cable and plug it back again. Device should output:
usb0: full speed config w1: 100 mA, Ethernet Gadget, usi
ng CDC Ethernet
- Telnet to 192.168.0.206 (=telnet 192.168.0.206= in linux), you should see:
Connected to 192.168.0.206.
Escape character is '^]'.
BusyBox v1.1.0 (2006.02.24-18:59+0000) Built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
- GSM/3G support
- Bluetooth support
- Native boot-loader (dual-boot?)
- SD-card mounting
- Wifi support
How can I help?
If you're interested in making this work you can come into
#htc-linux in freenode IRC Network, all the developers meet there and will try to help you getting started.
You can find previous IRC channel logs here:
Samsung ARM9 SoC Linux port
Other PDAs with SC32442 CPU
- EtenG500 (has patched haret and lots of common hardware with the Hermes)
- HP iPAQ rx1950
- HP iPAQ rx3715, rx3415, rx3115
Handheld Hardware Crossreference
SC32442 (CPU), BRF6150 (bluetooth), AK4641 (Audio) have linux support: http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HandheldHardwareXref