MediaTek Inc. is a fabless semiconductor company that provides system-on-chip solutions for wireless communications, HDTV, DVD and Blu-ray. Headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan, the company has 25 offices worldwide and was the 4th largest IC designer worldwide in 2013. Since its founding in 1997, MediaTek has been creating chipset solutions for the global market. MediaTek also provides its customers with reference designs.
MediaTek systems allow access to several modes useful to power users and developers alike, they are:
- Engineer Mode is a software mode allowing higher access to the system, this can be useful for rooting and making modifications to non S-On (Locked Bootloader) devices.
- Factory Mode is mentioned in MediaTek's documentation and can be seen in the bootloader/preloader binaries.
- META Mode is a method for accessing MediaTek devices even if the device no longer boots into the Android OS (Corrupt System/Bootloader/Preloader), this is extreamly useful for fixing soft-bricked devices as you have write access to the raw partitions.
MediaTek chips are preffixed as MT 
- MT6577 is a Cortex A9 (ARMv7) 1,2 GHz, 2-core chip
- MT6589 quad core at 1.2GHZ
- first phablet micromax canvas HD A116
- zen ultrafone 701hd, used this chipset. (i did not know what is the chinees name for this phone)
MTK Droid Root and Tools
- Official website
- List of products using the Mediatek chipsets
- MTK Droid Tools Download Link
- Cyanogenmod for mediatek devices
- Page in CyanogenMod Wiki