Enabling Dynamic Page File for Speed Boost

Search This thread

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
Hey guys,

My Lumia 640 was running slow on Windows 10. It seemed like my apps were always closing and taking forever to reload.
The default page file settings regardless of the amount RAM in the phone is locked at 256MB. Where the persistent storage is also flash memory, writing to the page file shouldn't cause any major slowdowns.

I used interop tools and the data located at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms912851(v=winembedded.5).aspx to set the minimum size to 128MB and the maximum size of the page file to 768MB. The results were immediate!

Thinking it was a fluke, I rebooted my phone, and I noticed that it starts much faster now, too! As always, ymmv, but post your results in this thread if it helps!

Additional Info:
1. Setting the location of the page file to anything other than "u:\pagefile.sys" will cause storage sense to display a virtual memory size of 0 MB. To verify that your change worked, enable MTP Root Access in Interop Tools, plug your phone into a pc, and then navigate to the location of the new page file and verify that it was created.

2. Don't set the max size of the page file to be larger than the amount of free space available in the "apps and games" area of the phone. Setting the max limit too close to the amount of free space will cause crashes as the apps will lose "breathing room".

Edit 2:

After playing with this for a while, I discovered that the phone prefers a static page file. The settings that gave me consistently good results without crashing was to move the pagefile to the system partition (c:\pagefile.sys) and to lock it at 512 512. I am on rs1.

There appears to be an rs1 bug that if the memory usage goes beyond a certain number, the phone will become unstable. This is unrelated to the page file adjustment. How do I know? My brand new Alcatel IDOL 4S with Windows 10 gets wonky if I open too many apps. It has 4GB or RAM that is OS limited to 3.5 GB.

Last edited:

compu829

Nov 5, 2006

That's cuz people are dumb....the trick is to make it dynamic and let the OS resize it as needed. Locking the page file to a static size isn't even recommended by Microsoft, so I'm shocked they do it with Windows phone...
The system partition is also very tiny, so if a large pagefile is desired, the path should be modified from u:\pagefile.sys to u:\Data\pagefile.sys.
U:\ is already mapped to the data partition, so there is no need to change this.

Also, never NEVER move the pagefile to an SD card. That's just asking for trouble....

Last edited:

joldisadrian

Apr 13, 2011
Satu Mare
plus.google.com
Hey guys,

My Lumia 640 was running slow on Windows 10. It seemed like my apps were always closing and taking forever to reload.
The default page file settings regardless of the amount RAM in the phone is locked at 256MB. Where the persistent storage is also flash memory, writing to the page file shouldn't cause any major slowdowns.

I used interop tools and the data located at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms912851(v=winembedded.5).aspx to set the minimum size to 128MB and the maximum size of the page file to 768MB. The results were immediate!

Thinking it was a fluke, I rebooted my phone, and I noticed that it starts much faster now, too! As always, ymmv, but post your results in this thread if it helps!

Which interop tools version did you used ?

Reactions: roda.senior

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
Virtual Memory under Storage changed to 0 bytes
Phone working though :confused: :confused:

I'm on a Lumia 640

It will do that for two reasons:
1. You changed the location of the page file to something other than "u:\pagefile.sys". If you change it, the size will stop showing up in storage settings.
2. You set the minimum size of the page file to "0".

thebreed

May 14, 2016
Rijeka
I keep Facebook on my SD card. For me, Facebook went from not loading at all to loading if I let it sit for a while with this mod.

No crashes so far.
I've set the pagefile to 128 768. Facebook (internal storage) loads in a snap without Messenger, Messenger (internal storage) loads in a snap without Facebook, but it doesn't work if you have both of them installed. Maybe I'll up the maxmem a bit. :) Thanks for the info. :)

640XL 15031

Last edited:

joldisadrian

Apr 13, 2011
Satu Mare
plus.google.com
Succes !

I used both RC2 and RC3.

Well i have finally succeed to change the page file. After all the struggle i can confirm that Lumia 640 it's more snappy than ever.

Facebook app still loading slow or ending with a crash.:eek:(Facebook it's on sdcard, messenger on phone)
I have only one bug with the lock screen display not displaying correctly on wallpaper or not displaying the wallpaper.:confused:

I have attached some screenshots. Enjoy !

If you have any question please don't hesitate.

Used Interop Tools RC3 with dependencies.
Renamed "u:\pagefile.sys 256 256" to "u:\pagefile.sys 1024 1024"

:cool:

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170222_0001.png
    wp_ss_20170222_0001.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,857
  • IMG_20170222_062959.jpg
    IMG_20170222_062959.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,838
  • IMG_20170222_063016.jpg
    IMG_20170222_063016.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 1,610
  • wp_ss_20170221_0002.png
    wp_ss_20170221_0002.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,758
Last edited:

thebreed

May 14, 2016
Rijeka
No crashes so far.
I've set the pagefile to 128 768. Facebook (internal storage) loads in a snap without Messenger, Messenger (internal storage) loads in a snap without Facebook, but it doesn't work if you have both of them installed. Maybe I'll up the maxmem a bit. :) Thanks for the info. :)

640XL 15031

UPDATE#1: 512 1024 works fine. I have 2 gigs of internal mem free though.

UPDATE #2: 1024 1536 works fine. Now Facebook and Messenger can coexist on internal storage, and both work fine. Much, much better than before. Happy.

If this is a placebo effect, I don't mind. :D

Last edited:

SouraTR

Nov 4, 2016
Kolkata
It will do that for two reasons:
1. You changed the location of the page file to something other than "u:\pagefile.sys". If you change it, the size will stop showing up in storage settings.
2. You set the minimum size of the page file to "0".

Confirmed
When I change the string to 256 768, it shows VM as 0 bytes
Changed it 768 768
Now VM is 597MB
The device feels a little snappier

Reactions: thebreed

ondy182

Jan 31, 2016
I've got interop tools installed and changing the value doesn't work. It stays the same (256). Any help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Additional Info:
    1. Setting the location of the page file to anything other than "u:\pagefile.sys" will cause storage sense to display a virtual memory size of 0 MB. To verify that your change worked, enable MTP Root Access in Interop Tools, plug your phone into a pc, and then navigate to the location of the new page file and verify that it was created.

2. Don't set the max size of the page file to be larger than the amount of free space available in the "apps and games" area of the phone. Setting the max limit too close to the amount of free space will cause crashes as the apps will lose "breathing room".

Edit 2:

After playing with this for a while, I discovered that the phone prefers a static page file. The settings that gave me consistently good results without crashing was to move the pagefile to the system partition (c:\pagefile.sys) and to lock it at 512 512. I am on rs1.

There appears to be an rs1 bug that if the memory usage goes beyond a certain number, the phone will become unstable. This is unrelated to the page file adjustment. How do I know? My brand new Alcatel IDOL 4S with Windows 10 gets wonky if I open too many apps. It has 4GB or RAM that is OS limited to 3.5 GB.

That's cuz people are dumb....the trick is to make it dynamic and let the OS resize it as needed. Locking the page file to a static size isn't even recommended by Microsoft, so I'm shocked they do it with Windows phone...
    The system partition is also very tiny, so if a large pagefile is desired, the path should be modified from u:\pagefile.sys to u:\Data\pagefile.sys.
    U:\ is already mapped to the data partition, so there is no need to change this.

Also, never NEVER move the pagefile to an SD card. That's just asking for trouble....
    It worked magiccccc
    Guys any noob tutorial please ,,,