HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

Search This thread

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
This is only confirmed working for the AT&T Lumia 1520 and may work as is for other phones but also might require tweaks to the XML (see below). It is very possible to brick your phone with this. Your mileage may vary!

From a high level this works by using FiddlerCore to intercept the traffic going to the Microsoft WPflights server that controls the Insider app and responds with our own custom data. The app accepts registry editing information from the web responses and acts upon that. This allows us to write stuff to select locations in the registry. In the case of the Windows 10 Preview, it appears to only look for your phone's PhoneManufacturerModelName to decide if it should be offered previews. Windows Update also checks this value. Other devices like Samsungs or HTCs may need different settings. My phone did revert to it's factory values after Windows 10 was installed (I actually think it might have done it after Windows 8.1 was installed but it continued with 10 nonetheless).

1. For the Lumia 1520 (and other phones?) reset your phone using the Windows Phone recovery tool. I recommend not logging in and setting everything up yet and just waiting til the end and doing a reset and letting it restore after you’re on Windows 10. This may not be required for your device but most likely is due to the space issue cited by Microsoft. You can see your available space in the About menu of the Windows Insiders app. Before resetting mine was ~200mb and after it was ~600mb. You can try without resetting but may get an error after it tries to download and install the update.
2. Install the [url=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=522524]Windows Insider app
on your phone (you will need to have a store account configured)
3. Open the insiders app and go to the about options in the app bar and screenshot/make notes/email the settings to yourself. You may need this later.
4. Download and extract the WPInsidersHacks app (attached to this post) to your computer
5. Start the WPInsiderHacks app on pc, approve any firewall requests
6. Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port
7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app
8. Tap on the link at the bottom to the fiddler root certificate
9. When prompted click open and then install to trust the cert and ok at the confirmation
10. Run the Windows Insider app and tap get preview builds
11. Tap on which custom action you’d like to perform. In my case I hit "Set to ATT Lumia 635" and click the arrow at the bottom
12. Accept the agreement and click the check mark at the bottom. the app will close
13. Now clear your proxy settings and run the insider app again
14. Tap get preview builds and login with your Microsoft account
15. Select the fast branch (if you’re reading this of course you want the fast branch) and click the arrow at the bottom
16. Go into the phone settings and check for updates. With any luck you should have Windows 10 there for you to install. On my AT&T 1520 it had to do 8.1 first but it kept going to 10 after 8.1 installed (had to check for updates again)
17. You’ll probably want to go into the settings and do another reset and then log into the phone and let it restore your previous data

The Windows Insider options are populated from the WPFlights.xml file. Feel free to edit/add stuff. I've experimented with writing to other keys but had mixed results. I wasn't able to write to the Software\Microsoft\Settings\{1DEF9B7D-2322-40eb-A007-16A75D5CDA6F} for example (seemed to not like the curly braces?). It should have all the same permissons as the preview for developers app. You'll just need to run the WPInsiderHacks app on your PC and point your phone's proxy settings to it if you want to go back and set something again (such as enabling tethering).

Attachments

• WPInsiderHacks.zip
    261.7 KB · Views: 162,809
  • WPInsiderHacks_src.zip
    35.7 KB · Views: 49,415
Last edited:

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
I just used this to install the TP on my Lumia 930 and .. it worked like a charm! phone is booting, OS is working! Thank you very much for the work you put into this! Really excited to try out the Preview now.. :)

Edit: I did change the target device ID from ATT though.
Confirmed working for the Lumia 930
Confirmed working for the Lumia 920

Last edited:

error0x0000034

Dec 28, 2013
wparea.de
Not working on my Lumia 535

tried it on a Lumia 535. After Setting no proxy again the Windows Insider app shows that there is no update available.

the about-setting Shows RM-975 correctly instead of RM-1089, but I think the FW Version needs to be changed too.
Does anyone know a fix? Tried it several times by now.

Last edited:

snickler

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 17, 2010
Dub V
www.sinclairinat0r.com
tried it on a Lumia 535. After Setting no proxy again the Windows Insider app shows that there is no update available.

the about-setting Shows RM-975 correctly instead of RM-1089, but I think the FW Version needs to be changed too.
Does anyone know a fix? Tried it several times by now.

Which carrier are you on? Sometimes you have to use device information for a phone on the same carrier as you're on for it to work.

tlgraber

Aug 16, 2008
I tried this with both a 520 and a 920. Everything works fine until I tap Get preview builds. I get the no builds message, but I know it's using the proxy because the WPInsiderHacks window gives this message:

** LogString: !SecureClientPipeDirect failed: System.IO.IOException Authenticati
on failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream. on pipe to (
CN=login.live.com, O=DO_NOT_TRUST, OU=Created by http://www.fiddler2.com)
** LogString: !SecureClientPipeDirect failed: System.IO.IOException Authenticati
on failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream. on pipe to (
CN=sn3301.storage.live.com, O=DO_NOT_TRUST, OU=Created by http://www.fiddler2.co
m)

Both devices get exactly the same result.

EDIT: I should clarify something: both the 920 and the 520 get this script. The 920 differs a bit on the device itself. Instead of going directly to the no builds page, an error pops up that says:

Server error
A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. Please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdaimatejam

Fullmetal99012

Nov 17, 2010
What would the registry entry for MOID be?

I have a non AT&T carrier, and I want to change that entry to be AT&T

win2k8man

Feb 22, 2008
Tried it on my Lumia 530 don't work i get we weren't able to find a preview build for you please confirm

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
www.steventroughtonsmith.com
For those asking, I've found you absolutely have to modify the WPFlights.xml PhoneManufacturerModelName to one that matches the carrier your device is from. In my case, I have a //Build/ (Rogers Canada) Lumia 920, and a Hong Kong unlocked 620 & 1520.

I managed to spoof the build check by using the following:

Unlocked/Hong Kong: RM-1027_1007
Rogers/Canada: RM-985_1004

http://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/566460948291260417

Also, wiping the devices first /with the Windows Phone Recovery Tool/ (not Reset in Settings->About) for the most part isn't optional; only the 920 for me had enough space to install without doing that

Hope this helps

ajay003

Oct 5, 2010
Melbourne
For those asking, I've found you absolutely have to modify the WPFlights.xml PhoneManufacturerModelName to one that matches the carrier your device is from. In my case, I have a //Build/ (Rogers Canada) Lumia 920, and a Hong Kong unlocked 620 & 1520.

Also, wiping the devices first /with the Windows Phone Recovery Tool/ (not Reset in Settings->About) for the most part isn't optional; only the 920 for me had enough space to install without doing that

Hope this helps
Hi, would you be able to upload your WPFlights.xml for me to have a look at what you have changed. For me it's not working. Cheers.

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
Hi, would you be able to upload your WPFlights.xml for me to have a look at what you have changed. For me it's not working. Cheers.

The line in the screenshot is what you'd need to change; nothing too complicated, but finding a valid model for your phone's carrier is the hard part (took me a lot of Googling to find the two I needed), hence why I posted mine

Reactions: Nehemoth

ajay003

Oct 5, 2010
Melbourne
The line in the screenshot is what you'd need to change; nothing too complicated, but finding a valid model for your phone's carrier is the hard part (took me a lot of Googling to find the two I needed), hence why I posted mine

Not working for me. I'm having Lumia 920 and the carrier rom is RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218. Here's my file attached. Am i doing something wrong?

Attachments

• WPFlights.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,366

win2k8man

Feb 22, 2008
What exactly did you google ? because the i am with is Telstra in Australia they have a prepaid Nokia Lumia 635 so where would i get the PhoneManufacturerModelName ?

th0mas96

Nov 23, 2012
German, Unlocked 830: RM-984_1002

For googling help: some forums automatically include the model variant in signatures of members, I just started with RM-984_10XX for 830 and tried increasing numbers for XX in order to find one that was posted a lot on german forums. Good luck! :D

Reactions: Nehemoth

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
Not working for me. I'm having Lumia 920 and the carrier rom is RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218. Here's my file attached. Am i doing something wrong?

Yeah, you just placed RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 into the XML - that's your existing device. You need to use the correct form for a 63x/730/830 on same carrier, not your existing 920. That's the hard part to find.

My 1520 was "RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222", which I substituted for "RM-1027_1007" (a Hong Kong Lumia 636) - from what I could tell it doesn't need the "apac_hong_kong" part, but it needs the valid number at the end, and I don't know an easy way to find out what that should be (took me 50 mins of Googling to find that one).

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

German, Unlocked 830: RM-984_1002

For googling help: some forums automatically include the model variant in signatures of members, I just started with RM-984_10XX for 830 and tried increasing numbers for XX in order to find one that was posted a lot on german forums. Good luck! :D

lmfao. I was far too lazy to try bruteforcing it, but again, that's why I posted my working ones! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is only confirmed working for the AT&T Lumia 1520 and may work as is for other phones but also might require tweaks to the XML (see below). It is very possible to brick your phone with this. Your mileage may vary!

From a high level this works by using FiddlerCore to intercept the traffic going to the Microsoft WPflights server that controls the Insider app and responds with our own custom data. The app accepts registry editing information from the web responses and acts upon that. This allows us to write stuff to select locations in the registry. In the case of the Windows 10 Preview, it appears to only look for your phone's PhoneManufacturerModelName to decide if it should be offered previews. Windows Update also checks this value. Other devices like Samsungs or HTCs may need different settings. My phone did revert to it's factory values after Windows 10 was installed (I actually think it might have done it after Windows 8.1 was installed but it continued with 10 nonetheless).

1. For the Lumia 1520 (and other phones?) reset your phone using the Windows Phone recovery tool. I recommend not logging in and setting everything up yet and just waiting til the end and doing a reset and letting it restore after you’re on Windows 10. This may not be required for your device but most likely is due to the space issue cited by Microsoft. You can see your available space in the About menu of the Windows Insiders app. Before resetting mine was ~200mb and after it was ~600mb. You can try without resetting but may get an error after it tries to download and install the update.
    2. Install the [url=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=522524]Windows Insider app
    on your phone (you will need to have a store account configured)
    3. Open the insiders app and go to the about options in the app bar and screenshot/make notes/email the settings to yourself. You may need this later.
    4. Download and extract the WPInsidersHacks app (attached to this post) to your computer
    5. Start the WPInsiderHacks app on pc, approve any firewall requests
    6. Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port
    7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app
    8. Tap on the link at the bottom to the fiddler root certificate
    9. When prompted click open and then install to trust the cert and ok at the confirmation
    10. Run the Windows Insider app and tap get preview builds
    11. Tap on which custom action you’d like to perform. In my case I hit "Set to ATT Lumia 635" and click the arrow at the bottom
    12. Accept the agreement and click the check mark at the bottom. the app will close
    13. Now clear your proxy settings and run the insider app again
    14. Tap get preview builds and login with your Microsoft account
    15. Select the fast branch (if you’re reading this of course you want the fast branch) and click the arrow at the bottom
    16. Go into the phone settings and check for updates. With any luck you should have Windows 10 there for you to install. On my AT&T 1520 it had to do 8.1 first but it kept going to 10 after 8.1 installed (had to check for updates again)
    17. You’ll probably want to go into the settings and do another reset and then log into the phone and let it restore your previous data

The Windows Insider options are populated from the WPFlights.xml file. Feel free to edit/add stuff. I've experimented with writing to other keys but had mixed results. I wasn't able to write to the Software\Microsoft\Settings\{1DEF9B7D-2322-40eb-A007-16A75D5CDA6F} for example (seemed to not like the curly braces?). It should have all the same permissons as the preview for developers app. You'll just need to run the WPInsiderHacks app on your PC and point your phone's proxy settings to it if you want to go back and set something again (such as enabling tethering).
    000-DE is the Operator Name, it is an unlocked German Version.

Try replacing the WPFlights.xml in the app with this one in the RAR. I added the string to brand it to ATT-US as RM-975_1005 is an AT&T Lumia 635. This SHOULD work.
    First of all: Thank you RustyGrom for your nice hack and tool!

I have 2 comments:

1. It is quite risky to update your phone this way. The Windows 10 update does not include any model-specific updates. So, this update is safe. But when you change the model of your phone, you can accidentally get a wrong model-specific update for your phone. In theory, you can get a bootloader-update for a different phone, with different signatures. When this gets flashed to your phone, you're phone will not boot anymore (brick). So, if you want to update this way, I have this suggestion, to minimize the risk of getting a brick: Before you start to update to Windows 10, make sure you have all pending Windows 8.1 and Lumia updates installed. These updates need to be installed using your real phone model and carrier information. Also modify you WPFlights.xml file such that you an extra option that allows you to restore the original information of your phone. This original info is shown in the "Extra's + Info" in the Settings menu. Then start update procedure as per OP. After the update is complete, immediately restore your phone model back to original.

2. Setting the PhoneManufacturerModelName isn't usually enough. You have to set a supported combination of PhoneManufacturerModelName and PhoneMobileOperatorName. For example, the phone model in the WPFlights.xml from the OP is RM-975_1005, which is a model of an AT&T phone. If your operator isn't set to be AT&T, then the update procedure won't work. An example of a working combination is:

PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-976_1101
    PhoneMobileOperatorName: 000-FI

Be sure to set both properties back to original after the update. Both original values should be taken from "Extra's + Info" before the update!

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    just modifity your current WPFlight with that

Just add carrier changing in registry in original script, so it should look like that(this one should work)

I also attached my WPFlights, so you could try it.(Choose RM-976_1161 option)

P.S: Sorry for my bad eng.

<KeysToAdd>
    <RegistryKey>
    <KeyName>System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo</KeyName>
    <Subkeys/>
    <Values>
    <RegistryKeyValue>
    <Name>PhoneManufacturer</Name>
    <Value>NOKIA</Value>
    <ValueType>1</ValueType>
    </RegistryKeyValue>
    <RegistryKeyValue>
    <Name>PhoneManufacturerModelName</Name>
    <Value>RM-976_1161</Value>
    <ValueType>1</ValueType>
    </RegistryKeyValue>
    </Values>
    </RegistryKey>
    <RegistryKey>
    <KeyName>System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo</KeyName>
    <Subkeys/>
    <Values>
    <RegistryKeyValue>
    <Name>PhoneMobileOperatorName</Name>
    <Value>000-PL</Value>
    <ValueType>1</ValueType>
    </RegistryKeyValue>
    </Values>
    </RegistryKey>
    </KeysToAdd>

Hope this helps