Updated Windows Camera app for Windows 10 Mobile smartphones

Search This thread

A_Deerslayer

Jan 31, 2018
Minsk
As users have already discussed in this thread, it's possible to make work some apps for PCs on smartphones.
Several days ago Microsoft released a big Camera app update with new useful features (version 2017.1223.10.0). Seems, that it won't be officialy available for smartphones, but nevertheless it's possible to install it. Just complete several steps:

1) Uninstall a stock Camera app with help of Interop Tools.
2) Download modified AppxBundle from here.
3) Install downloaded AppxBundle.

The app works only on Windows 10 Mobile 1703 or higher (build 15063 or 15254).

If you want to restore the stock version, just delete this one and install stock Camera from the Microsoft Store.

I do not take any responsibility for the consequences of your actions. Do everything at your own risk.

Seems, that new app is working faster than the stock one. But there're some bugs as well - for example, physical camera button doesn't work on some devices, HDR doesn't work on some devices and etc. It depends on your phone model. You can find more info on it below, just read the discussion.

Update 6.02.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.130.10.0). Scaling files and language packs for Be, Cs, De, Es, Fr, Lv, Pl, Ru, Uk, Uz are now included.
Update 14.02.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.209.10.0).
Update 01.03.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.226.10.0).
Update 04.04.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.309.60.0).
Update 03.07.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.426.70.0).

Source: wp-seven.ru.
Thanks @gus33000 for providing original AppxBundle package.

Last edited:

djtonka

Aug 1, 2010
City
Any advantageto stock one if MS droped support for mobile version in some point?

Last edited:

A_Deerslayer

Jan 31, 2018
Minsk
Any advantageto stock one if MS droped support for mobile version in some point?
Yes, there're some.
Stock one works with physical button (as I have told, modified one doesn't), with live photos (this feature is cut from this new version) and switches between Camera and Photos apps faster. New version can also be buggy, you know.
But this new version is overally faster (startup is immediate even on Lumia 735), has more settings related to the photo/video quality and remembers the last used mode. It's possible, that more features coming in the future.

Reactions: zakabir4

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
How is it disabling living images I wonder... Can we re-enable it back?

marianodelfino

Apr 30, 2015
As users have already discussed in this thread, it's possible to make work some apps for PCs on smartphones.
Several days ago Microsoft released a big Camera app update with new useful features (version 2017.1223.10.0). Seems, that it won't be officialy available for smartphones, but nevertheless it's possible to install it. Just complete several steps:

2) Download modified Zip from here.
3) Install downloaded AppxBundle by enabling Deployment mode in Interop Tools and registering AppxManifest.xml.

If you want to restore the stock version, just delete this one and install stock Camera from the Microsoft Store.

I do not take any responsibility for the consequences of your actions. Do everything at your own risk.

Seems, that new app is working faster than the stock one. But there're some bugs as well - for example, physical camera button doesn't work, some users report that HDR doesn't work and etc. It can depend on your phone model.

Source.

HDR works for me, i'm not a photo pro so, pardon me if i'm wrong... The flicker reduction is the video stabilizer?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
HDR works for me, i'm not a photo pro so, pardon me if i'm wrong... The flicker reduction is the video stabilizer?
I think the flicker is what you get from viewing refresh rates or eletrical frequency of your envionment. Set that to what the environment around you is and you should avoid more or eliminate video flickering during recording.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

I installed this on my 950 XL and it works fairly well. I got a lot more heat more quickly when loading it and using, so for now I uninstalled...The living images missing is not a total loss, and it disables auto hdr or seems to on my 950 XL. I cannot toggle the flash after enabling HDR either. This occurs like this on the IDOL 4s and Elite X3 by default in the mobile app so not like I am not use to seeing it....

I do not do much video recording so for me there is not much use for the flicker reduction.

Last edited:

rateiosu

Oct 5, 2015
Worked very fine for me. Even I can change the photo/video size at my own will! That's neat.

kukmikuk

Mar 17, 2015
Good job, A_Deerslayer, THANKS!! Any chance to add czech support lang (CameraApp_2017.1223.10.0_language-cs.appx)?? It would be very useful, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
What are you guys noticing as benefits from this app over the Mobile only version. We already know some of the shortcomings...Thanks.

kukmikuk

Mar 17, 2015
What are you guys noticing as benefits from this app over the Mobile only version. We already know some of the shortcomings...Thanks.

You can choose aspect ratio (6, 3,8, 0,9MP) and save data. Only this benefit I think, but on some older Lumias saving data is good.

A_Deerslayer

Jan 31, 2018
Minsk
I miss pt-BR Language too. :silly:

I don't see such language pack in the original app. Only Pt, not Pr-Br.

You can choose aspect ratio (6, 3,8, 0,9MP) and save data. Only this benefit I think, but on some older Lumias saving data is good.

So, benefits depend on your phone model and your usual experience with the Camera app.
The modification works faster on my Lumia 735, it has these additional photo / video settings, it remembers last used mode. I have no problems with it - everything works properly, even the shufter setting (which didn't work in the original Camera app for mobile).

Of course, there're some problems on other phones. I have heard, that the hardware button doesn't take photo on Lumia 930 and Lumia 1020, that HDR doesn't work on some models, that Lumia 950 users have lost some options. Also live images aren't here. These bugs doesn't affect me, but can affect other users. So you and only you can decide whether to use this mod or not.
If it will be useful for someone, I'll be happy. If not - I won't be unhappy.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
I only used it for a short period of time. On my 950 XL OIS seemed turned off unless in Recording mode. The HW button would not respond as a shutter key anymore too. This might be a good app for older models like you mention. 640/730 etc

Donz7733

Feb 17, 2016
Mangalore
I am getting this error while installing "A prerequisite for an install could not be satisfied" (Tried Package installer app and device portal)
Any solutions?

Lumia 730
Build: 14393.2007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2) Download modified AppxBundle from here.
    3) Install downloaded AppxBundle.

The app works only on Windows 10 Mobile 1703 or higher (build 15063 or 15254).

Seems, that new app is working faster than the stock one. But there're some bugs as well - for example, physical camera button doesn't work on some devices, HDR doesn't work on some devices and etc. It depends on your phone model. You can find more info on it below, just read the discussion.

Update 6.02.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.130.10.0). Scaling files and language packs for Be, Cs, De, Es, Fr, Lv, Pl, Ru, Uk, Uz are now included.
    Update 14.02.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.209.10.0).
    Update 01.03.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.226.10.0).
    Update 04.04.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.309.60.0).
    Update 03.07.18: modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.426.70.0).

Source: wp-seven.ru.
    The post has been updated. Modification is now based on the newer app version (2018.130.10.0), which brings some bug fixes (stop button while recording videos works properly, etc).
    Scaling files and language packs for Be, Cs, De, Es, Fr, Lv, Pl, Ru, Uk, Uz are included.
    Yes, there're some.
    Stock one works with physical button (as I have told, modified one doesn't), with live photos (this feature is cut from this new version) and switches between Camera and Photos apps faster. New version can also be buggy, you know.
    But this new version is overally faster (startup is immediate even on Lumia 735), has more settings related to the photo/video quality and remembers the last used mode. It's possible, that more features coming in the future.
    Camera modification has been updated to version 2018.209.10.0.
    Camera modification has been updated to the version 2018.426.70.0. There're some new features such as rotating photos and HDR Auto mode.