FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TileIconifier v2.2 - Native tile shortcuts to anything, with resize and move!

242 posts
Thanks Meter: 56

By Jonno12345, Senior Member on 15th March 2016, 09:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
TileIconifier

Build small or medium tiles for almost any application in Windows 8.1 or 10 (Build 1511 / 10586+)!

Features:

* Customisable Small and Medium tiles, with configuration remembered between uses

* Dark and light skins

* Picker to allow icons from EXE, DLL and ICO files

* Ability to use most image file types (Including PNG/JPG/BMP/ICO)

* Ability to create custom shortcuts to ANY file/folder on your machine, which allows you to have multiple shortcuts with different arguments to the same executable

* Automatically populate Windows Store Apps

* Automatically populates installed Steam games

* Automatically populates Chrome Apps

* Choose from a list of useful Explorer shortcuts

*Change icon size and position with live preview of background colour and text overlay

* Completely open source

Downloads:

Please find the repository and latest releases here at my GitHub: https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases

Bugs:

None that I know of, but let me know as soon as you find something and I'll resolve it ASAP!

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can you add Wide and Large tiles?

Unfortunately these options are only available for Live tiles, not standard LNK files with a VisualManifest, which is how this utility works. Unless Microsoft add support for it, this feature cannot be added in the near future.

Microsoft Office/Mozilla Firefox/Other shortcuts aren't working, can these be tiled?

There is some mechanism I have yet to understand overriding these from being tiled. The easiest way to resolve this is to go to your shortcut within TileIconifier and click 'Quick Build Custom Shortcut'. This will create a second shortcut with the same parameters that can be tiled, which you will then find in your start menu under 'TileIconify'.

How can I help?:

The source is there if you wish to make any amendments (The code itself could probably use a lot of optimisation). Otherwise, suggestions for UI improvements or features would be great! I have now started adding translations, if you're able to assist with these it would be great!

Donations:
Please be aware that donations are absolutely not required. This software will always be free, open source and supported to the best of my ability. If you would like to support me with this and future aplications, please visit this link: https://www.paypal.me/Jonno12345

Thank you!
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Jonno12345 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jonno12345 Ad-Free

16th March 2016, 11:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Really cool. Works beautifully and uses a much better approach than all the alternatives imo. Just needs wide tile and large tile support.
17th March 2016, 04:49 AM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeopt

Just needs wide tile and large tile support.

I've honestly been waiting for a utility like this that can accomplish just that, but from what I've read, I'm not entirely sure it's possible.
If Jonno12345 can make this happen, I would be very impressed and basically kiss his feet.
17th March 2016, 05:47 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotheit

I've honestly been waiting for a utility like this that can accomplish just that, but from what I've read, I'm not entirely sure it's possible.
If Jonno12345 can make this happen, I would be very impressed and basically kiss his feet.

Unfortunately we're all just piggy-backing off the VisualManifest.xml available, which doesn't have a specification for wide or large tiles. At least at the moment, making live tiles is the only way to achieve this. That said, if I ever think of a way I'll be sure to share
17th March 2016, 10:11 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno12345

Unfortunately we're all just piggy-backing off the VisualManifest.xml available, which doesn't have a specification for wide or large tiles.

Yep. It's unfortunate, because if it did support wide and large tiles, I wouldn't honestly care about live tiles. The tiles are just a really quick, easy way to customize your start menu, and have it look nice.
19th March 2016, 05:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This is amazing! I love the option simply to extract the default program icon - 90% of the time, this is really all I want to do so I'm already over the moon about this program. Thank you!

The one drawback I see currently is that the custom color picker only seems to support codes that comprise just numbers. Using #ffb900 for a gold, gives back a kind of error - the box where you put in the custom color goes red and changes are not saved.

I actually don't need the wide and large tile support, personally, so if you fix the color picker, this program is basically feature-complete as far as I'm concerned
19th March 2016, 07:32 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDesrosiers

This is amazing! I love the option simply to extract the default program icon - 90% of the time, this is really all I want to do so I'm already over the moon about this program. Thank you!

The one drawback I see currently is that the custom color picker only seems to support codes that comprise just numbers. Using #ffb900 for a gold, gives back a kind of error - the box where you put in the custom color goes red and changes are not saved.

I actually don't need the wide and large tile support, personally, so if you fix the color picker, this program is basically feature-complete as far as I'm concerned

Oooh dear, I was testing validation ages ago and forgot to actually set it for hexadecimal...! I do apologise... Will fix that immediately, check back in 10

Edit: Uploaded a new build where it'll let you use #ffb900. Whoopsy
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonno12345 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jonno12345 Ad-Free
19th March 2016, 08:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno12345

Oooh dear, I was testing validation ages ago and forgot to actually set it for hexadecimal...! I do apologise... Will fix that immediately, check back in 10

Edit: Uploaded a new build where it'll let you use #ffb900. Whoopsy

Thank you - this is awesome!
19th March 2016, 09:01 PM |#9  
Flag Frankfurt am Main
Thanks Meter: 593

More
That's indeed pretty nice and awesome, @Jonno12345 Thanks for that.

May I ask if it could be possible to add an icon scaling option to the tile?
So it's customizable how big the Icon would be shown on the tile?

But that's just a wish I'm glad about your tool as it is. Thanks again.
//EDIT:
Oh, and speaking about wishes, can you give TileIconifier a nice dark skin ^^
20th March 2016, 10:12 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidShift79

//EDIT:

Good thoughts - I'll see what I can do
20th March 2016, 08:18 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidShift79

//EDIT:

Have added a light and dark skin on the latest release - I'm not sure how happy with it I am currently, some feedback would be good!

Tweaked a few other things but haven't looked at the icon scaling yet. Still in mind though..!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonno12345 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jonno12345 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)