FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Android on Surface Pro?

Yes! Android beats Windows.

3 Vote(s)
15.00%
Yes! Multi boot unlocks potential!

15 Vote(s)
75.00%
Huh!? What's an Android or a Surface?

0 Vote(s)
0%
No! The Surface was built for Windows.

1 Vote(s)
5.00%
No! Android sucks!

1 Vote(s)
5.00%

Android x86 on Surface Pro 4

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Bambalacha, Junior Member on 9th July 2018, 08:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys,

I've been browsing multiple forums and have tried multiple solutions to get Android running as a second OS next to Windows 10 but haven't been able to get a stable working touchscreen.
I see a few posts saying that Bliss has added drivers for the Microsoft Surface touchscreens. I've tried multiple installations containing the tag "surface-pro-4" and "sp4". My findings are that the touchscreen is indeed working after installation, however it stops working after a while. Sometimes a minute after I boot up without doing anything, sometimes during a game, it seems completely random.
I've also tried different versions of the Phoenix OX, which gives me exactly the same issues. I've been searching the interwebs and found more people with this issue. I also found some posts of people claiming they have been able to stabalize the touchscreen, however I haven't been able to get in contact with them.

I'm pretty new to Android when it comes to running the OS on an x86 machine, but I know my way around Linux. If there's anything that should be modified I'd like to hear your thoughts as well. I don't need a complete how-to, just some directions for what to look for and I'll figure it out.
When I look at the issue, my gut points me to power saving options. However the fact that the screen so randomly stops working is not really in line with this thought.

My question: Has anyone managed to get a stable version of Android running on the Surface Pro 4 with a working touchscreen? If so, could you let me know which image you used for installation? I don't really care about the Android version (it doesn't have to ben 8.1), as long as I can get it running stable (not too old of course).

I'd love to hear your experiences or thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance, if anyone needs more information, please let me know and I'll be happy to supply.

Should I get it working at some point, I'd be more than happy to write a full how-to and post it here on the forums.

Kind regards.

21st July 2018, 09:02 AM |#2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I have one dual booting Bliss and working well. You'll need a bleeding edge rom. I'm running Bliss-v10.1-Beta-android_x86_64-OFFICIAL-20180602-1820_k4.16.8-ipts-blissified-ath_18.1.0-devel_w14_sp4.iso. In fact, I'm posting this from my Surface Pro running Bliss.
17th August 2018, 06:55 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze62

I have one dual booting Bliss and working well. You'll need a bleeding edge rom. I'm running Bliss-v10.1-Beta-android_x86_64-OFFICIAL-20180602-1820_k4.16.8-ipts-blissified-ath_18.1.0-devel_w14_sp4.iso. In fact, I'm posting this from my Surface Pro running Bliss.

What do I need to do to boot the dual (win10-Android)
10th November 2018, 05:57 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze62

Did you install a different kernel or just the blissOS rom mentioned? Thx
10th November 2018, 06:37 AM |#5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Running as is. A few caveats from 3 months use: 1. Battery usage is not monitored; 2. Seems to run the processor flat out, so battery life is not great and the tablet runs on the warm side; 3. Buttons don't work, so no external volume control and powering off takes a long button hold to force shut down; 4. You'll need the keyboard attached to select boot options.

The rom I'm using has been moved.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bli...iles/Official/
I've been looking at later builds, but they seem complicated to set up.
22nd April 2019, 12:42 AM |#6  

More
For me, I'm using surface pro 2017 (which I think not really different from the sp4) running phoenix os. It works fine but without Bluetooth, warm on the back, sleep mode doesn't work and there's no battery percentage (it's always 100%)
19th June 2019, 10:25 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Try Prime OS (mainline) version on Surface Pro
I'm playing around with PrimeOS on SurfacePro1 in liveboot mode. Almost everything seems to be working well.
Pros
Bluetooth and wifi works
Hardware buttons work well.
Games like PubG run smoothly. Button mapping is baked into the ROM
Even the pen works with well. I've tried the skechbook Android app
*One note app says that it does not support Android app on Intel devices

Cons
Sleep mode does not work like it does on phones and tabs. It'll just turn the display black and it's probably still running. Screen bleeding is obvious which is a surfacePro1 issue.
25th June 2019, 03:30 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi, anyone know how possible fix flicker on surface pro 4 i7 8gb ram? I try all from youtube.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)