FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

ARM64 Windows apps!

180 posts
Thanks Meter: 150
 
By black_blob, Senior Member on 10th December 2016, 11:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here is the thread, PuTTY is the first app in the downloads section

XDA:DevDB Information
Apps for cellular PCs (ARM64), Tool/Utility for the Windows RT General

Contributors
black_blob

Version Information
Status: Testing

Created 2016-12-10
Last Updated 2016-12-10
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to black_blob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift black_blob Ad-Free
 
 
10th December 2016, 12:10 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
This is awesome!!
Is this a future for a collection of a quality Apps in this platform?
Regards,
10th December 2016, 12:37 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 150
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by McShaz

This is awesome!!
Is this a future for a collection of a quality Apps in this platform?
Regards,

Yes, for native instead of dynamically recompiled apps.
11th December 2016, 09:43 AM |#4  
valuxin's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
Donate to Me
More
Also, would be great to see both 32bit and 64bit version of compiled apps in future, as there is no so much software/hardware solutions exists with ARM64 support.
12th December 2016, 08:08 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Would the OpenVPN client be able to be recompiled for ARM64?
12th December 2016, 04:44 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
How affect this to the users of Windows RT?
Are working on something big secret?
Thank's for all. You are a genius
12th December 2016, 06:58 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
Donate to Me
More
But all the devices with windows RT are 32bit, are they? can this run on our 32bit tablets?
13th December 2016, 10:13 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notass

But all the devices with windows RT are 32bit, are they? can this run on our 32bit tablets?

Unfortunately for now the answers is no, since the currently supported processor to run Windows 10 on ARM is Snapdragon 835 (although they've demoed it on 820) and it's very unlikely. But, who knows?
The Following User Says Thank You to arudei For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arudei Ad-Free
14th December 2016, 12:57 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 150
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notass

But all the devices with windows RT are 32bit, are they? can this run on our 32bit tablets?

No. Stuff compiled for RT doesn't run in ARM64 Windows also.
10th January 2018, 09:41 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_blob

No. Stuff compiled for RT doesn't run in ARM64 Windows also.

Has anyone been able to confirm this? I would have expected it to do 32bit to 64bit WOW like x86 windows does, but without one to try, I'm just guessing, and probably showing my ignorance of the difference between 32bit and 64bit ARM architecture in general (pretty sure it's more complex than 32bit vs 64bit x86 but don't really know the in's and out's of it).

Alternately, has anyone had a chance to play with one of these Windows 10 ARM devices yet? Does it actually allow arm-compiled win32 apps to run? I have a nagging doubt that maybe somehow Microsoft will have some dumb restriction that only allows x86 win32 apps to run through the translation layer, and not native third party win32 apps (i.e. RT all over again), even though it's supposed to be "full windows".
11th January 2018, 06:55 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 355
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domboy

Has anyone been able to confirm this? I would have expected it to do 32bit to 64bit WOW like x86 windows does, but without one to try, I'm just guessing, and probably showing my ignorance of the difference between 32bit and 64bit ARM architecture in general (pretty sure it's more complex than 32bit vs 64bit x86 but don't really know the in's and out's of it).

Alternately, has anyone had a chance to play with one of these Windows 10 ARM devices yet? Does it actually allow arm-compiled win32 apps to run? I have a nagging doubt that maybe somehow Microsoft will have some dumb restriction that only allows x86 win32 apps to run through the translation layer, and not native third party win32 apps (i.e. RT all over again), even though it's supposed to be "full windows".

64bit ARM is structured completely differently than 32bit ARM. Hence the incompatibility. Manufacturers have the option of disabling third party ARM apps to run, unlike with RT. ASUS already has said they will, I don't know about others, but they most likely will.
The Following User Says Thank You to Qiangong2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Qiangong2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes