developing application for Win CE 6.0 in C language using Visual Studio 2005/2008

Search This thread
Sep 19, 2017
Hello XDA forum members,

How are you.

I am new to Win CE development and looking to develop application using C languages using Visual Studio 2005/2008 on Win 7(64 Bit) machine.

I don't have the real handset device on which the application can be tested upon, so is there any possibility of Emulator to check our application developed.

Please let me know the process, tutorials and tools.

thanks in advance.
Raj

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Hi Mich-C,

I'm still interested. What tools are needed to start building ? :) I have C knowledge. Just don't know the specific tools for CE 6.0 development.

Thanks.
Ok.
That's what I've learned by myself:

---Programming Language:
You need to learn an object oriented language.
You can use Visual Basic .NET or C#.
I advice you C# (I developed some WinMo apps with this language)
If you have experience with C only, is better to understand the foundamentals of O.O. languages uppermost.

---Development Environment
You could use IDEs provided by Microsoft but they're quite heavy and I don't reccomend them to start.
Intead, I advice you the Sharp Develop IDE, it's light, free and open source.

---Emulators (part1)
You can download from the official Microsoft website many Windows Mobile emulators. They're released as .msi file so you can install them with just a few clicks, like any other .exe installation file.
I advice you the Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5 Professional emulator.

---Emulators (part2)
Windows Mobile comes with the .net compact framework 2.0 runtime preinstalled. If you want to code and run any app you need to download here the .net compact framework 3.5. Then you can install that .cab on your emulator

---Emulators (part3)
Don't test your apps on real hardware.
PDAs and PPCs are quite slow but most of all they're at least 10 years old and they have very limited storage.
The more you'll write on memory, the more you'll slow down your device.
And unlike modern smartphone that has large storage and the new trim technology, the difference with PPCs is noticeable.

I'm curious to see your apps!!
Let me know if you have any question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traace

Traace

Mar 13, 2010
Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Mich-C appreciated. SharpDevelop looks almost like old Virtual Studio. I like that :D

AFAIK only version 3.2 is able to build for net framework compact 3.5
I got the .Net CF 3.5 Power Toys and Windows Mobile 6 Professional + Standard SDK Refresh already.

Just framework 3.5 SDK is hard to find. Microsoft removed these older SDKs from their web. Can you provide me a link?

Reactions: Mik-el

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Mich-C,

I'm still interested. What tools are needed to start building ? :) I have C knowledge. Just don't know the specific tools for CE 6.0 development.

Thanks.
    Ok.
    That's what I've learned by myself:

---Programming Language:
    You need to learn an object oriented language.
    You can use Visual Basic .NET or C#.
    I advice you C# (I developed some WinMo apps with this language)
    If you have experience with C only, is better to understand the foundamentals of O.O. languages uppermost.

---Development Environment
    You could use IDEs provided by Microsoft but they're quite heavy and I don't reccomend them to start.
    Intead, I advice you the Sharp Develop IDE, it's light, free and open source.

---Emulators (part1)
    You can download from the official Microsoft website many Windows Mobile emulators. They're released as .msi file so you can install them with just a few clicks, like any other .exe installation file.
    I advice you the Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5 Professional emulator.

---Emulators (part2)
    Windows Mobile comes with the .net compact framework 2.0 runtime preinstalled. If you want to code and run any app you need to download here the .net compact framework 3.5. Then you can install that .cab on your emulator

---Emulators (part3)
    Don't test your apps on real hardware.
    PDAs and PPCs are quite slow but most of all they're at least 10 years old and they have very limited storage.
    The more you'll write on memory, the more you'll slow down your device.
    And unlike modern smartphone that has large storage and the new trim technology, the difference with PPCs is noticeable.

I'm curious to see your apps!!
    Let me know if you have any question.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Mich-C appreciated. SharpDevelop looks almost like old Virtual Studio. I like that :D

AFAIK only version 3.2 is able to build for net framework compact 3.5
    I got the .Net CF 3.5 Power Toys and Windows Mobile 6 Professional + Standard SDK Refresh already.

Just framework 3.5 SDK is hard to find. Microsoft removed these older SDKs from their web. Can you provide me a link?