Unbrick your dead-boot lumia... WITHOUT JTAG!

Search This thread

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Wondering where I was? me too.
Long time has passed since the start of this post (almost 4 years to be exact), so I decided to finalize this finally and release the fully fledged guide. Interesting how this all got here just because me, a dumbass, formatted his Lumia 920 in Mass-Storage Mode in 2016.

So let's start.
First of all, make sure your device isn't in QHSUSB_DLOAD. After all if it is, you can just flash with WDRT or Thor2, and not spend so much time on that (see my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD).

Step 1
Disassemble your Lumia. You can use online video guides or just a service manual, doesn't really matter.

Step 2
Find the schematics of your device, most if not all are available online, afterwards, find R3209 resistor, yes, that legendary resistor which will force the device to QHSUSB_DLOAD.

Step 3
After finding it in schematics, find it on your device, approximately, since it is most likely under a metal shield, once found the approximate location, remove the shielding with heat, or if you are like me, start cutting it like death is coming.

Step 4
Now the interesting part, reconnect your phone's battery, this will ensure the phone isn't in any sort of state and is powered off. After, short the resistor to ground and connect your phone to PC while shorting, wait 2 seconds and remove the short.

Step 5
Voila!

Take a look at my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD, and recover your Lumia using it.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
Can you explain why you think this works?

I do this to Lumias that don't get detected but without cutting my USB cable. Pop the battery cable off the board and plug the cable into the phone. Then plug the battery cable ribbon back into the motherboard. Worked for me that way...

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Can you explain why you think this works?

I do this to Lumias that don't get detected but without cutting my USB cable. Pop the battery cable off the board and plug the cable into the phone. Then plug the battery cable ribbon back into the motherboard. Worked for me that way...

Sorry, but there are Lumias in the wild that doesn't support that way of connection.
They just don't get connected.

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Right, I get that.
My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
When you make the edl cable and hold the button while turning the lumia on, the cable works like a short jig. As in every device, the CPU is "starting" first, there's command that is implemented in the CPU that switches the device to EDL mode but in this case, as the boot is dead, it switches to Qualcomm F006 Mode in other words, Qualcomm Modem Mode, which is normal for hard bricked devices.
I read a guide about unbricking a DragonBoard 410c but it's done using some base firmware files which we don't have.

Reactions: nate0

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
When you make the edl cable and hold the button while turning the lumia on, the cable works like a short jig. As in every device, the CPU is "starting" first, there's command that is implemented in the CPU that switches the device to EDL mode but in this case, as the boot is dead, it switches to Qualcomm F006 Mode in other words, Qualcomm Modem Mode, which is normal for hard bricked devices.
I read a guide about unbricking a DragonBoard 410c but it's done using some base firmware files which we don't have.
Perfect! This is what I needed. Thanks.

My next question would be, how does this change for USB type c windows phone hardware or is it even applicable?

I'm assuming it should be in some way applicable, but it might depend on the device. So what might work for Lumias might not apply to Alcatel hardware etc. or vice versa.

I ask this because I have a few hard bricked devices either in QC USB modem mode or the like.

Another question would be can this method be used to boot a device into edl/USB modem mode even if it is not hard bricked yet?

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Perfect! This is what I needed. Thanks.

My next question would be, how does this change for USB type c windows phone hardware or is it even applicable?

I'm assuming it should be in some way applicable, but it might depend on the device. So what might work for Lumias might not apply to Alcatel hardware etc. or vice versa.

I ask this because I have a few hard bricked devices either in QC USB modem mode or the like.

Another question would be can this method be used to boot a device into edl/USB modem mode even if it is not hard bricked yet?
Answering to your Question 1:
No, this is not applicable for USB Type C hardware Windows Phones, as they run completely differently (which I didn't do research about).
Answering to your Question 2:
No, this only works with Lumias with Bootloader Spec A, and not with other brand manufactured Lumias.
Answering to your Question 3:
Yes you can enter the QHUSB_DLOAD mode if the device is not even bricked.

Finsther

Oct 24, 2017
hi dude, i have a problem my computer detects the phone as QHSUSB_BULK, do you think this tutorial can work? regards

gmirz2005

Jun 18, 2017
Yerevan
Could this work without disconnecting the battery? What is the reason for that?
I have a Lumia 1020 with the problems listed in this link: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78640119&postcount=830
thor2 seems to be useless with the same "authentication error" and WDRT also doesn't work.

Edit: Also, why is your battery blown? Is it because of this process?
My Battery is blown due to incorrect removing (it was glued)
Yes you need to disconnect the battery so the device looses full power so then you can enter to DLOAD mode

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
My Battery is blown due to incorrect removing (it was glued)
Yes you need to disconnect the battery so the device looses full power so then you can enter to DLOAD mode

Do you happen to know how to get the RDC files for Lumia phones? It looks like if I get that, I can fix my 1020 without openning it up.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
Would my Lumia 1020 with JTAG eFuse blown and without RnD certification (UEFI secure boot is enabled) work with this method? Could this circumvent these issues and still flash my phone back to its original FFU?
Thanks.

Tiago117

Jan 10, 2019
Trying it but not working. Phone still boots to same message of "Unable to find a bootable option".
Laptop not recognizing anything. Maybe the cable connections aren't correct.
Will try to directly short the green and black cables to one another with hands.
Also bought a new battery so should probably charge it fully first.

Edit: not working. Phone continues to boot to "Unable to find a bootable option".
The only difference is that with the short circuit between green and black, the laptop doesn't detect the phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wondering where I was? me too.
    Long time has passed since the start of this post (almost 4 years to be exact), so I decided to finalize this finally and release the fully fledged guide. Interesting how this all got here just because me, a dumbass, formatted his Lumia 920 in Mass-Storage Mode in 2016.

So let's start.
    First of all, make sure your device isn't in QHSUSB_DLOAD. After all if it is, you can just flash with WDRT or Thor2, and not spend so much time on that (see my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD).

Step 1
    Disassemble your Lumia. You can use online video guides or just a service manual, doesn't really matter.

Step 2
    Find the schematics of your device, most if not all are available online, afterwards, find R3209 resistor, yes, that legendary resistor which will force the device to QHSUSB_DLOAD.

Step 3
    After finding it in schematics, find it on your device, approximately, since it is most likely under a metal shield, once found the approximate location, remove the shielding with heat, or if you are like me, start cutting it like death is coming.

Step 4
    Now the interesting part, reconnect your phone's battery, this will ensure the phone isn't in any sort of state and is powered off. After, short the resistor to ground and connect your phone to PC while shorting, wait 2 seconds and remove the short.

Step 5
    Voila!

Take a look at my video on how to recover from QHSUSB_DLOAD, and recover your Lumia using it.
    Sorry, but there are Lumias in the wild that doesn't support that way of connection.
    They just don't get connected.
    Right, I get that.
    My question is more about if you understand what is happening when you trigger it to cycle on this way?
    Right, I get that.
    Ah, geez, man!.. No comment, heh; but, had to -just- comment!! Pfft. :)
    [emoji16]
    Not anymore though. Sold every one of them . Except one. Even sold all my prototypes...
    Trying it but not working. Phone still boots to same message of "Unable to find a bootable option".
    Laptop not recognizing anything. Maybe the cable connections aren't correct.
    Will try to directly short the green and black cables to one another with hands.
    Also bought a new battery so should probably charge it fully first.

Edit: not working. Phone continues to boot to "Unable to find a bootable option".
    The only difference is that with the short circuit between green and black, the laptop doesn't detect the phone.
    The first thing you want to do is to rescue your phone, it won't be more broken if you flash another Lumia 1020's efiesp.bin, after rescuing the phone, you can fully wipe everything and start over...