FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Windows Phone 8.1 MMS APN Settings Toggle

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By AR2186, Member on 16th February 2015, 09:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update: Now that we found a solution, I am updating this post with the instructions instead of leaving the solution further down in the thread.

Solution:
On Verizon (and possibly others), the ability to edit MMS APN settings is hidden. Thanks to the help of @RustyGrom and @AlvinPhilemon I was able to leverage the HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks) method and a modified WPFlights.xml to unhide the settings. This allows Verizon Windows Phones to run fully and properly on other GSM carriers networks (AT&T in my case)

I was not able to get this to work on Windows 10 TP, as there seems to be a few bugs in the way the APN's are functioning at the moment. Use this method if you want to enable MMS APN access in Windows Phone 8.1 (and most likely 8 as well).

Instructions:
1. Follow instructions from the thread created by @RustyGrom, however replace the WPFlights.xml file with the file attached to this post
2. If you are having problems downloading the certificate, install the full version of Fiddler and make sure to enable HTTPS
3. At the very bottom of the Windows Insider app, you should now have an option to "Unhide MMS APN" instead of "Enable Tethering" like in the original method. Click on the "Unhide MMS APN" and go through the instructions. Once you set it and restart the phone, you should see MMS APN

Warning: This could brick your phone, so use it at your own risk. I make no warranties on the method and am not responsible if it goes wrong
Attached Files
File Type: zip WPFlights.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.3 KB, 1474 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to AR2186 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AR2186 Ad-Free

17th February 2015, 02:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 196

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2186

Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but given the registry tweaks/hacks that you have all discovered I was hoping you might be able to help me out. I have a Lumia Icon (930 for Verizon in the US) and there is a setting in the registry to hide the MMS APN, meaning I can't get MMS to work properly on other networks (AT&T in my case). It should be as simple as changing to a 0 or 1 in the registry, but I can't seem to find the location toggle (though I was able to find the XML in the ROM that sets the setting a few months back - same one that shows whether things like ##3282# or ##778# works from the dialer). You used to be able to use Access Point to set the APN, but now that it doesn't work on 8.1 there is no workaround.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need me to try to dive into the phone registry / settings with the webserver I am more than happy to, as that is how I originally found XML that specifies it should be hidden.

Thanks

It is:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX]
"HideMMSAPN"="dword:00000000"
That's what it is on my Verizon HTC One M8 for Windows. It should be the same on yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlvinPhilemon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlvinPhilemon Ad-Free
17th February 2015, 04:18 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinPhilemon

It is:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX]
"HideMMSAPN"="dword:00000000"
That's what it is on my Verizon HTC One M8 for Windows. It should be the same on yours.

Thanks, appears to be there on my Lumia 1520 (AT&T, which was hidden in W10) and should be there on the Icon. I am going to have to find a way to write to it now, since the Icon doesn't have an SD card slot. I wonder if its possible to use the Windows Insider App
19th February 2015, 02:06 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Post deleted due to instructions moving to original post
The Following User Says Thank You to AR2186 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AR2186 Ad-Free
19th February 2015, 03:56 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Ok, I was able to get it to work using a modified version of the Windows 10TP for non-supported devices work-around. I edited the WPFlights.xml file to replace the "enable tethering" with "Unhide MMS APN". I am now up and running with on AT&T with my Lumia Icon (also tested/working on HTC One M8 for Windows from Verizon).

If you want to do this on your phone, basically follow the instructions here HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks) but replace the WPFlights.xml with the one I have attached. One heads up, I had to install the full version of Fiddler and enable HTTPS before I could install the certificate

Warning: This could brick your phone, so use it at your own risk.

Thanks @RustyGrom r the awesome work you did on the workaround, this is a very powerful tool. Thanks @AlvinPhilemon for the help finding the registry location

So on your Icon, you can now send group texts and picture messages? Also, cellular data is working consistently and not randomly crapping out?
19th February 2015, 04:08 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcheater3161

So on your Icon, you can now send group texts and picture messages? Also, cellular data is working consistently and not randomly crapping out?

Yes, works perfectly. Basically turned the Icon into the 930. MMS group and picture messaging has no problems, and internet seems to be consistent, though only H/H+ at the moment because I don't live in an area w/ AT&T AWS LTE. Here are the APN settings I used: Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings

On an unrelated note. Does anyone know where the registry keys for dialstrings are found? I'd like to try to re-enable Field Test Mode (##3282# on my 1520) to see if there are any hidden cellular bands available to be re-enabled (1520 actually does have 1700 Mhz AWS for H+, it just needs to be re-enabled in Field Test Mode settings)
19th February 2015, 04:11 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Yes, works perfectly. Basically turned the Icon into the 930. MMS group and picture messaging has no problems, and internet seems to be consistent, though only H/H+ at the moment because I don't live in an area w/ AT&T AWS LTE. Here are the APN settings I used: Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings

On an unrelated note. Does anyone know where the registry keys for dialstrings are found? I'd like to try to re-enable Field Test Mode (##3282# on my 1520) to see if there are any hidden cellular bands available to be re-enabled (1520 actually does have 1700 Mhz AWS for H+, it just needs to be re-enabled in Field Test Mode settings)

Ohhhh so you aren't using the Icon on Verizon. When I tried my Icon with the W10 TP, my data would work until I tried to send a picture message. Then the picture message would fail and my data would stop working. I'm wondering if W10 TP has problems with a CDMA network right now since basically no phones that are currently supported by it use CDMA...
19th February 2015, 04:15 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcheater3161

Ohhhh so you aren't using the Icon on Verizon. When I tried my Icon with the W10 TP, my data would work until I tried to send a picture message. Then the picture message would fail and my data would stop working. I'm wondering if W10 TP has problems with a CDMA network right now since basically no phones that are currently supported by it use CDMA...

I am having problems with my 1520 as well with MMS and Data, and it appears that other people in the other thread are having problems as well. I think its just buggy at this point, and I know there is something weird going on with APN's because I wasn't able to unhide the MMS APN in Windows 10, had to roll back to 8.1 to do it. Basically none of my registry edits were working as expected. The MMS APN even was hidden on the 1520 after it was showing in 8.1
19th February 2015, 04:24 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

I am having problems with my 1520 as well with MMS and Data, and it appears that other people in the other thread are having problems as well. I think its just buggy at this point, and I know there is something weird going on with APN's because I wasn't able to unhide the MMS APN in Windows 10, had to roll back to 8.1 to do it. Basically none of my registry edits were working as expected. The MMS APN even was hidden on the 1520 after it was showing in 8.1

Looks like we will just have to wait. It'll only be a month and then pretty much every other phone will be supported. We'll not only gain support, but probably a ton of changes and bugfixes along with it. I'm just so eager.
19th February 2015, 04:51 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 196

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The registry entry for DialStrings are as follows:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Phone\Settings]
"PartnerImmediateDialStrings"
"PartnerNonImmediateDialStrings"
The CustomPFD is unable to read MultiStrings so it cannot be read, and WebServer NativeAccess is unable to reach this entry so you need to find other means of cracking this.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlvinPhilemon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlvinPhilemon Ad-Free
12th August 2015, 03:46 AM |#11  
Columbus
Thanks Meter: 8

More
i followed all instructions and now have windows 10 TP ready for download, but cannot find the toggle to unhide MMS APN, and when I open the Insider app all it shows is the enroll Insider fast branch, which Ive already installed. I also used your modified file in place of the original. Help?

HTC One M8 Verizon factory unlocked running 8.1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)