FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[CAB] Windows Phone 8 update packages

1,605 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,473

By Heathcliff74, Inactive Recognized Developer on 17th August 2013, 12:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

In the attachment you'll find the links to Windows Phone 8 update packages. So far, I haven't done much research on it. I haven't looked into possibilities to flash these packages to Windows Phone 8 devices. For now, the download-links for these packages are only meant for research-purposes.

The GDR2 update for the NOKIA Lumia 920 consists of a total of 498 cab-files. These files are OS update-packages and driver packages from NOKIA and QUALCOMM. There are a lot more cab-files than in the Windows Phone 7 updates and the files are much smaller. The update is probably split up into many small packages for better performance of OTA updates.

Edit:
Added GDR1 updates (captured by AlvinPhilemon)
Added GDR3 updated

Ciao,
Heathcliff74
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heathcliff74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heathcliff74 Ad-Free

17th August 2013, 01:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
hmmm.... what to do with it?
I think I can not update my Ascend W1 with that
17th August 2013, 02:16 PM |#3  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Thanks Meter: 2,282

Donate to Me
More
as it looks to me , they got rid of the supercab's.

but they still use update,remove , canonical
and oem only uses spkg (same as for wp7.*)

mobilecore.updateos.spku_e43e93f600315a484bd7459ea66df61bf396832a.cab

baseos.mainos.halextensions.8960.spkg_2989d52c174d97ff90c2a9c4ffda264a7f18bca1.cab

nokiafirewall.spkr_f8143fae9eeded7f7fc1755978a25bfc78b71157.cab
17th August 2013, 06:43 PM |#4  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Dub V
Thanks Meter: 1,131

Donate to Me
More
HeathCliff! YES! It looks like the full crew is assembled now.
The Following User Says Thank You to snickler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2013, 06:47 PM |#5  
Flag Dub V

Donate to Me
More
I'm going to flash back to the 5951 update, run fiddler on the phone and see if I can spoof the windows updates into applying to my 920 (if that will be possible)
17th August 2013, 06:57 PM |#6  
Flag Dub V

Donate to Me
More
Question, does anyone happen to have the Carrier codes for the carrier in Sweden, Spain, and Australia? Example ATT-US for AT&T and ROG-CA for Rogers. I need the equivalent of those for this fun little test.
17th August 2013, 07:25 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 2,051

More
Btw, it looks like MS hasn't implemented traditional over-usb method to install cabs. During R&D I believe they apply them directly to file system.
The Following User Says Thank You to ultrashot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ultrashot Ad-Free
17th August 2013, 07:53 PM |#8  
Flag Dub V

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrashot

Btw, it looks like MS hasn't implemented traditional over-usb method to install cabs. During R&D I believe they apply them directly to file system.

It sure would be nice if they had a cab installer program like they did with WP7.
17th August 2013, 08:34 PM |#9  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,473

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, it's not just file-copy. Provisioning-files and registry-files need to be applied. Also, the filenames of the binaries in the package are not the same as the target-filenames. It could be that a reboot triggers further installation. For example, there is PhoneProvisioning.exe...

Heathcliff74
The Following User Says Thank You to Heathcliff74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heathcliff74 Ad-Free
17th August 2013, 08:52 PM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 2,051

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff74

Well, it's not just file-copy. Provisioning-files and registry-files need to be applied. Also, the filenames of the binaries in the package are not the same as the target-filenames. It could be that a reboot triggers further installation. For example, there is PhoneProvisioning.exe...

Heathcliff74

well, yeah, but it is still less "canonical" process if we compare it with CE
The Following User Says Thank You to ultrashot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ultrashot Ad-Free
18th August 2013, 06:10 PM |#11  
Flag Dub V

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

well, yeah, but it is still less "canonical" process if we compare it with CE

Alright, I trust that you and HeathCliff have this under control? . I really need to learn ARM/x86 Assembly and get back into C++. I feel useless sometimes :P.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)