FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Install W10 Mobile build 10240 on 930,640,640XL (links are back up) (Astoria)

174 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By BakedOnSomeSour, Senior Member on 6th August 2015, 12:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This post is rather old. If your looking for windows 10 mobile on your device you can download the windows insider app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...r/9wzdncrfjbhk
Build 10240 was a leaked build with project Astoria. If you want the build you can download it but its pretty old.

When you first get to the home screen immediately turn on airplane mode. After that go into settings and check for an update. It should say no updates found. Now you can turn airplane mode off and download app updates. The reason you must do this is because the phone will try downloading a system update but never actually starts downloading. The pending update causes all the app updates to wait until the system update is done. But it wont ever be done.

DOWNLOADS:

Lumia 930 - https://mega.nz/#F!JwpyBSxA!HJSIJehG6RD8YMmOd8NOGw
Lumia 640- https://mega.nz/#F!JwpyBSxA!HJSIJehG6RD8YMmOd8NOGw
Lumia 640Xl- https://mega.nz/#F!JwpyBSxA!HJSIJehG6RD8YMmOd8NOGw

Windows Phone Image Designer for flashing ROM https://mega.nz/#!k5I0zZLB!cIt5bD_qY...k1t_skydyvmnvM

Before flashing make sure you have a backup ffu. Flashing this ffu will change your product type so to revert back to normal you need to have a retail ffu file for your phone. If youve used the recovery tool before you should have a retail ffu file in C:>ProgramData>Microsoft>Packages.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PHONE.
WARNING: SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GETTING A SECOND SIM ICON ON THEIR PHONES AFTER FLASHING THESE ROMS EVEN AFTER REVERTING BACK TO WINDOWS PHONE 8.1 USING THE WPRT OR A BACKUP FFU. THE ICON WILL NOT GO AWAY AND CURRENTLY THERE IS NOT A SOLUTION TO FIX IT. IT ONLY OCCURS ON SOME PHONES NOT ALL. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

1. Download the ROM for your phone from the link above.
2.Download windows phone image designer from the link above.
3.Put your phone into UEFI mode by turning it off and then booting it while holding the VOLUME UP BUTTON. You should see a lightning bolt on your screen.
4.Plug your phone into your pc through Usb and open windows phone image designer. Select the x86 folder or the x64 folder depending on your version of windows.
5.Click on the Start.bat file and windows phone image designer will launch.
6.Once booted select "Flash a Windows Phone image onto your phone" and click next.
7. Your device should show up under flashable devices. Click on change and select the ROM you downloaded.
8. Hit "Flash" and wait for the program to finish flashing.
9. Once done your phone will reboot and you will have installed build 10240 on your device! 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150805_0002[1].png
Views:	20412
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	3429693   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150806_0001[1].jpg
Views:	21042
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	3430344   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150806_0002[1].png
Views:	20434
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	3430345   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150806_0003[1].jpg
Views:	19158
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	3430353   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150806_0004[1].png
Views:	18010
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	3430354  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BakedOnSomeSour For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BakedOnSomeSour Ad-Free

6th August 2015, 05:14 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
can you be more specific as in what way the "major improvements" are?

1. is store still slow and weird?
2. does slide down notification still weird, hit n miss kind a thing?
3. what about battery usage? improvement over 10166?
4. general stability, does it occasionally still restart? rarely but it happens i guess. and general responsiveness?

thanx for giving info
6th August 2015, 05:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Could you upload more photo !!
As I know this version has android 4.4 inside . could you find any android message ? what different with old ver ?

I am 640xl and had downloaded it too , But I have not courage flash it . because people could not go back to normal if flash this version .
6th August 2015, 03:07 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oelapoel

can you be more specific as in what way the "major improvements" are?

1. is store still slow and weird?
2. does slide down notification still weird, hit n miss kind a thing?
3. what about battery usage? improvement over 10166?
4. general stability, does it occasionally still restart? rarely but it happens i guess. and general responsiveness?

thanx for giving info

1. The store is a lot more fluid and loads pages faster. Downloads now seem to be smooth and free from errors.
2.slide down notification seems fine. No having to swipe down twice.
3.Battery usage overall seems the same as my lumia 640 when it had wp8.1 on it.
4.The general stability is great! Touch is very responsive and there are barely any "loading" screens when an app is launched.
6th August 2015, 03:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

As I know this version has android 4.4 inside . could you find any android message ? what different with old ver ?

I am 640xl and had downloaded it too , But I have not courage flash it . because people could not go back to normal if flash this version .

You can revert back to a normal build you just need the .ffu file for your phone. Everything really seems the same just a lot more smooth and faster.
7th August 2015, 02:23 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
ok great. thanx for the reply
8th August 2015, 09:04 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Are you using the AT&T version or a dual sim variant. I have been trying to flash on my At&t 640 xl with no luck at all.
8th August 2015, 08:42 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSymba

Are you using the AT&T version or a dual sim variant. I have been trying to flash on my At&t 640 xl with no luck at all.

I used a Lumia 640 LTE from T-Mobile. Its not a dual sim version but the rom is for a dual sim 640. It still works because both use the same software. The download above is not for the 640XL. Get the download link for the 640 XL above

I used windows phone image designer to flash the rom. Put the phone in ffu mode and your all set.

If you have further questions please ask
9th August 2015, 10:10 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 74

Donate to Me
More
Any other links for the Lumia 640 Rom? I can not download from that site. Thanks.
9th August 2015, 04:15 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
anyone have a mirror for 640xl?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon4248 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jon4248 Ad-Free
9th August 2015, 07:15 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After i flashed my lumia 640 lte single sim I noticed the second sim icon. (makes sense cause I flashed the dual sim image)
But after flashing back to 8.1 with the original image the icon is still there.
any ideas why?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)