FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Successfully de-brand AT&T Lumia 1020!

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By e-Pig, Junior Member on 6th October 2015, 08:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally de-brand AT&T Lumia 1020 (RM-877) successfully, this method may also work on any other Lumia Windows Phone!

Warning: This method is not fully tested, may brick your phone! Back up all data, and do not use this method to flash any incompatible ROMs!

Method A
  1. Update your AT&T Lumia 1020 to Windows 10 mobile and interop unlock it.
  2. Change the registry value of “DataStore” to “C:\EFIESP\efi\Nokia” in “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MTP”.
  3. Connect the phone to PC, open “Phone\PCONF”, copy “config.pcn” to your HDD and use a HEX editor to open it.
  4. Change P5217_ATT (HEX: 50 35 32 31 37 5F 41 54 54) to P5217 (HEX: 50 35 32 31 37 00 00 00 00) at offset 0x10, then save it.
  5. Copy modified “config.pcn” back to “Phone\PCONF” and overwrite it.
  6. Restart your phone and use flashing tools like “thor2.exe” to flash unbranded RM-875 rom!
Method B
  1. Download the update cab (Lumia 1020 ONLY)
    Then copy the cab file to an empty folder, e.g. “c:\cab”.
  2. Download and install the tools (Thanks WojtasXda!)
  3. Connect the phone to PC, then run cmd and go to “iutool.exe” folder (default: Program Files (x86)\Windows Phone Kits\8.1\Tools\bin\i386), type
    Code:
    iutool.exe -p c:\cab -V
    The phone should restart and install updates automatically (ignore ERROR: 0x8024a110)
  4. Flash unbranded RM-875 rom!
My AT&T Lumia 1020 is carrier unlocked, the method does not relock my phone.

We knew AT&T changed the Platform ID (P5217_ATT) to avoid flashing RM-875 rom (P5217). The flashing tools check the platform info values of the phone and the DevicePlatformID string from the rom. Lumia 635/820 has SD card, and the device info in the registry can be changed. After the phone checking and installing updates, it is unbranded. Thus the updates can change the Platform ID info of the phone. (Thanks pankaj981 for this guide)
I find the update cabs of an unbranded RM-876 phone (flashed RM-875 rom). Then using the iutool.exe to update AT&T RM-877 manually. After that, I flashed RM-877 with RM-875 rom successfully (Method B). Finally, I find “config.pcn” contains Platform ID. Thus for an interop unlocked phone, Method A may be easier.

Post here if you have any questions!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to e-Pig For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift e-Pig Ad-Free

7th November 2015, 09:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Lumia 640 AT&T
I can't seem to find the config.pcn on Lumia 640 AT&T, but I got access to EFIESP by using "C:\EFIESP" or "\EFIESP" (both work) for the DataStore.

I see from another forum users can edit the xml files found in "Windows Phone\Phone\Windows\Packages\DsmFiles", so is there anything else I can edit to remove the _ATT for Lumia 640 AT&T?
9th November 2015, 01:49 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qodexc

I can't seem to find the config.pcn on Lumia 640 AT&T, but I got access to EFIESP by using "C:\EFIESP" or "\EFIESP" (both work) for the DataStore.

I see from another forum users can edit the xml files found in "Windows Phone\Phone\Windows\Packages\DsmFiles", so is there anything else I can edit to remove the _ATT for Lumia 640 AT&T?

I've download the AT&T 940 rom (RM1073_059X0B8), and I find file "pconf.bin" in "PLAT" partition has the infomation about platform ID; but i'm not sure whether the modified file takes effect.
Code:
NAME=P6204_ATT
SWVERSION=02177.00000.15184.36000
To access "PLAT" partition ,the drive letter may need to be assigned. The information about mounted drive is in registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"
But the registry editors like vcREG have the limit:
Quote:

binary: when you read, the app will return 20 bytes, regardless of how long the binary is.

The key is stored in binary and may be longer than 20 bytes.
The "PLAT" partition is FAT12, I don't know if W10M were able to read it.

If you have an international Lumia 940 and it have a lower ROM version, you could use Fiddler to find all the update cabs like this.
If there is one which has the Platform ID, you could use iutool to update your AT&T 640 with that cab. This may be a lot work to do.

If just using the way here then updating to W10M?
Lumia 640 has SD card, and the DeviceTargetInfo can be edited in WP8.1. If the edited AT&T 640 was updated to W10M, the Platform ID may be changed. I'm not sure, but this seems easy to try.
10th November 2015, 06:31 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Pig

I've download the AT&T 940 rom (RM1073_059X0B8), and I find file "pconf.bin" in "PLAT" partition has the infomation about platform ID; but i'm not sure whether the modified file takes effect.

Code:
NAME=P6204_ATT
SWVERSION=02177.00000.15184.36000
To access "PLAT" partition ,the drive letter may need to be assigned. The information about mounted drive is in registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices"
But the registry editors like vcREG have the limit:

The key is stored in binary and may be longer than 20 bytes.
The "PLAT" partition is FAT12, I don't know if W10M were able to read it.

If you have an international Lumia 940 and it have a lower ROM version, you could use Fiddler to find all the update cabs like this.
If there is one which has the Platform ID, you could use iutool to update your AT&T 640 with that cab. This may be a lot work to do.

If just using the way here then updating to W10M?
Lumia 640 has SD card, and the DeviceTargetInfo can be edited in WP8.1. If the edited AT&T 640 was updated to W10M, the Platform ID may be changed. I'm not sure, but this seems easy to try.

It's definitely that pconf.bin values that needs to be edited. That plat partition is preventing me from flashing other roms, I'm getting "image targeting check failed Device: Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1, Image: Nokia.MSM8926.P6204". I tried updating to Windows 10 with modified DeviceTargetInfo, but I still get this error when I try to flash a CV rom.

I don't think I can edit the registry for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices", it showed something like "system.[]" for value. I think the only way is for someone to provide an international 640 platformid cab and use iutool.
13th November 2015, 04:10 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qodexc

It's definitely that pconf.bin values that needs to be edited. That plat partition is preventing me from flashing other roms, I'm getting "image targeting check failed Device: Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1, Image: Nokia.MSM8926.P6204". I tried updating to Windows 10 with modified DeviceTargetInfo, but I still get this error when I try to flash a CV rom.

I don't think I can edit the registry for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices", it showed something like "system.[]" for value. I think the only way is for someone to provide an international 640 platformid cab and use iutool.

It seems that this registry editor can read/write binary values. But I don't have W10M phone now to test it.

PS. I tested the ffu vhd on PC. The Plat partition is hidden, it is not work even if you write the information about assigning drive letter in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. The drive letter will not appear until the hidden attribute been clear. It is hard to edit partition attribute on a phone. Maybe the only way is getting a cab that updating the Platform ID.
14th November 2015, 09:10 PM |#6  

More
Thanks for testing and confirming the registry method doesn't work. Well there is nothing to do but wait for a .cab file.
14th November 2015, 11:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Don't **** with the PLAT partition unless you know what you are doing.

I know someone who applied an update to PLAT partition that wasn't for their device, and doing that hard bricked it.
15th November 2015, 09:59 PM |#8  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 3

More
One thing you could try is modifying the exact same registry keys for the RM-977 as mentioned in my thread here. Now the only reason the update will kick in is if the OS/firmware version is lower than what's on your device.
6th January 2016, 12:35 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hello! When using method # 2 I get the message:

[1] Started device **********************************
[1] Transferring files started
[1] Transferred file 1/4
[1] Transferred file 2/4
[1] Transferred file 3/4
[1] Transferred file 4/4
[1] Transferring files complete: 4 files
[1] Update started
[1] Installation failed (HRESULT = 0x801882c1)
[1] Failed (0x801882c1)
ERROR: 0x801882c1
Command failed. (HRESULT = 0x801882c1)

Using Windows 10 Pro. On Windows phone 8.1 update 1

Help in this issue please
9th January 2016, 09:29 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Please, explain me this method with one Nokia Lumia 1520 AT&T ?
Thank you.
14th January 2016, 12:04 AM |#11  
Flag Catanzaro - Calabrifornication
Thanks Meter: 47

More
someone can upload the PCONF file from a lumia 1520 NON at&T?
regards
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)