FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fingerprint reader working in US version (after flash)

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By drrobo, Member on 28th September 2016, 01:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I purchased (pre-ordered) the X compact from Amazon, and just wanted prospective buyers in the US to know that, after flashing the customized UK firmware from Xperifirm on the phone just now, the fingerprint scanner works perfectly , and is super fast compared to the Z5 compact. In fact, it's actually unlocked as the screen turns on - no delay. T-mobile LTE and everything else works fine. It took two minutes to do, and I can totally recommend it if you don't want to order the international version.

In other news, I LOVE this phone, particularly the screen - so bright and vivid, and looks beautiful with the loop design. The camera loads so much quicker than the Z5 compact too, and so far in usage all the other apps I have feels just as fast to load/use, if not faster.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to drrobo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drrobo Ad-Free

28th September 2016, 06:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Thanks. Could you please give info on how to do this exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29th September 2016, 12:11 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
I think the way to do it on other phones has been described before, so this is just going over old ground, but I always appreciate step by step instructions all in one place. However, being very noob at this, an obligatory disclaimer is if you try this I have no responsibility if you use this advice and it ruins your brand new phone. Use at your own risk. That said, since you're not unlocking bootloaders or rooting or anything like that, I think flashing sony stock firmware is relatively noob-proof (I'm a living example). I did it on my fresh-out-the-box X compact, so don't know if it will wipe your data - assume it will.

No doubt a professional will be able to cut out half my steps and correct this method, but that's appreciated

Edit: As corrected by someone who knows what they're doing (thanks and all credit to AndroPlus and IgorEisberg), you can just download Flashtool, click the Xperifirm button and download the firmware. This lets you skip steps 2-5 below: Flashtool will read the fwinfo.xml file and automatically create the FTF. Then head to step 6 below. Or follow all the steps I listed, which is the long way to do it, but also works

1. Download Xperifirm and flashtool:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/cros...oader-t2834142
http://www.flashtool.net/index.php

2. In Xperifirm find and download the UK customized version of the X compact firmware. This downloads a folder full of files that will need to be converted into a single .ftf file using flashtool in order to flash it to your phone, also with flashtool.

3. Delete the fwinfo.xml file from the folder before you convert into .ftf

4. Open flashtool, go to tools>create> select the folder you downloaded. Select the device (F5321), write in the branding (Customized UK) and version (number with periods). Select all the files on the left and click the arrow to move them to the right.

5. Click create to make the .ftf file in c:/users/YOURUSERNAME/.flashtool/firmwares (or something like that). If it asks you to use the default.fsc select no.

6. Open flashtool. With your phone turned off, hold down volume down and plug in your phone into the PC. Flashtool should say its detected in flashmode. Click the lightning bolt icon, select flashmode, and choose the .ftf file you just made. Hit flash, and again if it asks for default.fsc select no. It might take a while to prepare files for flashing, just leave it. After it starts flashing it will take less than 5 mins.

7. Unplug your new fingerprint enabled phone.

This was all amalgamated from other peoples guides and hard work. For reference and reading first:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/08/16...ashtool-guide/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-roms-t2240614
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to drrobo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drrobo Ad-Free
29th September 2016, 01:59 AM |#4  

More
Hey thanks for taking the time to write all of that. Honestly I don't know if I have the guts to try this. If you're a noob, I'm a new born. I was just about to pull the trigger but I'm really considering buying the UK version and be done with it. I don't care about warranty

29th September 2016, 03:04 AM |#5  
Flag Kyoto
Thanks Meter: 3,979

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrobo

I think the way to do it on other phones has been described before, so this is just going over old ground, but I always appreciate step by step instructions all in one place. However, being very noob at this, an obligatory disclaimer is if you try this I have no responsibility if you use this advice and it ruins your brand new phone. Use at your own risk. That said, since you're not unlocking bootloaders or rooting or anything like that, I think flashing sony stock firmware is relatively noob-proof (I'm a living example). I did it on my fresh-out-the-box X compact, so don't know if it will wipe your data - assume it will.

No doubt a professional will be able to cut out half my steps and correct this method, but that's appreciated

1. Download Xperifirm, Xperia Companion from Sony (maybe this isn't needed, but it's handy to have),

You only need Flashtool as it has built-in Xperifirm.
Press XF button (right of + button, left of PayPal donate button) and it will create FTF automatically.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndroPlus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroPlus Ad-Free
29th September 2016, 06:15 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroPlus

You only need Flashtool as it has built-in Xperifirm.
Press XF button (right of + button, left of PayPal donate button) and it will create FTF automatically.

See, I knew there was an easier way! Thank you for clarifying.
29th September 2016, 12:32 PM |#7  

More
Fingerprint reader working in US version (after flash)
Chinese to me. I'd probably kick my computer If I tried this. Lol

29th September 2016, 08:56 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So i did this flash and it worked perfectly, however i can only get 4g for mobile data, their is no option for LTE like i was getting with AT&T before. Any ideas on how to fix this?
30th September 2016, 01:46 AM |#9  
Flag Walsall
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave29

So i did this flash and it worked perfectly, however i can only get 4g for mobile data, their is no option for LTE like i was getting with AT&T before. Any ideas on how to fix this?

In the UK we refer to LTE as 4g.
1st October 2016, 08:34 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Does anyone know if we will automatically receive future software updates when we have done this? And does it disable and Bands for service?

EDIT: I flashed the Nordic Combined and it seems like everything is working. It did not reset my phone. Everything remains. If anyone knows answers to my questions i would still appreciate it.
3rd October 2016, 12:36 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by everdred

Does anyone know if we will automatically receive future software updates when we have done this? And does it disable and Bands for service?

You'll still receive updates (I did the same US to UK conversion for my Z5 compact to enable fingerprint reader and still received all the updates right on time), and it doesn't change the bands available.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)