Best Rom and Bios for X98 Air III 32GB M5C5 FEB 2016

239 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By mrchrister, Senior Member on 7th February 2016, 09:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th February 2016, 02:22 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Right, there is no gravitybox in stock ROM.

The battery status is fine for me, the only thing which is not 100% OK for me (beside this flickering) is the touch screen sensitivity.
Some times a have to touch twice for reaction - is this normal for this screen?

9th February 2016, 03:49 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
battery is reporting the correct values and i don't seem to have the flickering problem. i'm very happy with my Air III now, it's a big improvement in UI responsiveness to the original one. i didn't notice any problems with sensitivity...
9th February 2016, 10:11 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchrister

Hey guys,

I just installed the following bios and rom to my Air III M5C5. I switched back from Windows because Windows was somehow buggy and didn't have much to offer for tablets:
I followed Kuba's advice about best rom and bios for M5C5:

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/b...c5/#post-25075

I can confirm my X98 works better than ever! Both cameras are working and the device feels snappier than the original Teclast Android rom that came with my device. The rom is the official Teclast X98 Air III rom for recently shipped devices. Thanks to guvno for making this available to everybody! I first thought I will install the debloated Google Now rom for the air iii but since this is based on the original Teclast rom that I used to run, it wouldn't have been an improvement in terms of speed.

Here's how I installed Android:
- I installed the drivers IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.10.0.exe and IntelDnXUSBDriverSetup.exe in Win7 from "X98+Air+III(M5C5)+-+guvno"
- I put my device in DNX mode (holding down vol up, vol down and power when tablet is switched off)
- Used the batch file "flash_rom.bat" from "X98+Air+III(M5C5)+-+guvno" which then installed a freshly rooted rom of android.

Then I downloaded X98_Air_2_android_5.0_mirek190_v7.0-ultra-light, replaced /data/BIOS/2-05.bin with the one from the above mentioned link (https://mega.nz/#!dYxVTQrL!J9h-bk-hW...8TF6XXr-JwpgdU). Then I launched FLASH_tool_Teclast_x98_air_devices-v3.0, hit 4, then hit 2 and select 2.05. It updated the M5C5 to the most recent BIOS. You can tell because the tablet doesnt start up displaying chinese letters anymore but instead showing the latin letters TECLAST

If you want to keep your Windows installation I believe you have to change partition.tbl but not sure how this would work. I'm Android only now.

Glad this ROM was usefull to more than just myself. Thanks to ionioni and hordarian for the adb commands on dumping and packaging the dump files to a flash package.
I myself was using custom ROMs until one of my units came with a clean AOSP ROM which this is. Finally Teclast has started to supply their customers with this instead of their bloated versions. All manufacturers should do this IMO. Release their own customized version to the general public but give the tekkies a clean AOSP version to play with ☺
9th February 2016, 11:15 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
For me the best rom is android 4.4 mirek version or other.
With android 5.0 battery drain so fast, just try android 4.4
My bios is dualboot V1.00. (m5c5)
10th February 2016, 06:19 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
i noticed the flickering notification bar today in google photos and tapatalk when scrolling. clearing notifications seemed to get rid of the problem. considering all the problems i had with tablet in the past ( battery drainage, random freezes, screen unresponsive, slow scrolling, lagging, constant driver installations and updates in win10) this wont bug me much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10th February 2016, 01:20 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkubiDoo

Android 5.0, build number is V1.00_20151204, kernel version 3.10.2 (December 7th 2015 10:50:43 CST).

This version is already with root

Just to complete the picture:
The BIOS Version is:
Project Verion: tPAD 2.05
Core Version: 5.008
Build Date: 09/18/2015

Right?
11th February 2016, 05:22 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
You can fix the flicker by checking "disable hw overlays" in developer options. It doest seem to have major disadvantages turning this on from what I gathered...you basically force the use of the GPU for screen compositing which might free up the CPU but might have some unwanted side effects like obstructed image rendering. I think you have to turn it back on after restart or use a script like this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...t2227089/page2

Sent from my X98 Air III(M5C5) using Tapatalk
11th February 2016, 01:16 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Can I flash this rom over sikke1's debloated rom without any issue? Because sikke1 rom has 100MB cache partition and 1GB data size. Does this matter?
11th February 2016, 05:00 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0czko

Can I flash this rom over sikke1's debloated rom without any issue? Because sikke1 rom has 100MB cache partition and 1GB data size. Does this matter?

If you use the flash ROM batch file with the standard partition table it will completely reset your tablet. So no, it shouldn't matter. I had windows installed and it just repartitioned the tablet.

Sent from my X98 Air III(M5C5) using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mrchrister For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrchrister Ad-Free
12th February 2016, 03:15 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Someone I can tell you if the TECLAST does OTA updates, or where you can see the latest versions of TECLAST ?

Thank you
12th February 2016, 07:27 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
For what it's worth, I tried a dirty flash of this ROM over sikke1's debloated ROM. The system booted etc, but reported some UID-mismatches. Without any deep analysis, it seems to me that you should better create backups, instead of hoping that you can flash this ROM while keeping the data. (but maybe, I just did something wrong, it was just a quick and dirty test)

Regarding the partition question by @0czko You can modify the flash.xml to skip partitioning if you use MFT to flash, and leave the partitions at your desired sizes.

Many thanks to the creators of this ROM, for some reason, it runs a bit better than the one by sikke1 (which was excellent work as well).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)