Best Rom and Bios for X98 Air III 32GB M5C5 FEB 2016

Search This thread

wallabyman

Dec 5, 2008
For what it's worth, I tried a dirty flash of this ROM over sikke1's debloated ROM. The system booted etc, but reported some UID-mismatches. Without any deep analysis, it seems to me that you should better create backups, instead of hoping that you can flash this ROM while keeping the data. (but maybe, I just did something wrong, it was just a quick and dirty test)

Regarding the partition question by @0czko You can modify the flash.xml to skip partitioning if you use MFT to flash, and leave the partitions at your desired sizes.

Many thanks to the creators of this ROM, for some reason, it runs a bit better than the one by sikke1 (which was excellent work as well).

Last edited:

Stony2

Jan 9, 2016

starush

Dec 16, 2010
I am installed and tested this rom today. Unfortunately, the main problem is not disappeared: my Skype video is freezing after few seconds of using, as it does in mirek190 rom too. Any solutions?

cubal1br3

Jan 22, 2016
I flashed the rom and the 2.05 bios. After that I flashed Mirek190 v7 light rom for Air II and I'm still not happy with battery life. I get between 3 and a half and 4 hours of youtube video streaming @ 30% brightness. Is that normal or is there an issue with my unit?

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
4 hours of youtube sounds reasonable to me. i don't think i get much more out of my tablet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cubal1br3

hyegeek

Jul 27, 2010
I installed this rom via Linux by issuing the commands listed in the bat file. It is running well and everything seems to work (including root). Thanks for pointing it out.

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
thanks for your feedback hyegeek. good to know you can make it work on linux!

pantmunu

Jun 8, 2011
new york
so, my x98 iii 32 gb version just got shipped out today. was wondering and trying to figure out the gpu being capped . does that still persist or has it been resolved yet ? any help would be greatly appreciated. also, im solely planning to run android on it. i have surface pro 4 so wont be needing any windows, and i wanna know ur opinions on the roms that would best suit for light gaming and heavy media consumption. thank u again.

spirou38

Jan 24, 2016
Hey guys,

Then I downloaded X98_Air_2_android_5.0_mirek190_v7.0-ultra-light, replaced /data/BIOS/2-05.bin with the one from the above mentioned link ... Then I launched FLASH_tool_Teclast_x98_air_devices-v3.0, hit 4, then hit 2 and select 2.05. It updated the M5C5 to the most recent BIOS. You can tell because the tablet doesnt start up displaying chinese letters anymore but instead showing the latin letters TECLAST

Hello mrchrister,

Thanks for that very good rom, it works nice :good: .

But after installing that good rom I wanted to update my X98 Air 3 bios as you recommend but I have a problem : adb never recognize my tablet.
Of course, drivers are installed ( I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Intel drivers ), the tablet has "debug mode" on and is in DnX mode ( and always stay in "waiting fastboot command" ).
I inserted several commands to be sure.
The added command "fastboot devices" recognizes a "BaytrailDF347559".
But adb loops in "adb wait-for-device".

Do you have an idea :confused: .

Thanks for your help.

Pascal

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
hey spirou. these kind of problems could be related to the version of windows you are using. i installed the bios under windows 7 and it worked fine. i recommend you go over to mirek's thread to get feedback on driver issues since i don't really know much about this!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE MARCH 2018:

I finally converted my Air III tablet from an Android only into a dual boot Win 10 and Android system. I'm using my laptop a lot in the office these days and didn't feel like schlepping it home every day. My Air III is now my home computer.
    I'm surprised that it can run one of my favorite games that just came out: "Into the Breach" with no problem. I connected a Apple BT mouse and it's a cool little portable system for Indie games. Other ones I tested that run well are Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Celeste and FTL. As a gamepad I use an Amazon FireTV controller that I link up through BT.

For those of you who still tinker with this tablet, here are some instructions to get dual boot working:

1. Install Mirek190's v7 rom for Air 3g. Copy the 6GB partition table and also the "boot-air3-m5c5-moded - boot.img" (extra download from mirek) to the ROM folder. For your convenience, here is a ready to flash version for the Air III, already modified with the right boot.img and 6GB partition table: https://mega.nz/#!5xMVgRyC!gHfvg3L3kXzL-NOFfTHvk4_nalKRM-io8DtnGhRCUXU

2. DOWNGRADE YOUR BIOS! - This took me a while to figure out. 2.05 is still the best bios to use for Android only but if you want Win10, downgrade to 1.00. 2.05 Bios does not work for dual booting on Air III.
    This is not without risk, but I confirm that the following link to the 1.00 bios worked for me: https://mega.nz/#!VgMWVZjZ!SgSzryJkn89RWMidg_Um8Ab1wgDnZ8JWGwgK-yR2dj8
    Unzip the contents of the folder to c:\update_android - If you have Mirek190 v7 installed it will have Supersu and USB debugging already enabled for you. Execute c:\update_android\android\Update_Android.bat with the tablet booted to Android. Note that there is two Update_Android.bat files. Makes sure to use the one in c:\update_android\android\

3. After the successful flash, connect a powered usb hub to the tablet via OTG cable. Connect a keyboard and USB stick to the hub. Follow instructions from Techtablets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjayeQJg4Q
    In order for a successful Windows 10 install you need Rufus and a 32bit copy of Windows 10. I used en_windows_10_enterprise_x86_dvd_6851156.iso. Create the USB key with Rufus and make sure to choose GPT partitioning.

4. After everything is set up, install drivers for Win10 Air 3G from Techtablets

5. Android should have around 5GB of space and Windows will end up with 15GB of free space. It's good practice to install software to an external SD. Especially WIn10 can run out of space quickly with all the updates it loves doing.

Hope this helps someone :)

-------

ORIGINAL POST FEB 2016

Hey guys,

I just installed the following bios and rom to my Air III M5C5. I switched back from Windows because Windows was somehow buggy and didn't have much to offer for tablets:
    I followed Kuba's advice ( http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/best-rom-for-x98-iii-m5c5/#post-25075 ) about best rom and bios for M5C5:

DOWNLOAD ROM https://mega.nz/#!8s92TbCR!w-vVyqbnqVf3p3YJP_obj2xRm_7f7sx9YMqVhLm4hXA
    DOWNLOAD BIOS http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65166671&postcount=87 (thanks to skubidoo)
    You will also need Mirek's ROM: http://techtablets.com/wpfb-file/x98_air_2_android_5-0_mirek190_v5-0-ultra-light-7z/

I can confirm my X98 works better than ever! Both cameras are working and the device feels snappier than the original Teclast Android rom that came with my device. The rom is the official Teclast X98 Air III rom for recently shipped devices. Thanks to guvno for making this available to everybody! I first thought I will install the debloated Google Now rom for the air iii but since this is based on the original Teclast rom that I used to run, it wouldn't have been an improvement in terms of speed.

Here's how to install the ROM

PREFERRED METHOD TO GET THE RIGHT BATTERY DISPLAY:
    - Prepare guznos rom for MFT:
    Go to folder "X98_Air_2_android_5.0_mirek190_v7.0-ultra-light" - "ROM-backup"
    Copy and replace droidboot.img, efilinux-userdebug.efi, flash-full_with_REPARTITION.xml and installer.cmd to the guzno folder.
    - Install MFT software following tecknight's tutorial (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62823546&postcount=6)
    - Now start MFT and select "flash-full_with_REPARTITION.xml" from the guzno folder.

ALTERNATIVE METHOD:
    - Install the drivers IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.10.0.exe and IntelDnXUSBDriverSetup.exe in Win7 from "X98+Air+III(M5C5)+-+guvno"
    - I put my device in DNX mode (holding down vol up, vol down and power when tablet is switched off)
    - Used the batch file "flash_rom.bat" from "X98+Air+III(M5C5)+-+guvno" which then installed a freshly rooted rom of android.

Here's how to install the BIOS

I downloaded X98_Air_2_android_5.0_mirek190_v7.0-ultra-light, replaced /data/BIOS/2-05.bin with the one from the above mentioned link (https://mega.nz/#!dYxVTQrL!J9h-bk-hWzE80UK2MSzRd2CBiAoYY8TF6XXr-JwpgdU). Then I launched FLASH_tool_Teclast_x98_air_devices-v3.0, hit 4, then hit 2 and select 2.05. IMPORTANT Make sure you select only this version and make sure you replaced the right file. Be very careful with this step because if you accidentally flash the bios from the Air II to your Air III, it can brick your device!
    For me, it worked correctly and updated my M5C5 to the most recent BIOS. You can tell because the tablet doesnt start up displaying chinese letters anymore but instead showing the latin letters TECLAST

If you want to keep your Windows installation I believe you have to change partition.tbl but not sure how this would work. I'm Android only now.
    Can I flash this rom over sikke1's debloated rom without any issue? Because sikke1 rom has 100MB cache partition and 1GB data size. Does this matter?
    If you use the flash ROM batch file with the standard partition table it will completely reset your tablet. So no, it shouldn't matter. I had windows installed and it just repartitioned the tablet.

Sent from my X98 Air III(M5C5) using Tapatalk
    4 hours of youtube sounds reasonable to me. i don't think i get much more out of my tablet

hereare the instructions for removing the gpu cap : http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/x98-air-iii-264g-dual-boot-just-in-today/page/2/#post-15895 not sure if it still persists but i'd assume so since this thread is about the newest rom from teclast. i think they capped it to get more battery runtime