Teclast X98 Air II opinions

Search This thread

Gazeebo

Dec 8, 2013
Bayamon
Hello everyone, I am very interested in buying this tablet because of the win 8.1+Android boot BUT I have read mixed reviews that some come ok while others come with problems. I personally don't want to deal with broken youtube, play store and etc.

Is there like a stock android ROM for this? Will flashing a new ROM damage the windows in the Tablet? Is it fairly straightfoward like a normal android tablet? Any tips, opinions, reviews and etc. Are greatly appreciated.

poodoogames

Feb 16, 2015
I have purchased this tablet and using it for a few weeks now. Dual boot Air II (not the 3G as I've seen videos on youtube showing that they are slower than the Air II). When I first got it, the play store wasn't working, however, when I updated the software through Teclast's update app (all in chinese) it work.

I haven't had any problems with it so far, everything is working fine. I've tried some very heavy games without any lag. It just lowers the brightness if it gets to hot. Also another note, I hated their UI, I think they tried to copy iOS. So I just downloaded a custom launcher and fixed the problem.

Based from my own experience I would recommend this tablet. I also bought it for the dual boot capabilities. (came pre-installed with dual boot windows 8.1 + android 4.4.4)

deepmenace

Mar 3, 2009
im quite frustrated with mine...here are the reasons.

windows runs very well. would be great apart from the fact that the battery wont get me through a whole day of fair use. also, wifi seems to drop sometimes.

android runs SLOW. launcher stuff is a bit laggy. it has to pause to think quite often. and wifi, again seems very spotty - stops working for 30 seconds randomly - frustrating.

also....with regards putting different roms on, etc - there is less knowledge out there about the Air ii - most of the posts are relevant to the 3g model so finding solid information about the Air ii is difficult. I cant recommend at this stage...

bnsuki

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto
in regards to the wifi, try turning off wifi optimization in the settings
it seemed to work better on mine after I turned it off.

arcanadei

Jun 16, 2015
Got the Teclast X98 Air 2 HG8N a few days ago from TinyDeal. Arrived with dual boot 4.4/8.1, both in Chinese. Had to change to English, get online and ran OTA/Windows updates. No issues with camera orientation or Google Play. So far, very nice tablet. The Windows experience is odd. I want to swipe a lot for navigation since I've owned a few iOS/Android tablets before. Taking some getting used to actually using scrollbars again. Also found out that some sites and programs really are not designed for such a relatively small screen. Options are very small and hard to hit correctly with a finger. Stylus helps, but still tricky occasionally. I would recommend it with the caveats that it will not be in English, Android has a lot of crapware, and Windows can be tricky. I would like to install W10 and custom ROM but still trying to get a handle on the process for this model. Similar model threads are hundreds of pages, and may not be entirely compatible with this one.

Editing my post after getting a few more days hands on with this one. Initially there was a lot of focus on setup, config, tweaking, it was my new toy. Got it to a comfortable, useable state and now down to actual usage. The screen is gorgeous, that part still holds very true. The battery life is terrible. Android seems better than Windows, but I haven't done any benchmarking or close examination. It looks like for Android at least, the OS itself is consuming the most battery. I haven't gotten a single day of usage without stopping to charge at least once. I pretty much just keep it plugged up unless I walk outside with it for a bit. Right now focusing on how I can replace the pre-installed OS's and see if that will be any better. I have years of experience in IT, but not in an area like this so it is slow going for the moment. I'd recommend this still, but be prepared to tinker a long time. If you want an out of the box experience ready to go then this is not a good choice at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sahor

RyanDre

May 15, 2015
I have had my airII 3g since about february 2015. I still like it. screen is great - usually have the brightness turned right down to low as I use it indoors. have used both windows and android and it works well. I prefer to use android, windows buttons can be small to try and touch. Main use for mine is just facebook and internet browsing, and reading books, I did take it on a couple 8 hour flights and watched downloaded videos in windows and it was awesome. Speakers could be a bit louder. Once I rooted it and removed chinese android seems to run way better, battery life is good in my opinion but I guess im not a heavy user. I do have wifi drops in android although I recently downloaded wififix from playstore and it seems to be a lot better. Also after rooting i have found I rarely get the thermal brightness throttling message - cant remember last time I saw it. Tablet seems well made and has a bit of weight to it, I have mine in a Ipad air case which is good, its just the camera holes dont match. The 2.5amp charger that comes with it would be the minimum I would want to charge it with, my kids have teclast x80h with 2amp charger and its too small. I think there is also an issue when having bluetooth on for my headphone and using the wifi at same time can cause wifi to be slow. either way I am happy with purchase, knowing that at the end of the day it is a chinese tablet and would require tinkering with and maybe some issues, but its great specs for the money. I dont use 3g on it, i mainly only bought it as it was 64gig model.

Reactions: sahor

siezed

Jun 19, 2015
i have the air ii hg9m and i would only recommend this to someone who is comfortable troubleshooting and fixing small issues as these chinese tablets are plagued with them, fortunately theres tons of support from this site with lots of cool people fixing any issue that might arise, as for mine (the newest air ii at the time of this hg9m) ive only had minor issues, like choppy 3d games in android, standby battery drain in windows, some overheating, slow charging and battery calibration issues, and no ota updates in android. but the basic functionality of the device has remained in tact. Thats also a huge advantage of dual os, if im having an issue with one os i can try the other to do what i want. If youre truly looking for a trouble free experience then apple is the way to go, imo they are your best bet at a good 100% trouble free experience, but you pay a lot for those odds.

Last edited:
Reactions: sahor and Protein-

gatorgal88

Dec 16, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Stylus?

Taking some getting used to actually using scrollbars again. Also found out that some sites and programs really are not designed for such a relatively small screen. Options are very small and hard to hit correctly with a finger. Stylus helps, but still tricky occasionally. I would recommend it with the caveats that it will not be in English, Android has a lot of crapware, and Windows can be tricky. I would like to install W10 and custom ROM but still trying to get a handle on the process for this model. Similar model threads are hundreds of pages, and may not be entirely compatible with this one.

Would you mind sharing what stylus are you using that works with this tablet? I have not found one that works.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have the air ii hg9m and i would only recommend this to someone who is comfortable troubleshooting and fixing small issues as these chinese tablets are plagued with them, fortunately theres tons of support from this site with lots of cool people fixing any issue that might arise, as for mine (the newest air ii at the time of this hg9m) ive only had minor issues, like choppy 3d games in android, standby battery drain in windows, some overheating, slow charging and battery calibration issues, and no ota updates in android. but the basic functionality of the device has remained in tact. Thats also a huge advantage of dual os, if im having an issue with one os i can try the other to do what i want. If youre truly looking for a trouble free experience then apple is the way to go, imo they are your best bet at a good 100% trouble free experience, but you pay a lot for those odds.
    buddy,
    how's the battery life?

any cons now???
    Got the Teclast X98 Air 2 HG8N a few days ago from TinyDeal. Arrived with dual boot 4.4/8.1, both in Chinese. Had to change to English, get online and ran OTA/Windows updates. No issues with camera orientation or Google Play. So far, very nice tablet. The Windows experience is odd. I want to swipe a lot for navigation since I've owned a few iOS/Android tablets before. Taking some getting used to actually using scrollbars again. Also found out that some sites and programs really are not designed for such a relatively small screen. Options are very small and hard to hit correctly with a finger. Stylus helps, but still tricky occasionally. I would recommend it with the caveats that it will not be in English, Android has a lot of crapware, and Windows can be tricky. I would like to install W10 and custom ROM but still trying to get a handle on the process for this model. Similar model threads are hundreds of pages, and may not be entirely compatible with this one.

Editing my post after getting a few more days hands on with this one. Initially there was a lot of focus on setup, config, tweaking, it was my new toy. Got it to a comfortable, useable state and now down to actual usage. The screen is gorgeous, that part still holds very true. The battery life is terrible. Android seems better than Windows, but I haven't done any benchmarking or close examination. It looks like for Android at least, the OS itself is consuming the most battery. I haven't gotten a single day of usage without stopping to charge at least once. I pretty much just keep it plugged up unless I walk outside with it for a bit. Right now focusing on how I can replace the pre-installed OS's and see if that will be any better. I have years of experience in IT, but not in an area like this so it is slow going for the moment. I'd recommend this still, but be prepared to tinker a long time. If you want an out of the box experience ready to go then this is not a good choice at all.
    I have had my airII 3g since about february 2015. I still like it. screen is great - usually have the brightness turned right down to low as I use it indoors. have used both windows and android and it works well. I prefer to use android, windows buttons can be small to try and touch. Main use for mine is just facebook and internet browsing, and reading books, I did take it on a couple 8 hour flights and watched downloaded videos in windows and it was awesome. Speakers could be a bit louder. Once I rooted it and removed chinese android seems to run way better, battery life is good in my opinion but I guess im not a heavy user. I do have wifi drops in android although I recently downloaded wififix from playstore and it seems to be a lot better. Also after rooting i have found I rarely get the thermal brightness throttling message - cant remember last time I saw it. Tablet seems well made and has a bit of weight to it, I have mine in a Ipad air case which is good, its just the camera holes dont match. The 2.5amp charger that comes with it would be the minimum I would want to charge it with, my kids have teclast x80h with 2amp charger and its too small. I think there is also an issue when having bluetooth on for my headphone and using the wifi at same time can cause wifi to be slow. either way I am happy with purchase, knowing that at the end of the day it is a chinese tablet and would require tinkering with and maybe some issues, but its great specs for the money. I dont use 3g on it, i mainly only bought it as it was 64gig model.
    It is a great device