I had created this thread as i had just ordered the Teclast X98 Air on 14 August 2014 from Aliexpress.
It will arrive next week and i guess some of the user here will be excited to know what Telcast has bring this time.
I know there was a thread for Teclast X98 3G but long run having dedicate post will be much more accurate.
Hope those you had ordered X98 Air just like me and those who are planning to buy X98 Air can contribute to this thread.
Video Link : http://youtu.be/53DAW2U6pX8
Update ( 22 August )
Ok! update. Upload to Mega done.
Part 1: https://mega.co.nz/#!foNyRRxQ!l5gAWm...c3GYZY15lQafFo
Part 2: https://mega.co.nz/#!T0l0EIba!vwedHk...MWFoKDnCxJuWgE
Part 3: https://mega.co.nz/#!ahMikTwS!UzTS9s...H_bbVqRkL-d8C4
Part 4: https://mega.co.nz/#!vlEFFR7Q!tSsyo-...DUsjeoS5XCSpvU
Part 5: https://mega.co.nz/#!v510FAbC!KTzNrE...59ViPPxvXZrU7k
Root File: https://mega.co.nz/#!flskXa7Z!Y3vWDb...z_XERA19wsGWpk
Android to Window Bios: https://mega.co.nz/#!j4113IBY!akjyas...ht8RVlCxKP6Eyo
Window to Android Bios: https://mega.co.nz/#!291jBQ4B!_ujAk-...8qVH3DAmQUf7ZE
Andriod 4.2.2 : http://dl.vmall.com/c0po6r29bg
Android on Intel Platform : https://01.org/android-ia/downloads
(I am keeping a close look on this if i manage to flash custom recovery, i will try this)
Update (27 August )
Successfully rooted using the above link. *try to rename the folder name chinese charater as in my computer it appear as boxes and Intel driver installer will error & the .bat file will not work.
Thanks to our friend from this forum, the important thing is USB 2.0.
You must be on USB 2.0 to root Teclast X98 Air.
Update ( 28 August )
Successfully installed window 8.1 using the above link.
Smooth and easy. *need to change my card reader with OTG as i was using MicroSD card at the first time.
Display Language is in Chinese. *need to add new keyboard then download English Language then change the language, this is the hardest part in the whole process.
Performance is seem to be better than android.
Update ( 3 Sept )
I used Window for almost 1 week and after watching anime series (not live streaming) for 7 hours it freeze up. I used default window video player. Simple force reboot fix the problem. I tried it for about another 5 hours again with media player classic and it freeze again. So just take note on that. I don't think it is the heat issue as i can feel it isn't that hot.
I tried to boot into the Bios as i wanted to try Dual boot. I turn off the UEFI secure boot. Creat bootable USB stick with Android-4.4.2_r1-ia2 but it didn't detect my bootable USB stick. I also disable the fast boot and i can see that if you have keyboard you can call up Bios with F1 and Del. i can't find allow boot from usb stick in the bios. I guess i am missing something here. Pity is that i do not have usb hub so i can't put my usb stick and keyboard together and try to boot like normal PC. But i will try again once i buy the USB hub.
So if anyone tried as far as i did or may be even more please let me know. We can try different method.
Meanwhile i will flash back to Android as some are posting here that they have problem or soft brick.
A few things i will try this weekend.
1. Window to Android flash
2. Root again
3. Try custom recovery (need time on this)
Hope everything will be fine.
Update ( 7 Sept)
So as i mention above i had done the following
If you like PDF guide it is in the attachment.
1. Window to Android flash
- Well. i follow the chinese instruction but i will make it easier here
- 1. Charge your tPad to 100% ( you don't want to run into trouble with low batt )
- 2. Run the X98 Air Win 8 to android bios on your tPad desktop as Administrator, it will run series of command and prompt "FTP Operation Passed".
- 3. Unzip the X98 Air (C5KN) Android 4.2.2 v1.04. inside include 2 folders, 1 pdf and 1 txt files.
- 4. i rename the 2 folder to ROM and setup file as i couldn't run them with chinese name.
- 5. In the setup files folder, 4 files inside. .ini, intelAndroid driver.exe, iSOC driver.exe and Flashtool.exe
- 6. Start from intel android.exe follow by iSOC driver.exe (here it will ask you to plug out and plug in, DO IT!) Very important! follow the installation prompt diligently.
- 7. Install the Flash Tool then copy CUSTOM_CONFIG.INI to C:\Program Files\Intel\Manufacturing Flash Tool. For my case Window 8 so it is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Manufacturing Flash Tool. (Again MUST COPY this INI file if not you will be stuck at 5%, It happened to me and you don't want it)
- 8. On your desktop you will see flashtool.exe, run it. then go to "Setting- Change the SOC VID to 8087, SOC VID to 0A65, Android devices VID to 8087, PID to 09EF" then apply
- 9. Then unzip X98 Air (C5KN) and inside this folder "flash.xml".
- 10. In the flash tool, "File" - "Open" then point to the above "flash.xml".
- 11. Below Status messages will state ready to flash. Power on you tab, i found that there is no use for vol + or vol -. Just power on will be fine. Then plug into the computer. It will start automatically.
2. I root it again. very easily.
More coming up!