Bricked After Attempting to Install Windows 10 64 bit

Search This thread

Lord_Santa

Jan 8, 2012
Cape Town
As the title says.

Attempted to boot from a USB stick with a 64 bit version of Windows 10 on my Air III 32gig. Blue screen came up saying there was a problem and Windows needed to restart.
After that, it shutdown and now it won't turn on.

I had tried the 32 bit before and it refused to boot from the USB.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I use the wrong OS version? Any fixes?

juanr2

Sep 21, 2017
As the title says.

Attempted to boot from a USB stick with a 64 bit version of Windows 10 on my Air III 32gig. Blue screen came up saying there was a problem and Windows needed to restart.
After that, it shutdown and now it won't turn on.

I had tried the 32 bit before and it refused to boot from the USB.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I use the wrong OS version? Any fixes?

Hi, did you solve it?
It happened to me exactly the same.
Greetings.

Cruz77321

May 20, 2009
Unbrick bios after Windows 10 64 bit (Solved)

Same thing happened to me. I was in a rush and flashed the wrong Windows version. The previous post with a link to instructions isn't helpful, but for future reference and anyone else that encounters this problem the hardware/software fix is not too difficult.
To fix a hard bricked device (doesn't power up at all) you need to do the follow:
Buy a CH341A USB 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS Programmer.
Buy a 1.8v flash SPI adapter.
Buy a flash chip socket adapter.
Download the CH341A BIOS programmer software. Use the latest version. Version 1.29 was the only version that worked for me.
Download the BIOS file for your device. I used a dual boot version 2.02 without any problems.

Disclaimer. I take me responsibility if you brick you device even more bricker by improperly flashing your device.
You can obtain the flash hardware from either AliExpress or Ebay and it should be less than $10 including s&h.
The chip adapter is mostly for convenience unless your into removing the BIOS chip from the motherboard and into soldering.

The process:
Assemble your flasher. Follow the diagrams on the flash components. My flash chip W25Q64FW is a 25 Series EEPROM, so I aligned the parts according to the diagrams on the flasher. All the parts are plug and play, and assemble by number, so no soldering is necessary.

Remove the back cover from your Teclast device. It's just plastic clips no components are attached to the cover.
All the YouTube videos recommend to disconnect your battery, so it's probably best to disconnect it. I found it's easiest to cut the positive wire at the soldering point, and just re-solder after flashing is complete.

DON'T attempt to flash or read your BIOS without using the 1.8v regulator. You will fry your BIOS chip, brick your device even more and will need a new BIOS chip to fix your device if that's possible.

Insert your flasher into your Windows computer. Install the flashing program drivers. Run the flashing program.
Attach the flash clip to your BIOS chip. The red lead wire on the clip should attach to the dot indentation on your chip. The indentation should have a painted dot, but just in case the they are not in the same place use the indentation and not the painted dot.

Use the flash program to erase, verify it's blank, program, and verify the program was successful.
Disconnect the clip from the BIOS chip. Temporarily attach the battery lead wire to verify the device is working. If all works solder the battery wire, attach the back cover, and your done.

There are YouTube videos explaining the entire process if you need additional help. The entire process should take less than 15 minutes.
Hope this is helpful to someone in the future. Enjoy.

Reactions: kellson

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
i used these just last week to get out of a Win10-x64 flash brick :
CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM 24C02 24C08 24C16 Flash BIOS USB Programmer UK STOCK
SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip For EEPROM in-circuit programming cable + 2 adapters - UK

no regulator needed, i did desolder BAT+, used flashing program v 1.18.
There's 2 tricky bits...the back cover comes off way more difficult than I had expected... Without a plastic spudger or a guitar plectrum it would be near inpossible. Even with the proper tools, a couple of the plastic tabs snapped off. The tablet still closed fine though.
Another tricky thing is getting the flash clip / test clip seated properly onto the BIOS chip. Clip it on, and push detect button in the flash program. If it returns $FF under the button, reseat the clip onto bios chip, press detect again...repeat untill there is no more $FF under the button. Only then proceed with the flashing.

Good luck, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: kellson

kellson

Apr 27, 2009
There's 2 tricky bits...the back cover comes off way more difficult than I had expected... Without a plastic spudger or a guitar plectrum it would be near inpossible. Even with the proper tools, a couple of the plastic tabs snapped off. The tablet still closed fine though.
Another tricky thing is getting the flash clip / test clip seated properly onto the BIOS chip. Clip it on, and push detect button in the flash program. If it returns $FF under the button, reseat the clip onto bios chip, press detect again...repeat untill there is no more $FF under the button. Only then proceed with the flashing.

Thanks for the info, I did use same hardward and revived with X98 Air 3G from failed update to 2.05.
Initially I ordered the 1.8v Adapter as well, but for some reason the seller didn't send it. Then I just TRIED without it, and WORKS.
I know it's dangerous to overvoltage, but since it's bricked and another new W25Q64FW is just about $5, if anything...;)
My X98 Air 3G is happy with v2.05 + Win10 x86 1909 now :D

Last edited:

Wallace4793

Mar 10, 2014
Hi,

Is it possible to use the test clip to avoid the desoldering/soldering with this method... I also tried to install a 64bit version on windows. Ive seen tutorials on youtube where someone uses this clip to make contact with chip and programmer.. so no need to remove the chip. Also how does the 1.8v regulator fit to the CH341? I cant see any tutorials on this part.

John

PS Sorry for bringing an old thread to life...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unbrick bios after Windows 10 64 bit (Solved)

Same thing happened to me. I was in a rush and flashed the wrong Windows version. The previous post with a link to instructions isn't helpful, but for future reference and anyone else that encounters this problem the hardware/software fix is not too difficult.
    To fix a hard bricked device (doesn't power up at all) you need to do the follow:
    Buy a CH341A USB 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS Programmer.
    Buy a 1.8v flash SPI adapter.
    Buy a flash chip socket adapter.
    Download the CH341A BIOS programmer software. Use the latest version. Version 1.29 was the only version that worked for me.
    Download the BIOS file for your device. I used a dual boot version 2.02 without any problems.

Disclaimer. I take me responsibility if you brick you device even more bricker by improperly flashing your device.
    You can obtain the flash hardware from either AliExpress or Ebay and it should be less than $10 including s&h.
    The chip adapter is mostly for convenience unless your into removing the BIOS chip from the motherboard and into soldering.

The process:
    Assemble your flasher. Follow the diagrams on the flash components. My flash chip W25Q64FW is a 25 Series EEPROM, so I aligned the parts according to the diagrams on the flasher. All the parts are plug and play, and assemble by number, so no soldering is necessary.

Remove the back cover from your Teclast device. It's just plastic clips no components are attached to the cover.
    All the YouTube videos recommend to disconnect your battery, so it's probably best to disconnect it. I found it's easiest to cut the positive wire at the soldering point, and just re-solder after flashing is complete.

DON'T attempt to flash or read your BIOS without using the 1.8v regulator. You will fry your BIOS chip, brick your device even more and will need a new BIOS chip to fix your device if that's possible.

Insert your flasher into your Windows computer. Install the flashing program drivers. Run the flashing program.
    Attach the flash clip to your BIOS chip. The red lead wire on the clip should attach to the dot indentation on your chip. The indentation should have a painted dot, but just in case the they are not in the same place use the indentation and not the painted dot.

Use the flash program to erase, verify it's blank, program, and verify the program was successful.
    Disconnect the clip from the BIOS chip. Temporarily attach the battery lead wire to verify the device is working. If all works solder the battery wire, attach the back cover, and your done.

There are YouTube videos explaining the entire process if you need additional help. The entire process should take less than 15 minutes.
    Hope this is helpful to someone in the future. Enjoy.
    i used these just last week to get out of a Win10-x64 flash brick :
    CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM 24C02 24C08 24C16 Flash BIOS USB Programmer UK STOCK
    SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip For EEPROM in-circuit programming cable + 2 adapters - UK