FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

X98 Air III M5C5 with clean stock ROM?

88 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By hordarian, Member on 27th January 2016, 11:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm confused. I bought an M5C5 from Gearbest EU warehouse, which arrived today and it's sitting charging quite happily.

I was expecting to have to flash a custom ROM or manually debloat the thing. However out of the box it has a completely blank AOSP type build on it, just with the Google Play Store added.

Android 5.0, build number is V1.00_20151204, kernel version 3.10.2 (December 7th 2015 10:50:43 CST).

I see a couple of other reports of this around other forums. Does anyone know what's going on? More to the point, before I decide whether to flash a custom or not - is there any way of safely dumping this for others more knowledgeable than me to play about with?

28th January 2016, 09:41 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
I foolishly flashed a custom over the top of this. Other than being rooted, there's no benefit - in fact the stock is better and faster than the customs I've tried (pure Android launcher, no fluff with "reboot to Windows" or phone junk compiled in).

If you have this build, stick with it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hordarian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hordarian Ad-Free
28th January 2016, 09:54 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I read about this new stock version on my country's forums. Unfortunately nobody has dumped yet this version because I'm very interested.
28th January 2016, 10:06 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durete

I read about this new stock version on my country's forums. Unfortunately nobody has dumped yet this version because I'm very interested.

Yeah, I'm an idiot for not doing it. It looks easy to.
28th January 2016, 10:14 AM |#5  

More
I'm pretty happy with sikke1's "Debloated" stock rom. You should try it. I don't like neither customized roms based in stock roms for different devices.
28th January 2016, 05:40 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
I'm using Mireks now. If someone dumps the build that seems to be showing up on new Air IIIs then I'm going straight back to that, it was perfect!
29th January 2016, 09:11 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hordarian

I'm using Mireks now. If someone dumps the build that seems to be showing up on new Air IIIs then I'm going straight back to that, it was perfect!

I received my M5C5 with clean stock rom yesterday (also from Gearbest Europe store)

1.) I can try to backup this ROM, if you like, but you have to tell me how....
2.) My plan was to flash to mirek V7, but if I understand you correctly, it's better to stay on stock, right?

PS: In fact, the ROM looks ok, the only thing I'm really missing is root!
Till now I can't find a working instruction how to root this stock ROM....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heino69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift heino69 Ad-Free
29th January 2016, 11:23 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heino69

I received my M5C5 with clean stock rom yesterday (also from Gearbest Europe store)

1.) I can try to backup this ROM, if you like, but you have to tell me how....
2.) My plan was to flash to mirek V7, but if I understand you correctly, it's better to stay on stock, right?

PS: In fact, the ROM looks ok, the only thing I'm really missing is root!
Till now I can't find a working instruction how to root this stock ROM....

(1) It looks like there are a few people that would like the backup

Having not done a partition backup before some digging suggests it requires root or booting from a custom recovery.

This should allow you to root it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...p-cwm-t2975096, it might allow a full backup to SD card as well.

(2) I'm always grateful to all of the ROM developers, but it seems in this case (maybe the first time ever!) the stock ROM is absolutely perfect stock Android! It is a better base for anyone to build a custom ROM from than any of the previous ones!
29th January 2016, 11:42 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hordarian

This should allow you to root it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...p-cwm-t2975096, it might allow a full backup to SD card as well.

I know this thread about rooting, but currently I'm waiting for feedback in another (German) forum about this rooting method, which maybe can brick the Air III...
29th January 2016, 11:54 AM |#10  

More
I used that method to Root my Air III with Sikke1's "Debloated" Rom and to install Xposed.
I guess is pretty sure to use since the Root zip only add Supersu and binaries to /System.
29th January 2016, 12:16 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I received my Air III M5C5 from Gearbest three weeks ago, but unfortunately it had the previous bloated Chinese ROM. Although I am very satisfied with Mirek v7, I will be very happy to test this one, if you are able to get it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)