FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Easy steps/screenshots to install Windows drivers for FastBoot to work with XA2 Ultra

8,847 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,996
 
By roirraW "edor" ehT, Recognized Contributor on 22nd April 2018, 10:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

I hope this guide with both text descriptions and screenshots for every step can help anyone who had trouble with the driver installation steps. They're not difficult steps, but on three PCs that I installed the drivers on, I found the description of the method to be just a little different than what some users experienced, so please note that you may have a slightly different experience, and this post is not meant to mean that this is the only way to get the Xperia XA2 Ultra drivers installed.

Also note that I have the H3223 model (one of the two "Discovery" types, just in case there are any differences in experiences for those with different variants, as well.

Please use this thread for all variants, however, as long as it is regarding the installation of drivers.

Quote:

First the thanks:

Sony for making their devices bootloader unlockable and being developer-friendly.
@LuK1337 for building official TWRP for the "Pioneer" types of The XA2 Ultra, which at least for 'fastboot boot TWRP.img', works great on the "Discovery" variants as well.
@Chainfire for [BETA][2017.10.01] SuperSU v2.82 SR5, which works great on the ROM v50.1.A.5.59_R6A.
@topjohnwu for Magisk, which I know others are using and I may have to switch to when this device is updated to Android 8.1+, as I know from personal experience SuperSU doesn't work on the 2016 Pixel on Android 8.1, at least not by straight flashing the zip.
@li0nh3art3d and @AngryManMLS for leading me down the path of being able to successfully install the correct drivers, in this thread Unlocking Bootloader/Rooting

If I missed anyone, please let me know and I'll correct ASAP.

The steps are (also all instructions and screenshots are available here and below (click on the thumbnails to open larger copies):

1a. Go to the Sony Driver webpage and download Xperia XZ2 driver and unzip it
OR
1b. Go to Xperia XZ2 driver webpage and download the driver and unzip it

2. Put the Xperia XA2 Ultra in Fastboot mode (turn the phone off and disconnect it from any cables, press and hold the Up Volume button, and while doing so, connect the cable from the computer to the phone

3. Right-click on Start Button


4. Click 'Device Manager'


5. 'Device Manager' - 'Other devices'


6. Right-click on 'Android', choose 'Update driver'


7. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'


8. Browse or copy-paste path of extracted Xperia XZ2 driver, and choose 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer'


9. Choose 'Show All Devices', click 'Next'


10. Choose 'Have Disk'


11. Browse to or select in the drop-down menu the path to the extracted Xperia XZ2 driver


12. Click 'OK'


13. Select the only driver that is listed and click 'Next' (on just one of the three PCs I installed the driver to, there were more than one Sony drivers listed, and I'm pretty sure I picked the one that said 'Fastboot' in it in that case)


14. Select 'Yes' at the warning dialog


15. Click 'Close'


16. Observe that Device Manager now lists 'Sony sa0118 ADB Interface Driver' in the 'Sony sa0118' section (again, on just one of the three PCs that I installed the driver too, it said something different in that case)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roirraW "edor" ehT Ad-Free
 
 
24th April 2018, 04:36 PM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
thanx
The Following User Says Thank You to sonyalmarshad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonyalmarshad Ad-Free
Aklenz07
15th July 2018, 07:44 AM |#3  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
thank you for this. I couldnt get anything to work until i tried this. very useful
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
15th July 2018, 03:20 PM |#4  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 4,996
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyalmarshad

thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aklenz07

thank you for this. I couldnt get anything to work until i tried this. very useful

You're welcome, glad it helps some people.
27th October 2018, 05:13 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi, This did not work...... (error code 10) when trying to update driver as in your instructions!...... which i thought might happen as youve directed us to the XZ2 driver instead of XA2 ULTRA driver!!!
Where the hell can I find the proper XA2 ULTRA driver?????? ...cant find anywhere...its crazy!!!
27th October 2018, 05:52 PM |#6  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 4,996
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake333at333

Hi, This did not work...... (error code 10) when trying to update driver as in your instructions!...... which i thought might happen as youve directed us to the XZ2 driver instead of XA2 ULTRA driver!!!
Where the hell can I find the proper XA2 ULTRA driver?????? ...cant find anywhere...its crazy!!!

There is no XA2 Ultra driver, that's why we have to use the XZ2 one.
24th February 2019, 08:20 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
First, thank you for the great guide. Now, sorry about the possibly silly question, but I am a bit of a neophyte. I am able to follow these instructions and install the adb driver for the XA2 Ultra (all works as described). However, after I eject the phone and reconnect it while in USB debugging mode to try to use an adb command (to add a permission to write_secure_settings), Windows does not recognize the phone as an adb device. Thus I cannot do anything. I have tried this on two different Windows machines and the result is the same. Please apologies again if this is silly, but I feel I am missing something important. Thank you in advance.
24th February 2019, 05:53 PM |#8  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 4,996
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco05

First, thank you for the great guide. Now, sorry about the possibly silly question, but I am a bit of a neophyte. I am able to follow these instructions and install the adb driver for the XA2 Ultra (all works as described). However, after I eject the phone and reconnect it while in USB debugging mode to try to use an adb command (to add a permission to write_secure_settings), Windows does not recognize the phone as an adb device. Thus I cannot do anything. I have tried this on two different Windows machines and the result is the same. Please apologies again if this is silly, but I feel I am missing something important. Thank you in advance.

Thanks, and you're welcome! I'm afraid I haven't actually used ADB that much with this phone. Does Device Manager actually list 'Sony sa0118 ADB Interface Driver' in the 'Sony sa0118' section (as I noted in the OP, on one or more PCs it said something different, and in a differently-named section)? You may find better help if you create a new thread in the general Q&A section since this problem doesn't deal directly with the driver installation problem that this thread is for. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roirraW "edor" ehT Ad-Free
24th February 2019, 06:43 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT

Does Device Manager actually list 'Sony sa0118 ADB Interface Driver' in the 'Sony sa0118' section (as I noted in the OP, on one or more PCs it said something different, and in a differently-named section)?

It does! All goes exactly like your screenshots indicate. But when you eject the phone and reconnect it again in USB Debugging mode, the ADB driver is gone, and you when type 'ADB devices' on CMD, nothing shows, so Windows cannot find it and it's not possible to run any commands. Let me do some more searching prior to starting a new thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaco05 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flaco05 Ad-Free
24th March 2019, 02:43 AM |#10  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 4,996
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco05

It does! All goes exactly like your screenshots indicate. But when you eject the phone and reconnect it again in USB Debugging mode, the ADB driver is gone, and you when type 'ADB devices' on CMD, nothing shows, so Windows cannot find it and it's not possible to run any commands. Let me do some more searching prior to starting a new thread.

Did you ever have any luck?
24th March 2019, 04:40 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT

Did you ever have any luck?

Gave up temporarily; until my phone receives the Pie update.

Thanks for checking in!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaco05 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Flaco05 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
driver, drivers, fastboot, sony, xa2 ultra

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes