Workaround for CMI Mi 10 Pro 5G Global Custom ROM & Root eg MIU 12

Search This thread

neunzehn77

Dec 7, 2011
Berlin
There is a problem while rooting and installing TWRP recovery on the MI 10 Pro 5G (German-Version ROM Global). If you try to install TWRP you will not be able to get into the recovery. If you try (Vol up + Power) you`ll only able to start the MIU-Recovery.
Also I got some problems to get google pay to work, but this way works for me.

Before we start the disclaimer " I'm not responsible for any damage / bricking / ... If this way fails on your phone"

How to install MIU 12 EU CMI to get Dual-SIM, MIU Phone-App,...

You need:
- an unlocked boot loader
- a working ADB on Win / Mac / Linux
- TWRP I took this one HERE
- a custom ROM I took the weekly EU-ROM because I want Dual-Sim, the regular MI-Caller and the other cool stuff. You could find it HERE take the one for MI 10 Pro!! Alternativ MIU 12 ROM (tested)

MIU 12 EU stable Vers: 12-10 get it here

1 Step:
connect your phone to your computer and copy your "new" ROM to the device

2. Step:
Power off phone > hold Vol down + Power and reboot in Fastboot-Mode

3. Step start TWRP in a different way
fastboot boot "link to your TWRP Recovery"
EXAMPLE: fastboot boot C:\Users\neunzehn\Desktop\ADB\TWRP\recovery.img

now you boot TWRP from you computer without installing, so if anything goes wrong you are able to plug of and reboot in Fastboot.

4. Step flash ROM
DON`T UNPLUG YOUR PHONE!
choose your preferred language in TWRP and flash the ROM you put on the Phone before

5. Step
Reboot your Phone.. it will stuck /reboot (don't get nervous let it happen for e few times)
Press " Volume up + Power" you get the MIU Recovery choose " Wipe Data"

6.Step
Wait that your phone boot is complete , in my case it tooks 10 Min... after that you got your Custom-ROM

How to root without losing Bank-Apps, Safety-Net

You need:

1. Step:
connect your phone to your computer and copy your Magisk v20.2 to your device IMPORTED only use Magisk 20.2 you can get it HERE

2. Step:

3. Step start TWRP in a diffrent way

4. Step flash root
DON`T UNPLUG YOUR PHONE!
choose your preferred language in TWRP and flash the Magisk.zip you put on the Phone before

5 Step reboot
Reboot your Phone. After Reboot start the Magisk-App and disable "automatic-update / search for update" and make the safety-net test.

Done...

PS: In 8 years of flashing I never have seen this behavior, don't ask me why this is actually the best way to get a stable CR on your phone. I tried this way on 3 MI 10 Pro 5G bought in Germany (Telekom, Media Markt, Ebay) with the awful Global ROM

CREDITS go to: XDA and MIU for ROM and TWRP

Article UPDATES:

06/25/20: Link to TWRP was broken > corrected
06/27/20 added workaround to root
07/02 added stable 12 MIU EU-ROM (all languages are supported)

Last edited:

s3axel

Mar 4, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Interesting, must then be specific to the German edition of the phone as I didn't get this with my (Global) Mi 10 Pro !

Following your description it seems as if flashing TWRP does not work, what are the commands you used ? It should be "fastboot flash recovery <twrp_file.img>"....

As an idea: what would happen if you boot TWRP as in your step 4, then copy the TWRP file to the phone and install TWRP from TWRP ?

Flash-User

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks, nice to know, i even got my phone from mediamarkt in germany.
Could you please tell me, is the phone encrypted after you've flashed Xiaomi.eu?
AND, is google pay working?

thx

neunzehn77

Dec 7, 2011
Berlin
Interesting, must then be specific to the German edition of the phone as I didn't get this with my (Global) Mi 10 Pro !
As an idea: what would happen if you boot TWRP as in your step 4, then copy the TWRP file to the phone and install TWRP from TWRP ?

I also tired this, but it produced a boot loop an " Chinese-Letters"

neunzehn77

Dec 7, 2011
Berlin
Thanks, nice to know, i even got my phone from mediamarkt in germany.
Could you please tell me, is the phone encrypted after you've flashed Xiaomi.eu?
AND, is google pay working?

thx

You have to encrypt it at the first boot via your MI-Account , Yes Google Pay works for me and also Postbank, Moneese, and im able to "disable" the Exposure Notification Framework ( the discussion on SWR / WDR / NDR in Germany about GPRD / Security of the Covid-STuff)

B!GBOY

Jul 22, 2010
??
Xiaomi Mix Fold 3
If you try to install TWRP you will not be able to get into the recovery. If you try (Vol up + Power) you`ll only able to start the MIU-Recovery.

it's been like this for years now, just google "twrp replaced by stock recovery xiaomi reboot" you'll find lots of reddit posts of this happening.

i only do this once when buying a new device so sorry I don't remember exactly which one but there are two ways to reboot after installing the recovery and one of them prevents the device from overwrite the recovery, if I remember correctly :D

1- run "fastboot reboot" and hold volume up
2- hold power and vol up until the device reboots and boots to recovery

on another note, this section is for development not tutorials and general discussions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ted presley

sithlord512589

Dec 28, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro
Thank you neunhzehn77 !!! U saved my day

Now folks let me tell you something...

I´m not new to rooting phones anyway and i did try several ways to get the xiamomi.eu custom rom on my Mi 10 Pro.

I failed every single time.

Then asking neunzehn77 for specific help on my flashing situation in a private chat.

This guy explained to me some of the "super-partition-features-issues" and cleared his guide for me.

What can i say... i truly folled his guide step-by-step and i´m now on xiaomi.eu beta MIUI 12 rom in no time.

And again thank neunzehn77 for saving my MIUI-Rom-experience for good.:victory:

Reactions: neunzehn77

neunzehn77

Dec 7, 2011
Berlin
Won't happen if you follow my guide. My friend in Switzerland tried it with the Global Mi10Pro without issues :)

https://youtu.be/uM1dBptUBd8

If you follow your guide, you will lose essential-stuff like some Banking-Apps, Google-Pay,... and some more. I tried your way on a "German MI 10 Pro 5G" and get random boot-loops... maybe there is an unknown difference between CN ,EU, Global Versions. I don't know... for me your guide isn't working... but maybe that's a way for CN/US bought MI`s

In my case its better to leave the Super-Partition untouched, to get unwanted effects.

Thanx for sharing Mate...

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
If you follow your guide, you will lose essential-stuff like some Banking-Apps, Google-Pay,... and some more. I tried your way on a "German MI 10 Pro 5G" and get random boot-loops... maybe there is an unknown difference between CN ,EU, Global Versions. I don't know... for me your guide isn't working... but maybe that's a way for CN/US bought MI`s

In my case its better to leave the Super-Partition untouched, to get unwanted effects.

Thanx for sharing Mate...

Thanks for this valuable feedback. I have to put up a warning for EU users then.
Can you remember what exactly it was that lead to errors or problems? And which TWRP did you use? xiaomi.eu's modified one or LR.Team's?
Also, how exactly did you flash magisk?
On my CN CMI I also had all these problems, when touching the super partition. That's common as soon as you modify the super partition: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/twrp-and-system-problem.56103/

Do you remember what exactly you did differently from my guide in order for you to make it work? I could incorporate that into the AIO Guide on XDA.

Marcoziezo

Apr 12, 2016
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi 10
@neunzehn77 I have a question for you. I just unlocked the bootloader of my Mi 10 (yes not the pro, but the principle is the same). I bought it through Orange in Belgium and it is the Global version, I suppose it must be similar to yours. I see that you didn't format or wipe when flashing a new ROM and all other guides I find do format /data. Isn't this necessary when going from the official ROM to a Xiaomi.EU ROM? The problem with your workaround would then be that the ROM you put in your storage would be gone. I am used to flashing Oneplus devices, but this is something else... It really confuses me.

Last edited:

Marcoziezo

Apr 12, 2016
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi 10

I´m not new to rooting phones anyway and i did try several ways to get the xiamomi.eu custom rom on my Mi 10 Pro.

Then asking neunzehn77 for specific help on my flashing situation in a private chat.

This guy explained to me some of the "super-partition-features-issues" and cleared his guide for me.

What can i say... i truly folled his guide step-by-step and i´m now on xiaomi.eu beta MIUI 12 rom in no time.

Hi, I'm on the verge of trying to flash xiaomi.eu ROM on my Mi 10 (Global - Belgium) and rooting it afterwards. The problem is that I'm a bit afraid of getting an error or a bootloop and not knowing how to recover from it. I'm not familiar with Xiaomi because I always had a Oneplus device before. How did you fix it? Did you format /data like other guides suggest? Or did you just "dirty flash" xiaomi.eu on top of the stock ROM like in this workaround guide?

marcel112

Hi, I'm on the verge of trying to flash xiaomi.eu ROM on my Mi 10 (Global - Belgium) and rooting it afterwards. The problem is that I'm a bit afraid of getting an error or a bootloop and not knowing how to recover from it. I'm not familiar with Xiaomi because I always had a Oneplus device before. How did you fix it? Did you format /data like other guides suggest? Or did you just "dirty flash" xiaomi.eu on top of the stock ROM like in this workaround guide?
No no.. when you switch to custom you have to start all over. So wipe and format(make cloud backup ?)

Marcoziezo

Apr 12, 2016
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi 10
No no.. when you switch to custom you have to start all over. So wipe and format(make cloud backup ?)

I used the latest LR team TWRP (3.4.2B wzsx150 from june 23) and it worked out fine with my global (European) version of the Mi 10. So this workaround is not needed anymore I guess.
1) I fastboot flashed this TWRP version
2) Booted to TWRP
3) Formatted /data
4) Rebooted to TWRP to be able to acces the internal storage
5) Transferred and flashed the Xiaomi.EU stable build of August 10th
6) Rebooted to system.

Everything is working fine, I am rooted using Magisk 20.4 with some modules and even swift installer is working great.
Cheers

marcel112

I used the latest LR team TWRP (3.4.2B wzsx150 from june 23) and it worked out fine with my global (European) version of the Mi 10. So this workaround is not needed anymore I guess.
1) I fastboot flashed this TWRP version
2) Booted to TWRP
3) Formatted /data
4) Rebooted to TWRP to be able to acces the internal storage
5) Transferred and flashed the Xiaomi.EU stable build of August 10th
6) Rebooted to system.

Everything is working fine, I am rooted using Magisk 20.4 with some modules and even swift installer is working great.
Cheers

just remember, on android 11, you cant use normal magisk 20.4.
You need to use canary builds.
Also Android 11, twrp cant decrypt using pincode... you need to set up , gesture

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a problem while rooting and installing TWRP recovery on the MI 10 Pro 5G (German-Version ROM Global). If you try to install TWRP you will not be able to get into the recovery. If you try (Vol up + Power) you`ll only able to start the MIU-Recovery.
    Also I got some problems to get google pay to work, but this way works for me.

Before we start the disclaimer " I'm not responsible for any damage / bricking / ... If this way fails on your phone"

How to install MIU 12 EU CMI to get Dual-SIM, MIU Phone-App,...

You need:
    - TWRP I took this one HERE
    - a custom ROM I took the weekly EU-ROM because I want Dual-Sim, the regular MI-Caller and the other cool stuff. You could find it HERE take the one for MI 10 Pro!! Alternativ MIU 12 ROM (tested)

MIU 12 EU stable Vers: 12-10 get it here

1 Step:
    connect your phone to your computer and copy your "new" ROM to the device

2. Step:

3. Step start TWRP in a different way

now you boot TWRP from you computer without installing, so if anything goes wrong you are able to plug of and reboot in Fastboot.

4. Step flash ROM
    DON`T UNPLUG YOUR PHONE!
    choose your preferred language in TWRP and flash the ROM you put on the Phone before

5. Step
    Reboot your Phone.. it will stuck /reboot (don't get nervous let it happen for e few times)
    Press " Volume up + Power" you get the MIU Recovery choose " Wipe Data"

6.Step
    Wait that your phone boot is complete , in my case it tooks 10 Min... after that you got your Custom-ROM

How to root without losing Bank-Apps, Safety-Net

You need:

1. Step:
    connect your phone to your computer and copy your Magisk v20.2 to your device IMPORTED only use Magisk 20.2 you can get it HERE

2. Step:

3. Step start TWRP in a diffrent way

4. Step flash root
    DON`T UNPLUG YOUR PHONE!
    choose your preferred language in TWRP and flash the Magisk.zip you put on the Phone before

5 Step reboot
    Reboot your Phone. After Reboot start the Magisk-App and disable "automatic-update / search for update" and make the safety-net test.

Done...

PS: In 8 years of flashing I never have seen this behavior, don't ask me why this is actually the best way to get a stable CR on your phone. I tried this way on 3 MI 10 Pro 5G bought in Germany (Telekom, Media Markt, Ebay) with the awful Global ROM

CREDITS go to: XDA and MIU for ROM and TWRP

Article UPDATES:

06/25/20: Link to TWRP was broken > corrected
    06/27/20 added workaround to root
    07/02 added stable 12 MIU EU-ROM (all languages are supported)
    If you try to install TWRP you will not be able to get into the recovery. If you try (Vol up + Power) you`ll only able to start the MIU-Recovery.

it's been like this for years now, just google "twrp replaced by stock recovery xiaomi reboot" you'll find lots of reddit posts of this happening.

i only do this once when buying a new device so sorry I don't remember exactly which one but there are two ways to reboot after installing the recovery and one of them prevents the device from overwrite the recovery, if I remember correctly :D

1- run "fastboot reboot" and hold volume up
    2- hold power and vol up until the device reboots and boots to recovery

on another note, this section is for development not tutorials and general discussions :)
    Thank you neunhzehn77 !!! U saved my day