FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Guide and Discussion: Backing up and restoring EFS.

2,555 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,708
 
By duraaraa, Senior Member on 25th May 2018, 12:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you have an unlocked bootloader, it can be pretty easy to brick your phone. If you wipe the wrong partitions, you can lose your EFS and your radio will no longer work.

To prevent against this, my suggestion is that everyone take and keep a backup. Here's how.

The EFS Partitions:
On the Mix 2S there are three partitions you should back up. modemst1, modemst2, and fsg.
modemst1 can be found at /dev/block/sdf6
modemst2 can be found at /dev/block/sdf7
fsg can be found at /dev/block/sde36

How to back them up
First, get into TWRP. TWRP and instructions for flashing it are here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xia...overy-t3786868

Once TWRP has loaded up, connect the USB cable from your phone to your computer, and, assuming you have installed ADB already, get an adb shell by going to command line and typing:
Code:
adb shell
From there, let's backup all three partitions
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/sdf6 of=/sdcard/sdf6.img
dd if=/dev/block/sdf7 of=/sdcard/sdf7.img
dd if=/dev/block/sde36 of=/sdcard/sde36.img
exit
Now, you can use adb to pull the files to your computer:
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/sdf6.img
adb pull /sdcard/sdf7.img
adb pull /sdcard/sde36.img
Keep these backups in a safe place!

Research regarding this
For those interesting in research in this, I have found the following:
• If you wipe modemst1, modemst2, and fsg your IMEI and all NV data on the modem is lost, and the radio does not work.
• You can make a backup with QPST and restore it, and it will restore your IMEI numbers, but the radio still will not work. This is something I'd like to get working very much.
• I am still trying to learn more about this, so if anyone would like to help, please send me backups of sdf6, sdf7, and sde36 of the Mi Mix 2S and let me know which spec you have. I think it may be possible to convert the limited LTE band version to the full LTE band version for example.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to duraaraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift duraaraa Ad-Free
 
 
25th May 2018, 07:17 AM |#2  
underlines's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 403
 
More
Thanks for starting this topic. It's really important to backup EFS...
The guide would be complete if someone really tried to backup and then restore with this method
25th May 2018, 07:59 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by underlines

Thanks for starting this topic. It's really important to backup EFS...
The guide would be complete if someone really tried to backup and then restore with this method

If OP doesn't mind, you could add a link to this thread on your Guide thread as well.
25th May 2018, 01:01 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag 東京☆Улаанбаатар☆Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,708
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by underlines

Thanks for starting this topic. It's really important to backup EFS...
The guide would be complete if someone really tried to backup and then restore with this method

I already did back up and restore with this method, several times. It works.
The Following User Says Thank You to duraaraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift duraaraa Ad-Free
28th May 2018, 09:04 AM |#5  
Member
Flag Izmir
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
hi miuiers ;
EFS partitions backup not enough for some new models for restore QCN or EFS ..

therefore my advice for EFS backup using some box or dongle UMT , BST etc.
30th May 2018, 12:42 AM |#6  
os_man's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag istanbul
Thanks Meter: 71
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro77

hi miuiers ;
EFS partitions backup not enough for some new models for restore QCN or EFS ..

therefore my advice for EFS backup using some box or dongle UMT , BST etc.

They are not trying to edit or change the imei you wiseguy mikrop, no box needed if you have the brain, which you don't have
30th May 2018, 01:43 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag 東京☆Улаанбаатар☆Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,708
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro77

hi miuiers ;
EFS partitions backup not enough for some new models for restore QCN or EFS ..

therefore my advice for EFS backup using some box or dongle UMT , BST etc.

I don't think there is anything a box does which QCN doesn't do. If it's in diag mode, all it can do is try to read the nv items and restore them.
As stated earlier, restoring the nv items directly from a QCN or otherwise in diag mode, you can't get the phone to connect to network after this. What would using a box make different about this? I don't think there are any boxes yet which support Mi Mix 2S, but if there are, let me know.

I've already experimented with some dongles (MRT for example), but I get same result as with QPST.
30th May 2018, 02:45 AM |#8  
Member
Flag Izmir
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by os_man

They are not trying to edit or change the imei you wiseguy mikrop, no box needed if you have the brain, which you don't have

hosht :/

what about oneplus or oppo ?

mister brain ?


READ AGAIN HERE ONE MORE TIME ;

@ duraaraa

"You can make a backup with QPST and restore it, and it will restore your IMEI numbers, "
"but the radio still will not work"

OR HERE;

"you can't get the phone to connect to network after this."


did you get it right now ?

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa

I don't think there is anything a box does which QCN doesn't do. If it's in diag mode, all it can do is try to read the nv items and restore them.
As stated earlier, restoring the nv items directly from a QCN or otherwise in diag mode, you can't get the phone to connect to network after this. What would using a box make different about this? I don't think there are any boxes yet which support Mi Mix 2S, but if there are, let me know.

I've already experimented with some dongles (MRT for example), but I get same result as with QPST.

yes you are right no box solution mix2s for now.

also qcn restore not enough for some new models.

but if you use box in EDL mode for backup EFS , sometimes only way for restore EFS , IMEI ,MEID etc.

its tested new model xiaomi phones.
30th May 2018, 02:47 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag 東京☆Улаанбаатар☆Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,708
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro77

hosht :/

what about oneplus or oppo ?

mister brain ?


READ AGAIN HERE ONE MORE TIME ;

@ duraaraa

"You can make a backup with QPST and restore it, and it will restore your IMEI numbers, "
"but the radio still will not work"

OR HERE;

"you can't get the phone to connect to network after this."


did you get it right now ?

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------



yes you are right no box solution mix2s for now.

qcn restore not enough for some new models.

but if you use box in EDL mode for backup EFS , sometimes only way for restore EFS , IMEI ,MEID etc.

its tested new model xiaomi phones.

With unlocked bootloader, you can back up and restore efs by backing up and restoring fsg or modemst1 / modemst2 partition on Mix 2S. However if you do not have a backup of these partitions and yours end up wiped, there is no way to restore. This is what I'm hoping to solve.
30th May 2018, 02:59 AM |#10  
Member
Flag Izmir
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraaraa

With unlocked bootloader, you can back up and restore efs by backing up and restoring fsg or modemst1 / modemst2 partition on Mix 2S. However if you do not have a backup of these partitions and yours end up wiped, there is no way to restore. This is what I'm hoping to solve.

first dont need unlock for EFS backup or restore via box (easy way ) or coding ( little bit hard way ) .

just test point to phone for EDL and after you can backup or restore EFS , fsg or modemst1 / modemst2 partitions .
30th May 2018, 03:00 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag 東京☆Улаанбаатар☆Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,708
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro77

first dont need unlock for EFS backup or restore via box (easy way ) or coding ( little bit hard way ) .

just test point to phone for EDL and after you can backup or restore EFS , fsg or modemst1 / modemst2 partitions .

I think maybe that's incorrect. It's not possible to enter EDL mode without unlocked bootloader. Also, with Mi Mix 2S, EDL mode seems to not work (for example MiFlash can't flash in EDL mode on it). But maybe I am wrong?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes