I will try to mention all people from who I take sources from. If I forgot anyone, please don't hesitate to tell me.
If you have change requests or useful additions, I will try to update the original posts ASAP.
Change log 2018-08-16 03:30 AM UTC
+ Updated: MIUI 10 china & global beta links + Added: Google Maps Location Sharing & Timeline on Chinese ROM + Updated: Working GCam links
Get live help and discuss topics around Mi Mix 2S in our Telegram Group: t.me/xda_mi_mix_2s
Available ROM & Download Links
The variants sold outside of China come with the Global ROM including Google Apps.
For devices that have the Official Chinese ROM, it's only possible to flash the Official Global ROM after you unlock your device due to region mismatch.
OTA or recovery zips can be flashed in the official MIUI updater app if it matches your region) or if you're unlocked, you can flash through TWRP whatever you want.
Fastboot ROM can be flashed by using fastboot or the XiaoMi Flash Tool.
Recovery can be flashed through the Updater app on your phone (if locked, china can only flash china, global can only flash global) or better through TWRP Recovery (if unlocked, can of course flash any region over any).
Fastboot can be flashed by connecting your phone through USB and use XiaoMi Flash Tool or fastboot.
Custom ROMs can be flashed by TWRP (if unlocked)
MIUI 9.5 Official Download Links on miui.com (Chinese Stable/Developer, Global Stable/Developer)
MIUI 9.5 Global Stable (leaked):
MIUI 10 Global Closed Beta, Android 9 (leaked)
MIUI 10 Global Closed Beta, Android 8 (leaked):
MIUI 10 Chinese Beta, Android 9.0 (leaked)
MIUI 10 Chinese Beta, Android 8.0 (leaked)
Recovery 8.6.6 *relocks bootloader, flash root/magisk or unlock again (you'll loose /data)
MIUI 9.5 xiaomi.eu Custom ROM:
Official Android P preview from Google (pure AOSP):
AOSP Custom ROMs
Available TWRP recoveries & Download Links
TWRP by xiaomi.eu and miuiItalia
The first versions are from xiaomi.eu and miuiItalia and aren't able to read encrypted internal storage. If you want to flash something with this TWRP you need to format your internal storage then copy the file over in MTP mode and flash it. So you loose your storage all the time. No problem when you want to cleanly flash new ROMs, but annoying when you just flash magisk, mods and other things.
Download TWRP polaris by xiaomi.eu
Download TWRP by miuiItalia
TWRP by notsyncing
notsyncing's version is able to work with encrypted storage. You need to enter your pin or draw your lock pattern in order to work. Switching between different ROMs like Chinese/Global/Custom you most probably still need to format your /data, but when you stay on the same ROM no need to wipe or format.
Guide: Install Google Apps & Contact Sync on Chinese ROMs
Chinese ROMs don't contain Google Apps. Especially if you didn't unlock your phone you probably want to install Google Apps and Framework:
- Download the Oreo Google Apps package: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818222786056028173 and extract it on your phone
- Install every APK from 1-6 without opening them after installation!
- Install 8.0-Oreo.com.google.android.gsf_8.0.0-4147944-26_minAPI26.apk
- Don't inistall the remaining two APKs
- Download and install the updated contacts sync 8.1.0 APK: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-apk-download/
- Go into Settings > Installed apps and find all Google Apps in the list. Select each of them and turn on Autostart Permission. Additionally go into Permissions and enable all permissions in there. Again: Do this for all Apps you've just installed or that have the name Google or Contacts or Calendar in it.
- Reboot your phone
- Login to your google account, by opening Settings > Sync > Add Account > Google
Guide: Install Global ROM (leak)
If you're on Chinese or xiaomi.eu ROM and you want to flash the official Global ROM that has been leaked:
- Unlock bootloader
- Download Global V18.104.22.168.ODGMIFA from above
- Boot phone into fastboot, open fastboot console on your pc, connect phone via USB with your pc
- download and extract official twrp recovery for mix 2s and name the file recovery.img and copy it onto C:\
- fastboot boot recovery.img
- wipe > advanced > dalvik cache, system, data, internal storage, cache
- copy V22.214.171.124.ODGMIFA zip and region fix onto your phone (may not be necessary with global device, and/or with newer global ROM leaks. try without the fix first)
- twrp: install V126.96.36.199.ODGMIFA zip
- twrp: install region fix zip
- reboot and complete setup of your phone
For magisk see below
Guide: Install MIUI 10 leak
- phone: boot to fastboot
- pc: Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- phone: wipe data, system, dalvic, cache
- phone: format DATA
- phone: reboot phone into fastboot
- pc: fastboot boot twrp.img
- pc: transfer miui 10 zip to phone memory
- phone: install miui 10 zip
- phone: reboot to miui 10 setup device wizard
- phone: in case your device is bound to a xiaomi ID, enter your password
- phone: complete MIUI 10 setup
- phone: download form apkmirror and install:
Info: info: may not work if you have the chinese 6GB model instead of the global model, but always works on the 8gb model
- phone: reboot to fastboot
- pc: copy magisk 16.4 install/uninstall zip to phone
- phone: install magisk
Guide: Install official Android P developer preview
Google announced the Android P preview officially for the Mi Mix 2S as shown here: https://developer.android.com/preview/devices/
- Unlocked bootloader
- ROM: http://bigota.d.miui.com/8.5.3/polar...ef2f024b87.tgz
- Setup after first boot needs to be completed in Chinese. Then afterwards changing the language to English is possible
Steps to install: Download Android P for Mi Mix 2S: http://www.mi.com/en/androidppreview/
Guide: Unlock bootloader
- On your phone, login to your Miui Account, if you don't have an account, create one. That's under Settings > MI Account
- Enable developer mode on your phone, under Settings > My Device > All Specs > Tap on MIUI version 5 times until the toast notification tells you that you're a developer
- Go into Settings > Additional Settings > Developer options > Enable: OEM unlocking, then go into MI Unlock status and "Add account and device". (If you get an error messages, you need to use a VPN app and connect to a city in Mainland China, like Beijing)
- Download and run http://en.miui.com/unlock/ the unlocker app on your computer, login with your MI Account. The first time you may have to apply for Unlocking permissions with your MI Account. The SMS confirmation code they send you may take several days to arrive. Please be patient and don't try to unlock your device before.
- After you got your SMS confirmation code, enter it in the unlocker application on your computer and connect your phone via USB
- Try to unlock your phone.
- Sometimes Xiaomi will now force you to wait for up to 360 hours until you can try again to unlock. This is annoying, but you have to wait. Otherwise your account may be blocked.
Guide: Flash any Treble ROM
Download any Treble ROM:
- Unlocked bootloader
- Be on Global or Chinese official stable ROM, flash it through XiaoMiFlasher and download the fastboot ROM from mi.com if necessary
- Minimal ADB & Fastboot installed on your Windows computer
- Download the ARM64 NANO OpenGApps for the exact Android version your Treble ROM uses: https://opengapps.org/
- Optional: Download Magisk 16.4 and Magisk Uninstaller
- Perform a factory reset on your device. You have two options here:
- Open the settings app on your phone and look for the factory reset option.
- Boot your phone into fastboot
- With your device connected to your PC start the Minimal ADB & Fastboot console
- Enter a command in the following format: Code:
fastboot flash system
fastboot flash system C:\Users\Superman\Desktop\Mix2S\system-arm64-aonly-gapps-su.img
- Push enter, and allow the image to flash, it could take a few minutes.
- Once it has completed, reboot your device into fastboot then (WARNING: THIS WIPES EVERYTHING) enter Code:
You can flash TWRP and then flash GApps and or Magisk if you want. The DM-Verity check may prevent the phone from booting, so by flashing Magisk DM-Verity check should be disabled and your phone should boot.
Guide: Flash TWRP Recovery and Custom ROM
Download TWRP for Mi Mix 2S above
- Extract the img file of the TWRP zip you've downloaded, into C:\ and name it recovery.img
- Turn off phone
- Press Volume Down + Power button until phone boots into fastboot mode
- Download and install latest Minimal ADB and Fastboot from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2317790 on your windows computer
- Connect your phone with the USB cable
- Open a CMD window on your windows computer (Press CTRL+R enter cmd, press enter)
- enter the following command and press enter: fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery.img
- enter the following command and press enter: fastboot boot C:\recovery.img
- Wipe /data partition
- Copy the ROM zip file to the internal storage of your phone
- Install the ROM zip
Guide: Install Magisk
More information on http://en.miui.com/thread-2449455-1-1.html
For Official Global ROM (not xiaomi.eu) I can confirm this works (safetynet passed):
[B]NOTE: Check your phone model in settings > my device > model (MIUI 9) or settings > my device > verification (MIUI 10). Depending on your Model and ROM Magisk may not work. See below for confirmed outcomes.
Chinese + M1803D5XE + Magisk = OK
Chinese + M1803D5XE + Magisk = OK
xiaomi.eu + M1803D5XE + Magisk = OK
Global + M1803D5XA + SR-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5 = OK
How to flash Magisk the common way
Use the modified twrp with working partition decryption
- Unlock your bootloader
- on PC: fastboot boot recovery.img
- in TWRP: Install your ROM (example Global V9.5.18.ODGMIFA)
- If you want to flash global on a chinese device, in TWRP: install region fix otherwise go to next step
- on Phone: Boot and complete MIUI setup
- on PC: fastboot boot recovery.img
- in TWRP: enter your password to decrypt storage
- in TWRP: install Magisk-v16.4.zip
Guide: Pass Safety Net with Magisk
- Install MagiskHide Props Config in MagiskManager Modules
- Reboot phone
- Install Terminal Android, and start it.
- Give it root permissions
- type in the terminal window:
su props 1 fingerprint
- And boom, pass safetynet after a reboot
Info: You can enable developer mode, turn on USB debugging and use ADB on your PC instead of the terminal on your android. After installing Minimal ADB & Fastboot on your PC, search for the link in your start menu and open it. A black CMD window should appear where you can type commands after you connect your PC with your phone, and allow ADB on your phone. Then enter:
adb devices adb shell
Enable Google Maps Location Sharing & Location History on Chinese MIUI ROM
You need Magisk properly installed on your ROM and then download & install the module: Unlock CN GMS
Google Camera with HDR+
Some modified versions of Google Camera may allow to use HDR+ with the Mi Mix 2S. For some these may work:
As the modders keep creating new fixes, you should try out new versions from here regularily and see if HDR+ works and the portrait camera works.
Original thread: Mix 2S Google Camera