UNOFFICIAL Ubuntu Touch for Redmi 4X (santoni)

Search This thread

Samwei14

Feb 12, 2015
Bratislava
Maybe you could try another recovery ? Like Orangefox ?

Hi, I gave it a try. First thing I removed encryption which I thought might cause problems. I moved to PixelExperience 10 and flashed OrangeFox 9.0.
The result is the same, bootloop on the initial screen, OrangeFox even says that no system is installed (TWRP does not warn about this).

Attachments

• 20200205_150038.jpg
    20200205_150038.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 20200205_150122.jpg
    20200205_150122.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 20200205_150145.jpg
    20200205_150145.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 444
  • 20200205_150317.jpg
    20200205_150317.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 427

TomixUGA

Oct 3, 2019
Hi, I did exactly that:
1) I have TWRP 3.3.1-0 and latest Lineage OS 16 installed
2) I flash Ubuntu zip without wiping anything - I am stuch at the initial MI logo
3) I tried to flash boot.img on top of that - still no luch, stuck at the initial MI logo
I have backup of Lineage OS, so no problem (just need to carefully press volume up+volume down+power to get to recovery)
but I would like to find out what is the proble and try Ubuntu...

Thank you
I don't know why but sometimes it doesn't work. I reinstalled Android and then UT booted successfully (Pixel Experience 9.0). Maybe some encryption stuff

TomixUGA

Oct 3, 2019
Hi, I gave it a try. First thing I removed encryption which I thought might cause problems. I moved to PixelExperience 10 and flashed OrangeFox 9.0.
The result is the same, bootloop on the initial screen, OrangeFox even says that no system is installed (TWRP does not warn about this).
I reinstalled Android (Pixel Experience 9.0) and then it successfully booted. I don't know what's the problem. This method isn't officially supported. I found it myself.

Last edited:

Samwei14

Feb 12, 2015
Bratislava
I reinstalled Android (Pixel Experience 9.0) and then it successfully booted. I don't know what's the problem. This method isn't officially supported. I found it myself.

Thank you, it would be perfect if you could point us where to download exactly the same version of TWRP and Android ROM you used (I downloaded PixelExperience 9.0 from this thread https://t.me/s/r4xchannel?q=#PIXELEXPERIENCE but that one November 2019 is unstable, reboots right after instllation,and installing on top of it did not help...) Thank you

Samwei14

Feb 12, 2015
Bratislava
I tried flash of UB Ports.
I have AICP Pie installed. After backing up boot.img of AICP, I only flashed UBports zip. No wipe. It works.

Hi, thank you very much, I can confirm it works with the latest AICP Pie rom - great!
Could someone please tell me which packages to update to get sound and bluetoooth working? Because when I try to update all, something breaks and I am again in bootloop. This is what I did in terminal:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo touch /userdata/.writable_image
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
it updates many packages, first time the configuration froze at some 55%, second time I updated keyboards separately as that was the point where it hang, but then again dpkg exited with code 1 when installing some lxc-android package (attached image)... after reboot ubuntu did not boot, so I have to do all again. Also would be perfect if I coudld ssh to the phone, but was not successful - it is enough that computer and phone are on the same wifi? Computer could not see the phone.
Thank you and sorry for the long post, at least it is booting now and I can test :)

Attachments

• 20200208_081035.jpg
    20200208_081035.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 20200208_084632.jpg
    20200208_084632.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 360

ManuXD32

May 7, 2019
Hi, everytime i try to install it (even in a clean flash) mi phone stucks in a bootloop. Can anyone explain how to install it? Thanks :)

TomixUGA

Oct 3, 2019
Hi, everytime i try to install it (even in a clean flash) mi phone stucks in a bootloop. Can anyone explain how to install it? Thanks :)
You can try formatting whole data partition. In TWRP click wipe and then click format data. This should also remove any encryption and will (obviously) remove all your data.

PierceB

Oct 9, 2019
Xiaomi Redmi 3S
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
Hi, thank you very much, I can confirm it works with the latest AICP Pie rom - great!
Could someone please tell me which packages to update to get sound and bluetoooth working? Because when I try to update all, something breaks and I am again in bootloop. This is what I did in terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
it updates many packages, first time the configuration froze at some 55%, second time I updated keyboards separately as that was the point where it hang, but then again dpkg exited with code 1 when installing some lxc-android package (attached image)... after reboot ubuntu did not boot, so I have to do all again. Also would be perfect if I coudld ssh to the phone, but was not successful - it is enough that computer and phone are on the same wifi? Computer could not see the phone.
Thank you and sorry for the long post, at least it is booting now and I can test :)

Did work for me with AICP installation first. Really nice so see the phone runing without android. but for daily use i will run linage for microG to run some google play apps. or is it possible to run android apps with ubuntu touch?

suoko

Jan 7, 2010
Tokyo
@TomixUGA how did you create the zip?
Did you use a tool like this shadow53.com/android/zip-builder/download/ or you have a script?
Thanks

TomixUGA

Oct 3, 2019
Did you use a tool like this shadow53.com/android/zip-builder/download/ or you have a script?
Thanks
I manually created the zip, copied system files, then I created file (updater-script) in the zip, looked on Google for syntaxes and "coded" the updater-script.

Btw the script is located in: (the zip file) META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

TomixUGA

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks

I created a zip file, copied system files into it, then I created a new file (updater-script) and "coded" the script with syntaxes found on Google.

Btw the script is located in: (the zip file) META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

Reactions: suoko

sis71

Jun 27, 2009
Hello, I tested it. Great work!
Works great, but is a bit choppy. The "dual boot" also works, but is a bit cumbersome. Is there anything easier?

wmxuan

Aug 3, 2021
If I can customize the horizontal screen, then most of the Ubuntu desktop applications can run normally.

PomocnyInaczej

Dec 5, 2020
Installed using adb sideload 'adb sideload ubuntu.zip' after that configured server for minecraft, its working (not bad not terrible xD)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ported by Danct12 his Discord: https://discord.gg/SXcJqK and Asriel
    This is not my work I only compiled it

IMPORTANT: THIS BUILD IS OUTDATED Developer of this rom officially released it: https://forums.ubports.com/topic/3682/xiaomi-redmi-4x-santoni

Instalation
    Just flash zip file in TWRP
    You don't have to wipe anything
    Note: installation won't format /data , /system , /vendor partition. So you won't lose data but make backup anyway.

What's not working
    • Bluetooth
    • Screen rotation
    • Sound
    • USB MTP
    • Probably USB HDMI desktop mode (not tested)
    • etc
    Password and username
    Default username is: phablet
    Default password is: toor
    (password can be chanched with sudo passwd phablet command)

Dual boot (this is not officially supported method, I found it myself)
    (Sometimes this doesn't work reinstalling Android should fix it)
    Make a backup of boot partition in recovery before installing Ubuntu Touch
    Then flash Ubuntu Touch zip file
    To boot Android restore boot partition backup from recovery
    To get back to Ubuntu Touch flash boot.img as boot partition (scroll down for download)

APT-GET fix
    To get apt package manager working you need to make root of Ubuntu Touch writable
    Type these commands to terminal:

SSH
    To SSH into Ubuntu Touch connect phone to PC.
    IP of the device is 10.15.19.82
    Type ssh phablet@10.15.19.82 in terminal default password is toor

Sound and Bluetooth fix
    Follow APT-GET instructions upper in this post.
    Open terminal app and type sudo apt upgrade

Screenshots
    In attachments

Downloads
    Ubuntu Touch installation zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10rv4bDNWOPmjYB9NZvigI8Kn-jZOoPWX
    Boot.img: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1clKuTcp28DMoZENsUkTUH4O3Pd7DupuX
    This build is unstable can't be used as a daily driver

Source
    https://github.com/ubports-santoni
    Hi

what are your first impressions with UB Ports ?
    Even if it's not stable for moment...

Well, stuck on boot logo...
    Flashed above Miui 10 stable.

edit 2 working for me, only after full wipe and clean flash.
    Looks nice, I didn't try a lot of time, but I like interface. I'll wait anbox working good to flash rom again.

edit 3 : dual boot works with lineage OS ! Great !
    Do you plan to update compilations ?
    Hi

There's still a sad bug : I can't make phone call, no hear sound.
    But yes, sound works with apps like Youtube. Good news !
    Thanks

I created a zip file, copied system files into it, then I created a new file (updater-script) and "coded" the script with syntaxes found on Google.