FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2018-10-19][TREBLE][UNOFFICIAL][8.1.0]LineageOS 15.1

123 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Growtopia Jaw: Upstreamed to android-8.1.0_r52!!!

READ THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

May I present to you, LineageOS 15.1 [Treble]!

Quote:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

Introduction

This is my first Treble build.
I will update this GSI as long as my Google Cloud Platform credit doesn't expire, LineageOS's manifest and @phhusson's Treble manifest are updated.

Project's main aim

This project aims to provide multiple type of Custom GSI ROMs for any device.
For example, LineageOS, Dirty Unicorns and Cosmic-OS.

Requirements
  • TWRP with vendor support (MANDATORY!)
  • Unlocked Bootloader (ALSO MANDATORY!)

Bugs

What's working
  • IR Remote Control
  • Bluetooth
  • VoLTE
  • Adaptive brightness

Installation

1. Backup all your Apps, Contact, Messages and Call logs with "Migrate - custom ROM migration tool" in Play Store
2. Reboot to TWRP and Wipe "Dalvik Cache", " Cache" and "Data" (don't wipe Internal Storage)
3. Select "Install" and select "Install Image"
4. Select lineage151-arm64-aonly-vanilla-nosu.img and select "System Image"
5. Flash!
6. Go to "Install" and select "Install Zip"
7. Flash "treble-riva-v5.zip", "sound_treble_fix.zip", GApps, Magisk and Migrate/Backup_20xx.xx.xx_xx.xx.xx.zip
8. Reboot and restore all your Apps etc.
9. Done!

Changelog

Quote:

2018-12-19
3.0 Third Release
LineageOS 15.1
- Merged December Security Patch
- Upstreamed to 8.1.0_r52
treble-riva-v5.zip
- Updated Vendor Security Patch to November
- Upstreamed kernel to v3.18.128

Previous Changelogs:

1.0 Initial Release
LineageOS 15.1
- Merged October Security Patch
- Updated merged tag to 8.1.0_r38

2018-10-16
2.0 Second Release
LineageOS 15.1
- Merged November Security Patch
- Upstreamed to 8.1.0_r50

Download

1. LineageOS 15.1
https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/treb...nilla-nosu.img
.img.xz (don't bother downloading if you dont know how to uncompress it)
https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/treb...la-nosu.img.xz

Old Releases:
2. treble-riva-v5.zip
https://www.mediafire.com/file/771n3...va-v5.zip/file
3. sound_treble_fix.zip
https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8xc4...e_fix.zip/file
4. GApps (pico)
http://opengapps.org/?download=true&...1&variant=pico
5. Magisk (stable)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

Source Code

1. Script used to compile GSI: https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/treble_experimentations
2. Device Tree: https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/devi...ee/android-8.1
3. Treble Manifest: https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/treb...ee/android-8.1
4. Kernel Tree: https://github.com/GrowtopiaJaw/riva...xiaomi_msm8917

Credits

1. @sunnyraj84348, updated Project Treble Vendor Image and Treble Sound Fix for Xiaomi Redmi 5A
3. @33bca, discovering Xiaomi Redmi 5A Project Treble support
4. @mfonville at OpenGApps, Project founder
5. @topjohnwu, Magisk system-less root solution founder
6. @CyanogenMod, CyanogenMod ROM founder
7. @ciwrl, Former CyanogenMod ROM dev. & Former Leader of the LineageOS ROM Team
8. @haggertk, Current Leader of the LineageOS ROM Team
9. @bin.sayantan, migrate - Custom ROM migration tool creator

Smash the THANKS button if you like my work! Don't say Thanks, smash that button!!

XDA:DevDB Information
[2018-10-19][TREBLE][UNOFFICIAL][8.1.0]LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi 5A

Contributors
Growtopia Jaw
ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 15.1
Stable Release Date: 2018-12-16

Created 2018-11-09
Last Updated 2018-12-22
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Growtopia Jaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Growtopia Jaw Ad-Free

9th November 2018, 06:58 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More

Screenshots

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Growtopia Jaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Growtopia Jaw Ad-Free
9th November 2018, 06:58 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More
These are my plans for the near future:
Current
- Support building for Oreo GSIs.
- They are more stable
- Better graphics performance
- Oreo is the starting point for Project Treble
- Most bugs are already busted and should be bug-free

No Plans
- Don't ask me to build Pie GSIs (I won't build Pie GSIs until this platform is REALLY stable)
- Less stable
- Poor graphics performance (I might be wrong)
- Initial development stage and just starting to rebase Pie's Treble from Oreo
- A lot of bugs to be resolved

Note: I use Project Treble based ROMs as a daily driver. Stability is the most important goal. Oreo = stable, Pie = less stable.

Anyways, stay tuned for more update!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Growtopia Jaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Growtopia Jaw Ad-Free
10th November 2018, 06:12 PM |#4  
Flag Bogor
Thanks Meter: 78

More
I sttill remember when you said you wanted to stick with MIUI, now not only you run to custom roms, but you're also building Treble GSI's. Awsome, bro! Kudos to you! Keep it up!!
10th November 2018, 06:34 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrawk

I sttill remember when you said you wanted to stick with MIUI, now not only you run to custom roms, but you're also building Treble GSI's. Awsome, bro! Kudos to you! Keep it up!!

Hmm.. Well, people's taste always change. I'm bored of using MIUI now plus I need a lighter ROM which requires less system and data space. Treble ROMs are easier to maintain and they can be flashed on almost every devices with Treble support! Graphics performance are also improved and good for daily usage.

Btw, Thanks man!!
12th November 2018, 04:56 PM |#6  
Flag bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growtopia Jaw

Hmm.. Well, people's taste always change. I'm bored of using MIUI now plus I need a lighter ROM which requires less system and data space. Treble ROMs are easier to maintain and they can be flashed on almost every devices with Treble support! Graphics performance are also improved and good for daily usage.

Btw, Thanks man!!

Hello there!

Thank you for this ROM. I'm currently running on LOS 14.1 unofficial with minor issues. Was just wondering if the following are working on this ROM
-IR Blaster
-SE linux enforcing
-Banking apps(without magisk hide)
-Intune company portal app(this is an app that my company uses to enforce policies on outlook - I'm using with Magisk hide and a module to make outlook work)
-double tap to wake up.
-Device not certified(i'm aware of the GSF ID registration)

I'm a fan of LOS 14.1/15.1/16.0 stable & would love to use it everyday. But its just that i'm heavily dependent on my phone for office use which would prevent me from testing/switching OS on frequent basis. I've used official 14.1 on Redmi note 3 and it used to work full fledged without any addons, would this ROM head in that direction ? just a question. if it does, i'd be darn happy & i bet you would find a sizeable members in this community, who would be happy too.

Appreciate your efforts and help.
12th November 2018, 05:02 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavankumar14

Hello there!

Thank you for this ROM. I'm currently running on LOS 14.1 unofficial with minor issues. Was just wondering if the following are working on this ROM
-IR Blaster
-SE linux enforcing
-Banking apps(without magisk hide)
-Intune company portal app(this is an app that my company uses to enforce policies on outlook)
-double tap to wake up.

Would definitely want LOS 14.1/15.1/16.0 stable as daily driver for me, but its just that i'm heavily dependent on my phone for office use which would prevent me from testing OS on frequent basis. I've used official 14.1 on Redmi note 3 and it used to work full fledged without any addons, would this ROM head in that direction ? just a question.

Appreciate your efforts and help.

In the list that you've mentioned, currently only double tap to wake works. This is mostly not the ROMs fault but it depends on the treble implementation for the device.

- IR Blaster - doesn't work
- SE Linux enforcing - if you try to set it with setenforce 1, your phone will freeze and display a black screen
- Banking app, Intune company portal app - yea, because this is a custom ROM and mostly it doesn't pass safety net's test. you need magisk hide for it to work sadly
- Device not certified - you can make it certified but you need to use Magisk module - MagiskHide Props Config and Magisk itself of course. There's a drawback, you can't install Xposed or else the device will not pass safety net and device will not be certified
12th November 2018, 05:37 PM |#8  
Flag bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growtopia Jaw

In the list that you've mentioned, currently only double tap to wake works. This is mostly not the ROMs fault but it depends on the treble implementation for the device.

- IR Blaster - doesn't work
- SE Linux enforcing - if you try to set it with setenforce 1, your phone will freeze and display a black screen
- Banking app, Intune company portal app - yea, because this is a custom ROM and mostly it doesn't pass safety net's test. you need magisk hide for it to work sadly
- Device not certified - you can make it certified but you need to use Magisk module - MagiskHide Props Config and Magisk itself of course. There's a drawback, you can't install Xposed or else the device will not pass safety net and device will not be certified

Thank you for the quick response. I sort of understand what you have told, but i'm not an advanced android user for now. just started with custom ROMs from 4 months. Not too keen on IR blaster for now. I did not understand the setenforce 1 issue. is it a ROM issue ? i'm using SE linux switcher and seems to be working on unofficial LOS 14.1 without crashing the phone.
As noted, When I was using LOS 14.1 official on Redmi NOte 3, device was certified and banking apps worked without magisk. this is what I was referring to. Would the "device certification" depend on the LOS being OFficial vs unofficial ? if so, i can understand.

Not too keen on installing Xposed!, not sure what it does. i havent used it till date, so probably wont use it until there are compelling reasons
12th November 2018, 05:47 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavankumar14

Thank you for the quick response. I sort of understand what you have told, but i'm not an advanced android user for now. just started with custom ROMs from 4 months. Not too keen on IR blaster for now. I did not understand the setenforce 1 issue. is it a ROM issue ? i'm using SE linux switcher and seems to be working on unofficial LOS 14.1 without crashing the phone.
As noted, When I was using LOS 14.1 official on Redmi NOte 3, device was certified and banking apps worked without magisk. this is what I was referring to. Would the "device certification" depend on the LOS being OFficial vs unofficial ? if so, i can understand.

About the setenforce 1, it's the same as selinux switcher. The only difference is you have to type it manually in a command line prompt such as "Terminal Emulator" in Play Store.

The answer to the question "Would the "device certification" depend on the LOS being OFficial vs unofficial ?" is that Treble based ROMs and normal ROM is only different in 1 way.
- Treble supports almost every device with a single flashing zip.
- Normal ROM only supports one phone per flashing zip. It means that if you want to have it on another phone, you have to make another "flashing zip" for that phone.

Because Treble based ROM aims to support as many device as possible, the ROM is built with a flavour called "userdebug". The main reason Treble ROMs doesn't pass " device certification" is because of that "userdebug" flag.

The short answer would simply be "no"
14th November 2018, 09:01 AM |#10  
Flag Hechi
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Looks Great!
Unofficial, is there an opportunity to officially?
Can update to latest security patch?(November security patch)
Can update the latest 3.18.x kernel?(kernel 3.18.125,Can update 4.x better)
Can update compiler to compile kernel?(GCC 8.2)
thanks!
15th November 2018, 02:09 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Johor Bahru

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by askara1994

Looks Great!
Unofficial, is there an opportunity to officially?
Can update to latest security patch?(November security patch)
Can update the latest 3.18.x kernel?(kernel 3.18.125,Can update 4.x better)
Can update compiler to compile kernel?(GCC 8.2)
thanks!

Updating kernel to v4.x is impossible (for now). Current upstream CAF (Code Aurora Forum) release for Qualcomm msm8917 is only at v3.18.125. It's up to Qualcomm if they want to upstream to v4
x. Not every phone can jump to v4.x as different phone has different SoCs and age on market. I'll try to update the kernel ASAP and FYI, the higher the kernel compiler, the more errors it will blurt out during compilation.

I'm trying to compile Dirty Unicorns first. Too bad they have a lot of errors during compilation and I'm trying to figure out how to solve them all.

About official, there is already an official Treble LineageOS maintainer @phhusson. So, obtaining an official maintainer status might not be possible. phhusson is currently working on fixing bugs and stuff. This thread is just to update arm64 & aonly phones.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)