FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for Xiaomi Redmi 4A & 5A [UNIFIED]

881 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,511

By 33bca, Recognized Developer on 24th May 2018, 04:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:

Broken:
  • WIFI MAC address gets randomly generated (only once, you will keep the same as long as you are on LOS)
  • Sepolicy is still permissive
  • Nothing else? Otherwise please report it!

Working:
  • Camera (and flashlight)
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Telephony (Calls and Data)
  • Audio (Record and Playback)
  • Video Playback
  • Sensors
  • GPS
  • VoLTE

Compatibility:
Compatible with all Xiaomi Redmi 4A and Redmi 5A variants (16GB / 32GB), other Redmi devices are not supported.
Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 7.1 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 8.3.29 dev package.
Downloads:
Notice:
  • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
  • Reboot to recovery (Custom TWRP recovery for Redmi 5A - Direct link)
  • Format /system, /data and /cache
  • Install LineageOS zip package
  • Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
  • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
Important notes:
  • Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI 8.3.29 Global dev, otherwise installation could have issues. Download the latest dev fastboot package directly from Xiaomi and flash it prior to installing LineageOS or, alternatively, download and install one of the latest custom packages containing firmware only (at your own risk).
  • GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
  • Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.
Credits & collaborations:
This work is due to efforts from RedmiDevs founding members that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @xboxfanj for all the help during that bring-up.
Finally, all RedmiDevs & LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

Device wiki:
Changelog:
XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi 4A & 5A

Contributors:
33bca
ROM OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.71
ROM Firmware Required: MIUI 8.4.12 dev

Version Information

Created 2018-05-24
Last Updated 2018-05-24
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 33bca For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2018, 04:28 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Basel

More
the zip says its for rolex, but you can flash it on riva too!

BTW: You need a TWRP with vendor support!
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=674106145207489212
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 33bca For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2018, 04:29 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Basel

More
Reserved #2
24th May 2018, 04:29 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Basel

More
Reserved #3
24th May 2018, 05:41 PM |#5  
Salatiga
Thanks Meter: 1

More
is it safe ? tested on Riva ? any other bugs ?
24th May 2018, 06:06 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Can we flash this while using a custom rom or do we have to revert to miui 8.3+ global before flashing?. I'm currently using crdroid oreo build. Thought i might give this a try since it's having root problems as of now.
24th May 2018, 09:23 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Basel

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayata Naoi

is it safe ? tested on Riva ? any other bugs ?

Ofc its tested, I test all builds before I release them on XDA. I also meantion all bugs I find, if there are more than the meantioned ones, just let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan bk

Can we flash this while using a custom rom or do we have to revert to miui 8.3+ global before flashing?. I'm currently using crdroid oreo build. Thought i might give this a try since it's having root problems as of now.

If you already use any Oreo build or custom rom based on Nougat, this one should be fine if you just do a clean install
The Following User Says Thank You to 33bca For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2018, 11:48 PM |#8  
Flag Bogor
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Insane! I remember several months ago where Treble was (said to be) locked and accessible only for certain devices. XDA devs (like yourself) proved them wrong. Then again it makes sense that Treble could reach devices like Xiaomi, which apparently have spare unusable partitions that could be transformed into a vendor partition. It doesn't matter if devices like 5A or 4A are A-only devices, what matters is budget phones like ours won't lose cream of the crop features that Android offers, we won't be stuck with half-baked OEM ROMs that some (or most of the time) disappoints us users with crippled updates or even worse, updates with super worse stability. Kudos to you @33bca !
25th May 2018, 01:59 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Have anyone tried it yet???

Thanks for the development.
25th May 2018, 07:16 AM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Basel

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahim X

Have anyone tried it yet???

Thanks for the development.

Yeah, I always test my builds before pushing them to XDA, I never release broken roms
(I've already answered this question above, so check the previous posts first...)
25th May 2018, 01:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I have tested it everything works fine and smooth.
But there's these bugs.
1.there's a click sound from the speaker coming before every sound
2. its not really a bug as you mentioned in your post about the WiFi Mac address changing. Most of the people won't even notice it but I am having problems, you see the WiFi I use does require Mac address to be connected to the device and that's why I am not able to connect to the WiFi, though I can just tell the owner to add my new Mac address in the system, but I change ROMs very often so I would have to ask them so many times,(I tried to change the Mac address it don't work) it would be really helpful if you could fix it and make it keep the original mac address. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fahim X For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fahim X Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)