FORUMS

[guide][kernel] how to install a gsi[eu variant only guaranteed]

1,514 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,143
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey folks i took the afford and unlocked by bootloader and flash a gsi , i noticed sound and wifi were broken and investigated then i recompiled the olive kernel with some changes hacked together a working kernel image (the sources xiaomi provided are broken)


DOWNLOADS:

AndroidFileHost

STEPS

1. unlock your bootloader
2. disable avb by reflashing vbmeta "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
2. boot into twrp on your pc type "adb shell" then "mount -o rw /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/vendor /vendor " (if your touch works in twrp you can just hit mount and vendor)
4. push the edited fstab file "adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/"
5. flash the gsi , download the one of your choise , even tho we are a only we need arm64 a/b gsis others wont work "fastboot flash system pathtogsisystemimghere"
6. wipe the data to remove the encryption "fastboot -w" (if touch in twrp works hit wipe format data type yes)
7. flash my kernel (fastboot flash boot BOOT_GSI.img )
8 reboot the device (fastboot reboot)
9. after first boot is done enable adb
10. type "adb root" then "adb remount" then "adb push pathtotheoverlayapkilinked /system/overlay/" then "adb reboot"

ALL COMMANDS ARE TYPED WITHOUT ""

Thanks

phh for his gsis
erfan adbi for helping me figuring out how to fix module loading
sellerie for his method of reusing a kernel dtb
me for putting this all together and recompiling the kernel

SOURCES
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J0SH1X For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift J0SH1X Ad-Free
22nd December 2019, 01:16 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
More
Thanks for figuring out and writing it all down for us!

Where can I download the vbmeta.img?
Trying to do this. Got a Redmi 8 EU version with novatek touchscreen, no touch in twrp. Should still work, right? I do not need to do anything in twrp correct?

EDIT: Never mind, other recovery works. How does your kernel compare to stock? Why was it necessary to recompile it? I just installed LOS gsi 5 minutes ago, thanks for your help.
(Also, just out of curiosity: What does fstab.qcom do exactly?
22nd December 2019, 02:08 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 2,143
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M47Z

Thanks for figuring out and writing it all down for us!

Where can I download the vbmeta.img?
Trying to do this. Got a Redmi 8 EU version with novatek touchscreen, no touch in twrp. Should still work, right? I do not need to do anything in twrp correct?

EDIT: Never mind, other recovery works. How does your kernel compare to stock? Why was it necessary to recompile it? I just installed LOS gsi 5 minutes ago, thanks for your help.
(Also, just out of curiosity: What does fstab.qcom do exactly?


which recovery does work for you also how can i find out what screen i do have , the kernel was needed to be recompiled since the modules werent loading at all so we had no sound and no wifi i edited the kernel config to ignore module signatures and also force load modules.

the new fstab does disable the force encryption if it is enabled the gsi will bootloop
22nd December 2019, 02:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 2,143
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M47Z

Thanks for figuring out and writing it all down for us!

Where can I download the vbmeta.img?
Trying to do this. Got a Redmi 8 EU version with novatek touchscreen, no touch in twrp. Should still work, right? I do not need to do anything in twrp correct?

EDIT: Never mind, other recovery works. How does your kernel compare to stock? Why was it necessary to recompile it? I just installed LOS gsi 5 minutes ago, thanks for your help.
(Also, just out of curiosity: What does fstab.qcom do exactly?

got ya , uploaded vbmeta.img also uploaded redmi8 overlay apk so brightness will start work etc just check the updated steps 9 and 10
22nd December 2019, 04:23 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0SH1X

which recovery does work for you also how can i find out what screen i do have

probably property sys.panel.display show it. By me:
Code:
~$ adb shell getprop sys.panel.display
tianma
23rd December 2019, 09:51 AM |#6  
Probe07's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Compatibility
Does all redmi 8 olive support this? ( im new in this gsi and im also noob bout this stuff) thanks!
23rd December 2019, 12:59 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probe07

Does all redmi 8 olive support this? ( im new in this gsi and im also noob bout this stuff) thanks!

You are in correct thread. If something is not working in GSI for your olive , you can report it here.
23rd December 2019, 01:25 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 2,143
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkk88

You are in correct thread. If something is not working in GSI for your olive , you can report it here.

yeah he is in the right thread , it might work on other variants or maybe not , it will boot for sure but idk if my kernel will work for any other variant then eu , just test and report
23rd December 2019, 09:48 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
More
Could you give a noob a link to where I can find gsi's. If there are more than one please give me a link to the one you used succesfully. Thanks.
24th December 2019, 08:28 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
OK, found little time and tried:
history:
MIUI version: MIUI Global 10.3.1 | Stable / 10.3.1.0 (PCNEUXM)

MIUI version: MIUI by xiaomi.eu 11.0.4 | Stable / 11.0.4.0 (PCNCNXM)

GSI AOSP 10.0 v.208 / AOSP 9.0 v.123 installed according J0SH1X guide
Wifi, touchscreen working only till first display lock. Display brighthness and volume cannot be smoothly set
Currently getting warning before first login after each reboot:.
There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.

When touchscreen doesn't respond to your taps, you can still use mouse connected via OTG or ADB cli.
Mouse and adb is working fine also in Unofficial TWRP 3.3.1-1127 for REDMI 8 by wzsx150, just checked.
24th December 2019, 02:51 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 2,143
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkk88

OK, found little time and tried:
history:
MIUI version: MIUI Global 10.3.1 | Stable / 10.3.1.0 (PCNEUXM)

MIUI version: MIUI by xiaomi.eu 11.0.4 | Stable / 11.0.4.0 (PCNCNXM)

GSI AOSP 10.0 v.208 / AOSP 9.0 v.123 installed according J0SH1X guide
Wifi, touchscreen working only till first display lock. Display brighthness and volume cannot be smoothly set
Currently getting warning before first login after each reboot:.
There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.

When touchscreen doesn't respond to your taps, you can still use mouse connected via OTG or ADB cli.
Mouse and adb is working fine also in Unofficial TWRP 3.3.1-1127 for REDMI 8 by wzsx150, just checked.


the warning is expected because my kernel securety patch level is newer then the one provided by vendor , the boot level is the day i packed the bootimage thats why this is happening and i dont have an idea how to set
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes