FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] Unofficial TWRP 3.3.1-0 recovery for Xiaomi Redmi (olive)

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 9
 
By seprode, Junior Member on 10th December 2019, 08:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There is now an official version available (xda post). Go use that.


Old Post:
________________________________

I compiled TWRP for my own Redmi 8 (olive) and thought I would share. Based on the devicetree for the Redmi 8a (olivelite) by milankragujevic.
I have the global variant with a Tianma display. I can't test if it works on any other variant, use with precaution.
I used it successfully to flash the xiaomi.eu rom and magisk.

You can find the device tree on my GitHub: here
And the image in the release section: here

Installation:
  • Unlock Bootloader if not already done (Official Tool)
  • Boot in to fastboot (Powerbutton + volume down)
  • Run fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (for Windows use Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
  • Boot in to recovery (Powerbutton + volume up)

If something breaks you can use MiFlash and the stock fastboot rom to go back to reset your phone (phone will also be locked again) or use fastboot to flash the stock recovery (can also be found in the stock fastboot rom).
You can download the fastboot rom here.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to seprode For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seprode Ad-Free
10th December 2019, 11:43 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thanks for your work

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by seprode

I compiled TWRP for my own Redmi 8 (olive) and thought I would share. Based on the devicetree for the Redmi 8a (olivelite) by milankragujevic.
I have the global variant with a Tianma display. I can't test if it works on any other variant, use with precaution.
I used it successfully to flash the xiaomi.eu rom and magisk.

You can find the device tree on my GitHub: here
And the image in the release section: here

Installation:

  • Unlock Bootloader if not already done (Official Tool)
  • Boot in to fastboot (Powerbutton + volume down)
  • Run fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (for Windows use Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
  • Boot in to recovery (Powerbutton + volume up)

If something breaks you can use MiFlash and the stock fastboot rom to go back to reset your phone (phone will also be locked again) or use fastboot to flash the stock recovery (can also be found in the stock fastboot rom).
You can download the fastboot rom here.

How can I know if my device Tianma display or not?
11th December 2019, 12:18 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabokra1

How can I know if my device Tianma display or not?

Go in to the phone app and dial *#*#6484#*#*. Under 1 and then LCD you can then find the manufacturer.

I don't know if it actually matters. I read here that it affects devices when using the Redmi 8a recovery. Since I forked the code and have a Tianma display I can't really look in to the problem.
11th December 2019, 09:54 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Have you got MTP working while at TWRP? I can't seem to get it right, Windows don't see my phone (adb and fastboot are working). While using adb-sideload I've got error that my mi-globe.zip rom cannot be installed through that method

------ EDIT -----
So, I flashed fastboot stock ROM and recovery. Then flashed this recovery. Booted into stock ROM, copied my custom ROM, rebooted into recovery and still couldn't install - after half of the installation process TWRP shouted that it couldn't mount /system partition. How did you get it to work? And thanks for work!
11th December 2019, 10:48 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulka103

Have you got MTP working while at TWRP? I can't seem to get it right, Windows don't see my phone (adb and fastboot are working). While using adb-sideload I've got error that my mi-globe.zip rom cannot be installed through that method

------ EDIT -----
So, I flashed fastboot stock ROM and recovery. Then flashed this recovery. Booted into stock ROM, copied my custom ROM, rebooted into recovery and still couldn't install - after half of the installation process TWRP shouted that it couldn't mount /system partition. How did you get it to work? And thanks for work!

Can you check your LCD is it Tianma display?
"Go in to the phone app and dial *#*#6484#*#*. Under 1 and then LCD you can then find the manufacturer."
11th December 2019, 02:19 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulka103

Have you got MTP working while at TWRP?

I recompiled TWRP with MTP enabled and it seems to show up as a device but i can't access data from the device.
I installed the image via a sd-card, but usb-otg or adb push should also work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pulka103

TWRP shouted that it couldn't mount /system partition.

Okay I changed the default mounting point of the system partition. Try again with the new image.
11th December 2019, 06:32 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabokra1

Can you check your LCD is it Tianma display?
"Go in to the phone app and dial *#*#6484#*#*. Under 1 and then LCD you can then find the manufacturer."

I do have a Tianma display. Problem isn't with controls but with the TWRP itself in my case.
Just tried new image, same problem "Checking /system. /system is not mounted! Trying to mount /system RW. /system cannot be mounted. [...] Installation will be aborted."
I am using Mi-Globe right now, gonna try with "clean" Xiaomi.eu.

And still can't access storage through Windows Explorer (but device itself is seen, tested with adb).
11th December 2019, 09:10 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
So Xiaomi.eu installed kinda. No errors and stuff but won't boot up. After one try it just goes back into TWRP. Using V11.0.3.0 for HM8 (as described by Xiaomi.eu)
12th December 2019, 09:41 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
luckily, mine has TIANMA display, I'll try while my rm8 is unlocked, thanks bro
12th December 2019, 09:37 PM |#10  
logosA's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heraklion Crete
Thanks Meter: 3,138
 
More
@seprode, Reading your post and seen your work, I decided and today I ordered a Redmi 8 (olive) for my self , too.
I am very thankful that there are people like you, pioneers, who open the path, for all of us to follow.
Thank you again for what you are doing for us.
I hope, soon enough, some developer will pay attention to our new phone and , maybe , we will be also able to see new Android (Q ?) roms for it.
I am active involving so far in Samsung NOTE 2(exynos) and Note 4 (snapdragon) and also Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus community
I will do my best and see, if any of these groups will be able , in the future, to do something for our little brother here.
But the path you have open, is the very important first step to it.
KUDOS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to logosA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift logosA Ad-Free
13th December 2019, 04:11 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
@pulka103 You want to try again? I made some changes and got MTP working.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seprode For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seprode Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes