FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Cardboard with Xperia L

78 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By Noomaan, Member on 29th January 2016, 07:36 AM
Post Answer Email Thread
Has anyone tried Google Cardboard with Xperia L?
I don't think our phone is capable of using G-Cardboard because it is missing gyro sensors!
Add a Comment

3 Answers

26th February 2016, 06:11 AM |#5  
Flag Mayapur
Thanks Meter: 10

More
2 Votes
It depends.

The 2015 version of google cardboard will not work, because it relies only on the gyroscope for direction, because the magnet is being used as a button.

Apps that are designed for the newer, 2016 version of google cardboard can work, because they can use the compass as a backup.

However, I should point out that with the screen of the XL, you will get a terrible resolution. Like, hold a pencil at arms length: The eraser at the end is one pixel.

Also, if you're on stock firmware, the official cardboard app, which you need for configuring things, isn't compatible anymore with android 4.2.2
Add a Comment
25th March 2016, 01:14 PM |#6  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 106

More
2 Votes
I have a cardboard that was intended for my z3, and it works good although the cardboard didn't sealed properly. So, I tried to use this cardboard with my Xperia L for YouTube, then I just realised that 360 videos on youtube didn't work, and also, there isn't a option where we could change the YouTube viewing mode to Cardboard, unless we're on 4.4+, andThe Cardboard app and those 360 apps don't work with Xperia L, too.

So the only option to enjoy cardboard with xperia l is with certain apps like "VR Player" app or something else to watch videos from our phone's files, or you could search something on youtube and try to filter your search by checking "3D", then there will be a side-by-side video that you could watch with your xperia L + Cardboard.

Of course the quality will be not good using Xperia L because of the screen pixel density and resolution. But it was decent for me, Even I watch my movies inside my phone with that VR Player app, yes it isn't great like the "real" 3D thing, but it is worth trying. I watched those movies with my Xperia L and Cardboard with VR Player app frequently, just to make my watching experiences a bit classy lol
Add a Comment
30th January 2016, 04:57 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
0 Votes
The Xperia L doesn't have a gyro sensor, so you would't really be able to use it as intended.
Noomaan 30th January 2016, 05:51 PM
But we can still use it, right?
Add a Comment
Post Answer Subscribe to Thread

Answer Question (no urls or BBcode)
This form is used to answer the question presented at the top of this thread. If you are asking a clarifying question or want to comment on an existing answer, please click on the comment button below that post.