FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Does flashing cyanogenmod replace the boot partition and delete recovery?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By vanillandroid, Junior Member on 11th February 2019, 02:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello guys,

I've got a Sony Xperia M C1905 with Android 4.1.2, white, Firmware 15.1.C.2.8, rooted using towelroot and SuperSU installed as system app version 2.82, pseudo-pro activated.
I think you all know that the Xperia M has no stock recovery and flashing to recovery using "fastboot flash recovery twrp-nicki.img" doesn't work.
Instead I did it using the boot image from https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2480556 .
Now the big question for me is:

Does flashing cyanogenmod replace the /boot partition? Will I lose the recovery? If that is the case, can I reflash the modified boot image (also if this will make cyanogenmod unbootable) and that way get the recovery back and restore stock rom backup?

This is very important for me, I don't want to brick my Xperia M, and I am happy at the moment, because I have CWM recovery and root access. But for me there is something missing if I can't install new roms and do experimental things that maybe softbrick the OS and force me to restore ROM using recovery.

Thanks!!!
Pascal

P.S. So to sum up:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Does flashing a ROM change /boot
Does it delete my recovery or am I safe?
---------------------------------------------------------------

12th February 2019, 09:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
1. You should upgrade to 4.3 (I think latest is 15.4.A.1.9) before flashing anything
2. Yes, flashing any ROM will replace your /boot.
3. Flash TWRP into FOTA kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marek8299 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Marek8299 Ad-Free
12th February 2019, 10:11 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek8299

1. You should upgrade to 4.3 (I think latest is 15.4.A.1.9) before flashing anything.

Problem is that I didn't receive an update notification, and the tool on Windows (i think it was called pc companion or something like that) didn't find updates.
Is there maybe anywhere a 4.3 backup done in cwm? Then I could flash it using cwm as long as I have it and then use twrp on 4.3
15th February 2019, 09:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillandroid

Problem is that I didn't receive an update notification, and the tool on Windows (i think it was called pc companion or something like that) didn't find updates.
Is there maybe anywhere a 4.3 backup done in cwm? Then I could flash it using cwm as long as I have it and then use twrp on 4.3

It's because Xperia M is not anymore supported by Sony.

Here is .ftf that I've created for my device: https://ulozto.net/!TY5gRMxLNfSs/c19...-orange-sk-ftf
The Following User Says Thank You to Marek8299 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Marek8299 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)