[MOD][ROOT] Interactive an alternative to stock ondemand cpu governor on M2

Search This thread

semil

Sep 26, 2015
I'm not a Dev. but for a while i was chasing the unicorn. I wanted to find a setting on my xperia M2 that gives battery and performance.. My phone got really hot after 20-30 min of usage on stock settings. So I thought there must be different ways to this. I use a custom rom Z5 style, it has the standard kernel as far as I know.
I studied some writings about governors like: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-m2/general/ref-xperia-m2-cpu-governors-hotplugging-t3454006 and the main reason why I started tweaking with Interactive governor is this very useful thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2769899
As U can see I only used what was already on here I just wanted to share my current settings as i find them fast enough for daily use and quite battery friendly.. :D
In the second thread you have a really good explanation on interactive and i find it to be a very versatile governor. MP decision is off with these settings.
Anyhow back to my settings.. I use Kernel Aduitor (an older mod version) to change my settings, it works for me the best.

1. setting is above_hispeed_delay I changed it to: 10000 787200:35000 998400:45000
2. boost : leave it at 0
3. boostpulse_duration: change to 0
4. go_hispeed_load: 95
5. hispeed_freq: 787200
6. io_is_busy_ 0
7. min_sample_time: 30000
8. sampling_down_factor:1
9. sync_freq:300000
10. target loads: 80 384000:85 600000:90 787200:95 998400:99
11. timer_rate: 30000
12. timer_slack: 50000
13. up_threshold_any_cpu_freq: 0
14 up_threshold_any_cpu_load: 0

If U try it, change it and find something that works better with less battery please write back! :)

Edit

I did some changes to the numbers, its a bit smoother and SOT with my type of usage is around 6-8% drop per hour on my phone.
This is a battery oriented setup with MP decision off. My usage profile involves a lot of reading so it is not that cpu intensive. Results may be different for You!
NOTE!
If U would like to have more performance try the Hawktail profile suggested by AutumQueen92 lower in the tread is the link

Last edited:
N

notauseranymore

I'm not a Dev. but for a while i was chasing the unicorn. I wanted to find a setting on my xperia M2 that gives battery and performance.. My phone got really hot after 20-30 min of usage on stock settings. So I thought there must be different ways to this. I use a custom rom Z5 style, it has the standard kernel as far as I know.
I studied some writings about governors like: http://xdaforums.com/xperia-m2/general/ref-xperia-m2-cpu-governors-hotplugging-t3454006 and the main reason why I started tweaking with Interactive governor is this very useful thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2769899
As U can see I only used what was already on here I just wanted to share my current settings as i find them fast enough for daily use and quite battery friendly.. :D
In the second thread you have a really good explanation on interactive and i find it to be a very versatile governor.
Anyhow back to my settings.. I use Kernel Aduitor (an older mod version) to change my settings, it works for me the best.

1. setting is above_hispeed_delay I changed it to: 10000 998400:50000 1094400:30000
2. boost : leave it at 0
3. boostpulse_duration: change to 0
4. go_hispeed_load: 95
5. hispeed_freq: 787200
6. io_is_busy_ 0
7. min_sample_time: 30000
8. sampling_down_factor:0
9. sync_freq:0
10. target loads: 99 600000:95 998400:99
11. timer_rate: 20000
12. timer_slack: 40000
13. up_threshold_any_cpu_freq: 0
14 up_threshold_any_cpu_load: 0

If U try it, change it and find something that works better with less battery please write back! :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68223776&postcount=4203
You're linking to an old site, the newer one is here. Also, I get better SOT and performance with Hawktail. Set your sampling_down_factor to 1 (stock Android setting, not sure why Sony made it 0) and sync_freq to 787200 (sets all cores to this frequency depending on CPU load)

semil

Sep 26, 2015
Hi thx for the reply sadly there is no kernel with Hawktail for the M2 as far as I know.. for sampling_down_factor ill try.

Reactions: Isnotok
N

notauseranymore

Hi thx for the reply sadly there is no kernel with Hawktail for the M2 as far as I know.. for sampling_down_factor ill try.

???
Hawktail is the profile name, not governor. You just take all their values except the ones that needs our own CPU frequency like in the attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-27-06-24-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-27-06-24-22.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 311

semil

Sep 26, 2015
Do you have MP decision on or off? I have it off. These hawktail settings shortened my SOT considerably today. Performance is crisp that is true, but better SOT? not for me.

N

notauseranymore

Do you have MP decision on or off? I have it off. These hawktail settings shortened my SOT considerably today. Performance is crisp that is true, but better SOT? not for me.

MPdecisions is turned on, because there are no other hotplugs. When mpdecision is turned off, all 4 of your cores are constantly turned on and locked at 787mhz. If your SOT shortened try the GhostPepper profile or experiment with your own profiles. Some people do have different times on profiles because of usage patterns

semil

Sep 26, 2015
That was the case yes. I leave hotplug off. Actually all four cores are on all the time but when idling on 300 MHZ it does not use much juice really. I read somewhere that switching cores on/off actually uses a lot of battery. With my usage pattern SOT is better with hotplug off..

N

notauseranymore

That was the case yes. I leave hotplug off. Actually all four cores are on all the time but when idling on 300 MHZ it does not use much juice really. I read somewhere that switching cores on/off actually uses a lot of battery. With my usage pattern SOT is better with hotplug off..

I see, that sounds good. Then sync_freq should be set to to minimum frequency too, otherwise they lock up at higher freqs.

semil

Sep 26, 2015
Can anyone provide with a "explain me like I'm five" post of what is this about? And if it is as good as it sounds?

Hi, its about the governor that runs your cpu. Interactive is very easy to customize: it can be fast or it can be battery friendly but slower. These settings are a good compromise for me but might not be fast enough for You. The Hawktail settings are really fast, similar in fact to 6.0 settings. Your phone should be rooted and with a kernel that has interactive. With a kernel aduitor type of apk You can easily try out different settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.