Xperia M5 Nougat?

Search This thread

ih8redsn0w

Mar 6, 2016
OnePlus 6T
'We will make Android 7.0, Nougat available for: Xperia Z3+, Xperia Z4 Tablet, Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact, Xperia Z5 Premium, Xperia X, Xperia XA, Xperia XA Ultra and Xperia X Performance*.

We’ve been working hard to bring this major update to as many of our devices as possible, as quickly as we can. We’re really excited about the new Sony features & functionality and the improvements we’ve made to the user experience – and we’ll be sharing more soon… so stay tuned to the blog and @SonyMobileNews for all the latest news on timings and features.'

Hopefully this means that the M5 will get it a few months after they release these

If anyone has any news post here to keep us updated

Reactions: Lapyyyyyy

aidy.lucas

Oct 8, 2014
'We will make Android 7.0, Nougat available for: Xperia Z3+, Xperia Z4 Tablet, Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact, Xperia Z5 Premium, Xperia X, Xperia XA, Xperia XA Ultra and Xperia X Performance*.

Weâ??ve been working hard to bring this major update to as many of our devices as possible, as quickly as we can. Weâ??re really excited about the new Sony features & functionality and the improvements weâ??ve made to the user experience â?? and weâ??ll be sharing more soonâ?¦ so stay tuned to the blog and @SonyMobileNews for all the latest news on timings and features.'

Hopefully this means that the M5 will get it a few months after they release these

Doubtful due to dm-verity security which all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use. The m5 unfortunately doesn't use dm-verity security pretty sure it was the last Xperia device to not use this feature. It may be lucky like the non z device's and lollipop but I doubt it.

Sent from my Xperia XA using XDA Labs

xConjo

Dec 26, 2012
Santiago de Chile
test029.tk
Doubtful due to dm-verity security which all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use. The m5 unfortunately doesn't use dm-verity security pretty sure it was the last Xperia device to not use this feature. It may be lucky like the non z device's and lollipop but I doubt it.

Can't dm-verity be added via software updates? In fact, I recall reading that they added it on android 6.0 (don't quote me on it though).

I think it will receive the update... can anyone still on Lollipop check if the M5 has OpenGL ES 3.1? I'm almost sure it supported 3.1 but now on Marshmallow It's using 3.0 (for me, at least) Maybe it was buggy or something (or my system is buggy)?

Last edited:

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
Doubtful due to dm-verity security which all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use. The m5 unfortunately doesn't use dm-verity security pretty sure it was the last Xperia device to not use this feature.
Wrong. The firmwares based on Lollipop didn't use dm-verity but the Marshmallow update does use dm-verity, just like other Xperia devices (and that's also why we still don't have root on Marshmallow update yet).

And about Nougat update, if we don't receive it officially it's probably due Mediatek not releasing source code for Sony (to date, the kernel source of the Marshmallow firmware -- 30.2.x.0.100 -- still hadn't appeared at Sony Developer World, only the old one based on Lollipop 5.0 is there). I'm saying that because Xperia M5 meets all requirements, it have an ARMv8 SoC, enough RAM (3GB) and Imagination Technologies already announced Vulkan drivers for the PowerVR G6200 GPU which is used on our M5.

aidy.lucas

Oct 8, 2014
Wrong. The firmwares based on Lollipop didn't use dm-verity but the Marshmallow update does use dm-verity, just like other Xperia devices (and that's also why we still don't have root on Marshmallow update yet).

And about Nougat update, if we don't receive it officially it's probably due Mediatek not releasing source code for Sony (to date, the kernel source of the Marshmallow firmware -- 30.2.x.0.100 -- still hadn't appeared at Sony Developer World, only the old one based on Lollipop 5.0 is there). I'm saying that because Xperia M5 meets all requirements, it have an ARMv8 SoC, enough RAM (3GB) and Imagination Technologies already announced Vulkan drivers for the PowerVR G6200 GPU which is used on our M5.
I never mentioned lollipop I know lollipop doesn't use dm-verity security, also doubtful it's due to mediatek not releasing sources as the xa is a mediatek powered device it's getting N and the kernel sources are released as that is how root was achieved on the xa kernel built from source. I stand by my comment about all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use dm-verity hence they get the update, the m5 doesnt just like the z3 just because it might meet the requirements of N it certainly doesn't mean it'll get the update.

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
...also doubtful it's due to mediatek not releasing sources as the xa is a mediatek powered device it's getting N and the kernel sources are released as that is how root was achieved on the xa kernel built from source.
Xperia XA released recently, it have a newer SoC, it's obvious Mediatek is providing more support to it (but only until they release a newer SoC). Also, the published source is from the initial firmware which shipped with the phone, there's no guarantees they'll publish the source of the upcoming update (and the same occurred with M5, kernel source of the initial firmware is available but not from the updates that followed). I just know for a fact that Mediatek is reeeeeeeally bad at publishing the source code of their SoCs and you can Google that yourself, there's a ton of criticism towards Mediatek regarting their source code.

I stand by my comment about all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use dm-verity hence they get the update, the m5 doesnt just like the z3 just because it might meet the requirements of N it certainly doesn't mean it'll get the update.
And you're wrong again. Different from Imgtek (which is responsible for the GPU used on Helio X10) Qualcomm won't provide Vulkan drivers for the Adreno 3xx line used in Snapdragon 800/801 and also pulled all msm8974 related source code from Android Nougat tree, that's the reason phones based on that SoC aren't getting Nougat (Xperia Z3, Moto X 2014, Nexus 5, and the list goes on) and that's also why some of the affected devices received Nougat preview builds (Z3, Nexus 5) but were ultimately dropped on the final release. The presence of dm-verity or not is completely irrelevant regarding whether a device will be getting an official Nougat update or not.

TRXteam

Sep 9, 2016

We’ve been working hard to bring this major update to as many of our devices as possible, as quickly as we can. We’re really excited about the new Sony features & functionality and the improvements we’ve made to the user experience – and we’ll be sharing more soon… so stay tuned to the blog and @SonyMobileNews for all the latest news on timings and features.'

ıf you upload xperia m5 marsmallow system folder ı ported nougat.

fralyx

Last edited:

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X

Don't count on me. I've never done this before and honestly don't think I would be able to maintain a custom ROM alone. And since we're on this subject, I don't like the nature of ported ROMs at all, you're basically throwing something made for another device with similar hardware specs then working around bugs and incompatibilities hoping it'll work eventually (that's essentially all that TRX Team have done for the M5 with the ROMs published on the development subforum -- to be clear, I'm not attacking them or similar, I just don't think it's the way to go regarding custom ROMs development for our device).

Compiling a kernel from the sources published by Sony then incorporating this code in the source of an AOSP based ROM (e.g. LineageOS) and working from there is harder (especially since we're dealing with a Mediatek SoC) but would eventually result in a more stable ROM with way less bugs than a ported ROM.

csar9804

Sep 5, 2017
Nougat fot the xperia m4 and m5

I have a xperia m4 and it seems very bad that sony do not give him androis nougat when he is still able to move it, like other devices like the xperia m4, c5, c4, I think we should manifest our displeasure on your twitter asking for us to provide one last update
;)

mind-overflow

Sep 8, 2015
Varese
I have a xperia m4 and it seems very bad that sony do not give him androis nougat when he is still able to move it, like other devices like the xperia m4, c5, c4, I think we should manifest our displeasure on your twitter asking for us to provide one last update
;)

AOSP is in development by Cubbins for Xperia M4, go check its forum. But M5 is in a really bad position. Few developers, MediaTek SoC, **** Sony support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ...also doubtful it's due to mediatek not releasing sources as the xa is a mediatek powered device it's getting N and the kernel sources are released as that is how root was achieved on the xa kernel built from source.
    Xperia XA released recently, it have a newer SoC, it's obvious Mediatek is providing more support to it (but only until they release a newer SoC). Also, the published source is from the initial firmware which shipped with the phone, there's no guarantees they'll publish the source of the upcoming update (and the same occurred with M5, kernel source of the initial firmware is available but not from the updates that followed). I just know for a fact that Mediatek is reeeeeeeally bad at publishing the source code of their SoCs and you can Google that yourself, there's a ton of criticism towards Mediatek regarting their source code.

I stand by my comment about all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use dm-verity hence they get the update, the m5 doesnt just like the z3 just because it might meet the requirements of N it certainly doesn't mean it'll get the update.
    And you're wrong again. Different from Imgtek (which is responsible for the GPU used on Helio X10) Qualcomm won't provide Vulkan drivers for the Adreno 3xx line used in Snapdragon 800/801 and also pulled all msm8974 related source code from Android Nougat tree, that's the reason phones based on that SoC aren't getting Nougat (Xperia Z3, Moto X 2014, Nexus 5, and the list goes on) and that's also why some of the affected devices received Nougat preview builds (Z3, Nexus 5) but were ultimately dropped on the final release. The presence of dm-verity or not is completely irrelevant regarding whether a device will be getting an official Nougat update or not.

Doubtful due to dm-verity security which all the xperia devices confirmed as getting Android N all use. The m5 unfortunately doesn't use dm-verity security pretty sure it was the last Xperia device to not use this feature.

ıf you upload xperia m5 marsmallow system folder ı ported nougat.
    This is "quite" an old thread but nevertheless....

TRXTeam did a Nougat ROM Porting for the Xperia M5, variants are unknown until now since the thread has been closed
    Here is the original thread https://xdaforums.com/xperia-m5/general/rom-nougat7-0-xperia-m5-t3459600/post68636059#post68636059
    Someone also managed to salvage the ROM file in MEGA https://mega.nz/#!Bx8w3bQB!jtEDPsQ0-oSpeOYnrfi4LtW-YsyWU7daK9R7cd_ygTk

No one seems to test this ROM apparently