FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] SK17i - Headphones' left channel stopped working

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Piteras00, Junior Member on 9th September 2014, 02:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello there.

Today I've noticed that the left speaker of my headphones doesn't work when I plug them to my Mini Pro. I moved from CM10.2 to SJB 8.0 and found this out while testing stuff out. It's been some time since I've used my phone as a music player last time, but I never had any problems like this. Reverting to CM didn't help either.

I can't really find out whether this is a hardware or software issue. I think connector isn't dirty, wiggling the plug doesnt make any difference. Is there anything more I can try, besides flashing stock firmware? Did anybody have a similar problem?

EDIT: I've connected my PC to the phone as a BT headset, both channels work fine there.

9th September 2014, 10:30 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
What headphone do you own? Most new headphones with mic won't work correctly on 2011 xperia. Those new headphones use CTIA, our phone uses OMTP. Long story short, you can only use stock headset or the ones without mic. You could buy OMTP to CTIA converter though. Look up on eBay.
9th September 2014, 12:08 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundre

What headphone do you own? Most new headphones with mic won't work correctly on 2011 xperia. Those new headphones use CTIA, our phone uses OMTP. Long story short, you can only use stock headset or the ones without mic. You could buy OMTP to CTIA converter though. Look up on eBay.

I use only standard stereo headsets, namely Creative Aurvana Live and Creative EP630.
9th September 2014, 04:52 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
They looked compatible to me. Maybe cleaning phone jack with alcohol would help, I don't know. Sorry
9th September 2014, 05:40 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundre

They looked compatible to me. Maybe cleaning phone jack with alcohol would help, I don't know. Sorry

Thanks for your input either way. I have tried cleaning the jack with isopropyl alcohol, and also just in case left the phone without battery for some time (because why not).

The strange thing about this is I'm getting absolutely no sound whatsoever on the left channel, while the right one works like a charm. If i'd get any noise while moving the jack around, it would be pretty obvious sign of bad soldering, and therefore a HW problem.
30th September 2014, 04:59 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
I still struggle with this problem. I have tried downgrading software to stock GB, didn't help. I've took it to some service centre, the folks there have replaced the jack, but it didn't help either. I wonder if i should pump any more money into this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)