The XSP has been a disappointment.

Search This thread

donk165

So I've got my new device, and I'm so glad to be rid of my SP, I bought it around April 2014 for £250 and at the time, it sounded like a decent performer on paper. Then we got our first update, pretty buggy, then we got the news of the 4.4 update being cancelled. Then FXP moved us to a legacy device. Today, I sold my device for a measly £25 at cash converters after CeX said my loud speaker was too distorted and couldn't be accepted.

I still to this day don't understand why the phones memory management was so horrible. 1gb should be enough to get by, all I got was crashes, even on the lock screen and system ui.

I hope people who still have the SP can move on from what has been a massive let down for me. Anyone looking to pick one up for cheap, avoid it unless the disco lights draw you in like they did to me.

ShinOrochiX

Mar 7, 2012
London
So I've got my new device, and I'm so glad to be rid of my SP, I bought it around April 2014 for £250 and at the time, it sounded like a decent performer on paper. Then we got our first update, pretty buggy, then we got the news of the 4.4 update being cancelled. Then FXP moved us to a legacy device. Today, I sold my device for a measly £25 at cash converters after CeX said my loud speaker was too distorted and couldn't be accepted.

I still to this day don't understand why the phones memory management was so horrible. 1gb should be enough to get by, all I got was crashes, even on the lock screen and system ui.

I hope people who still have the SP can move on from what has been a massive let down for me. Anyone looking to pick one up for cheap, avoid it unless the disco lights draw you in like they did to me.

+1, it was mainly the lights that attracted me as well (and cheap price, I got mine from an ebay auction for £160 :) ). Decent hardware/beautiful design but let down by poor software, 1GB RAM is plenty. I should be getting my replacement very soon as well :fingers-crossed: .

Tbh my experience with Sony has only gotten worse with time, I remember back when I was using the Xperia X8-happy days :good:.

Reactions: donk165

joesnose

Dec 5, 2009
another unhappy customer

crappy screen, constant lag!!! my samsung s2 and nexus7 2012 blow this thing away. i have ordered a new phone and am actually looking forward to smashing this thing with a hammer!

tomzzi

Apr 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Same here... I hate my XSP. Battery life is bad, buggy update, 4.4 cancelled... I need new phone but don't know what to buy. I am considering XZ3C but its Sony.....

ironshadow2

May 29, 2014
Yea, the worst part I thought the phone is very good and and comes near the s4 when I bought it, because of the benchmarks. This is the last time I trust benchmarks. I have got my phone since 1 year and I think I will wait for the note 5 .

penn.gwyn

Jun 12, 2014
For the money the XP has very decent specs. Yet somehow no matter which ROM I use there always seem to be lag issues. My wife's S2 performs much better in that respect even though its specs are somewhat lower.

I noticed that greenifying background apps help a lot to reduce lag in day to day usage. But still whenever I do some multitasking, e.g. switching to a music app while tracking my run using runtastic, the phone lags.

It would be very interesting to find out why the SP with its more than decent specs is so laggy.

Reactions: niruzz

Spasik

Aug 3, 2014
Redmi Note 8 Pro
So

Ever since i saw this phone i was like MUST HAVE THIS :D
When i finally bought it last year it was huge upgrade from xperia mini pro that i has.
But as time passed i was seeing the flaws that i cant unseen.
UNRESPONSIVE DIGITALIZER OMG SO BAD - any custom rom and sometimes even on STOCK
The hw seems good, i dont know where the problem is but this phone is just too slow, i think it is because of slow internal memory.
I cant affort upgrade so......

Running RR 5.4.0 Finally working well...... (still ram problems like any other rom on this phone.....)

rdlegy

Dec 3, 2013
Yes the hardware lied to me too. I had a phone with 15k on antutu and ran smoother than xsp. I sold it yesterday. I don't have much money so I will buy a budget device like lg l bello or lenovo a6000 and they will still be better than this xsp.

thewild

Jan 17, 2012
I'm very happy with my XSP now, but I had to do a lot of cleaning on the ROM.
Out of the box experience is bad, I must admit.
I tried custom ROMs and none of them really satisfied me. I got back to stock rooted (.207), removed all Sony apps and a lot of other system apps I don't use. Now battery life is very good and even multitasking is OK. I have ~320MB free RAM after boot. I installed Xposd to have all the nice tweaks that custom ROMs provide.

Having to tweak the phone so much to get it to work is not acceptable for an average customer, but I am happy with my XSP because I did it.
Also note that i bought my phone in July 2013 for 320€, and at that time it was a very good deal. Best hardware for the price.
So I am not unhappy at all, but totally aware that this phone is not a good deal if you stick to out of the box experience.

Spasik

Aug 3, 2014
Redmi Note 8 Pro
I'm very happy with my XSP now, but I had to do a lot of cleaning on the ROM.
Out of the box experience is bad, I must admit.
I tried custom ROMs and none of them really satisfied me. I got back to stock rooted (.207), removed all Sony apps and a lot of other system apps I don't use. Now battery life is very good and even multitasking is OK. I have ~320MB free RAM after boot. I installed Xposd to have all the nice tweaks that custom ROMs provide.

Having to tweak the phone so much to get it to work is not acceptable for an average customer, but I am happy with my XSP because I did it.
Also note that i bought my phone in July 2013 for 320€, and at that time it was a very good deal. Best hardware for the price.
So I am not unhappy at all, but totally aware that this phone is not a good deal if you stick to out of the box experience.

For someone this phone can be ok, but the digitizer problems are just a disaster for android phone like this.....
I am probably not buying sony phone again, but only reason for that is really poor software support :(

you guys are lucky

My xperia SP is boot loader locked by my carrier (EE) have tried every rom available to get good performance. So I'm back to stock with xposed.
Anyway 1gb of RAM should be fine, and would be fine, but the xperia SP doesn't have 1gb of RAM, 185mb is used by the baseband processor, leaving 839mb for the OS. Oh wait that isn't optimised. Darn only 256mb for the user. Great thinking Sony.
Also you give it 720p how is the CPU going to push the OS. Give me strength.
System UI works hard... Typo because the screen responsiveness has stopped. I meant hardly working.
The camera well that produces more noise than the speaker.

The aluminium "co-molded" chassis The metallic version of chipboard. The back of the phone that flexes inward and disintergrates due to the amount of times I've had to remove it to hard off the phone

These kinks that our phone has, make it for me.

The Design Connoisseur's smartphone, remind me to nail it to the wall when I'm done with it.

TheAvengingTITAN

Nov 15, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
The phone always let me down but then I found out it was because I was using way too many modules on xposed lol.

I recently unlocked my bootloader and flashed mrcl's CM12.1 with Tangerine kernel (the first ever CM12 based kennel for the XSP and the first custom kernel I've ever used). Everything is incredibly smooth, feels like I'm playing a game at 60FPS.

Here's what I did with the kernel
CPU Governor: Smartassv2
GPU Governor: ondemand
I/O Scheduler: bfq

Here's what I did for speed
1. SD Maid Pro :D
2. Z3's Xperia Home (believe it or not)

Sent from my Xperia SP using XDA Free mobile app

lvints

Jan 6, 2012
Timon
OnePlus 9R
The phone always let me down but then I found out it was because I was using way too many modules on xposed lol.

I recently unlocked my bootloader and flashed mrcl's CM12.1 with Tangerine kernel (the first ever CM12 based kennel for the XSP and the first custom kernel I've ever used). Everything is incredibly smooth, feels like I'm playing a game at 60FPS.

Here's what I did with the kernel
CPU Governor: Smartassv2
GPU Governor: ondemand
I/O Scheduler: bfq

Here's what I did for speed
1. SD Maid Pro :D
2. Z3's Xperia Home (believe it or not)

Do you have a good battery life?

thewild

Jan 17, 2012
For someone this phone can be ok, but the digitizer problems are just a disaster for android phone like this.....
I am probably not buying sony phone again, but only reason for that is really poor software support :(

What are your problems with the digitizer ?
I don't have any. I play some games, so I believe I would have noticed.

As for RAM, it is not that much of a problem once you've cleaned the ROM. I can play games like Asphalt 8 without any issue.
Anyway, I agree that the stock software is very bad, but the hardware is fine IMHO.

rdlegy

Dec 3, 2013
Whatever you do you will not able to make it normal. I sold it and bought a lenovo a6000. The lenovo is faster even tho it has 20k on antutu, you install apps extremely fast and you have much better display, it is not heavy as a nokia like the xsp was and overall even tho it has 20 k points on anututu it does the job better

Reactions: Spasik

TheAvengingTITAN

Nov 15, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
Do you have a good battery life?

Excellent battery life.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

The lenovo is faster even tho it has 20k on antutu, you install apps extremely fast

The SP with CM12.1 gave me a score of 27000+ and everything is blazing fast. I actually compared this side by side with a Z2 and Z3 and I can say, the SP is as fast as them with the new ROMs when It comes to installation and multitasking.

Sad to see you left the XSP. But at least you're happy with your lenovo :)

TheAvengingTITAN

Nov 15, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
I took this when my phone was overheating, so this is the lowest score I got on AnTuTu with Android 5.1

Attachments

• 1428664999379.jpg
    1428664999379.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 432

thewild

Jan 17, 2012
Whatever you do you will not able to make it normal. I sold it and bought a lenovo a6000. The lenovo is faster even tho it has 20k on antutu, you install apps extremely fast and you have much better display, it is not heavy as a nokia like the xsp was and overall even tho it has 20 k points on anututu it does the job better
Antutu is antutu. It relies a lot on gaming performance for instance, and the XSP is good at 3D games. It does not rely much on storage performance, and XSP is not good there.
But you say that you can't make it normal and I have to disagree with this because mine is behaving perfectly, on stock (cleaned) ROM.
Even battery life is good. (one day with quite heavy usage, Waze, Ingress, podcasts over Bluetooth...)
Good that you like your new phone anyway. My XSP will soon be 2 years old, and I think it might last another year.

I took this when my phone was overheating, so this is the lowest score I got on AnTuTu with Android 5.1
I have about the same score with stock 4.3 (26.819 actually), default io and scheduler.
But benchmarks are. just benchmarks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The XSP has been a disappointment

The Xperia SP is just a disappointment.

At first sight...

The Xperia SP to most of us is a disappointment and I myself can even have the balls to say that. Why? The Xperia SP has failed to live up to its expectations.

When I first got hold of my Xperia SP, it was a phone that I considered to be a good phone of the Sony Xperia Line even when I was late to the Xperia SP Party 1 Year from its release. Having the X10 and other devices such as both the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and 7.0, I was seriously disappointed at the device as it performed similar or exactly the same as my previous devices. The only thing that kept me from throwing the device was it's value to me. I had to hold the phone for at least a year before I can get a new one through contract and I decided to do things to improve my overall experience.

On the 2nd day of Hari Raya (Islamic Celebration after fasting during Ramadhan), a thought came through my mind, "Why out of all the phones I had to choose, I choose this one? It barely does anything and has really low performance". It was then that I decided to look to Google to find ways to imrpove the Xperia SP as an individual.

I then soon found this one Brown, White and Orange website which we all know today, XDA-Developers. I soon took different guides online and many videos to look and see ways to Mod my device. I soon Rooted my phone and flashed a kernel to my phone. Little, did I know that I just removed my DRM Keys un-intentionally. When I found out about DRM Keys and how I removed them, I hated myself and hated this stupid phone for forcing me to mod my device. At one point, I even wanted to throw my phone out.

Fast-Forward a few days later, I took on the challenge of making community creations to help out the community to not have a bad time like I had and started to create Guides and Boot Animations. If some of you still remembered, I was such a tiny member of the Xperia SP forums at that time.

Fast-Forward months later, I found a small little (cheeky) opportunity to get some more recognition for my work. If some of you here still remember, @Levered then you are definitely still at the time where I started taking on Custom ROM modding. I helped out Levered quite a bit and soon, he decided to leave me to the development side of the ROM. Taking ownership of the ROM was at first quite a daunting task with people being skeptical and hating me for taking over Levered but then, I decided to take even more time and effort to building this ROMs for the community. Soon, everyone actually appreciated CM11s and soon I was on-the-way to Z3Perience. After that long journey of custom modding, I took a break before an announcement released from Google.

Lollipop.

I think everyone was so hyped for it that I decided to help out with development myself to (I'll be brutally honest here) gain some Thanks into my Thanks Meter because at that time, NO ONE used that Thanks Meter for mere little things such as MODs and Customized ROMs such as CM11s.

Soon, Bagyusz started off the Lollipop Reign and I was left behind trying to fix bugs of sorts from my original source code. I was quite disappointed at the time and looked to MrSteve555, who I think you all know by now, for help. He and some other developers took the liberty of their time and thought me to build my very own first ROM and that was when, RR LBL was born.

The rest of the story, tells for itself now.

Overall, this device has brought me so much happiness and is able to weigh over its past defectiveness. I am a Proud User of the Sony Xperia SP and I'll never back out of the Xperia SP Community until things happen that makes me leave. It was disappointing at first, but the hardware, experience and the community spoke for itself that I feel that the only thing that was disappointing was SONY leaving the Xperia SP Community behind. Even when my 1st Xperia SP was stolen, I bought a new one and guess what? My new Xperia SP backcover is also gone because it was defective and its full of tape at the back. But did I buy a new phone or a backcover? No I kept it because I know, it is who I am today. (Or maybe I just don't want to spend $2 on a backcover. Im a cheapo i know :p)

Your thoughts on the phone and benchmark talks don't change a device.

The Xperiance you have with the device defines a device.

-Furrydaus

I really do not know what our developers did, but the new 5.1 ROMs, especially FlexOS and RR, gave new life to the SP.

We used love and illuminati in the new 5.1 ROMs.

Sorry I couldn't resist hahahahaha
    The Xperia SP is just a disappointment.

At first sight...

Fast-Forward months later, I found a small little (cheeky) opportunity to get some more recognition for my work. If some of you here still remember, @Levered then you are definitely still at the time where I started taking on Custom ROM modding. I helped out Levered quite a bit and soon, he decided to leave me to the development side of the ROM. Taking ownership of the ROM was at first quite a daunting task with people being skeptical and hating me for taking over Levered but then, I decided to take even more time and effort to building this ROMs for the community. Soon, everyone actually appreciated CM11s and soon I was on-the-way to Z3Perience. After that long journey of custom modding, I took a break before an announcement released from Google.

Lollipop.

-Furrydaus

Nice story, buy my xperia sp has gived to a liar man. I've got scam from someone has promise to trade in with his xperia z. but this xperia z already faulty. and now i very frustated and then he already leave my country. that's why i've stopped to dev xperia sp.:crying:.

Now i works for Jiayu, meanwhile it's from china brands.

sorry, my bad english.
    I bought this phone in 2013 with the 4.3 update and I was so happy to own the device. My phones performance was amazing, it ran all apps with (almost) no lag. When I rooted my device, I removed all bloatware and it had an even better performance. The only bad experiences I had was light battery drain and bad front-camera.

Now I use custom ROMs and the phone can handle anything, I don't know why you are not happy, but I am definitely happy and proud to walk with my device running 5.1.1 AICP/ArchXperia with "endless" battery life with my Tangerine kernel settings. Sometimes I miss the stock firmware, so I removed the bloatware from the firmware and flashed it, great design and performance.