[Q] Grey screen after flashing boot.img on sola

Search This thread

lvivets

Jul 23, 2014
Hi all,

I was frustrated with the performance of stock ROM on my xperia sola and tried to flash it with custom ROM (CyanogenMod 11). Something went wrong. And now I can't boot device :( This is my firts try, so probably I did something wrong during the process.

What I did
In general I followed this procedure and did not managed to get to their step 12.
Details:
1. At first I unlocked bootloader (using official Sony procedure)
2. Then I iInstalled RecoverX from Play.
3. Then rooted the device.
4. Then downloaded stable CyanogenMod 11 (cm11.0-0-pepper.zip), copied it to SD card. I've also extracted boot.img and flashed it using fastboot (with no errors).

The problem
After the steps above the device does not boot. I see "sony xperia ste" screen, then it disappears and screen is grey.
I've tried to enter the recovery mode (by holding volume down button), but the result is the same - grey screen.

What I tried (and it did not worked)
I'm still able to enter fastboot mode. So I tried the step 4. with latest nightly build (cm11.0-14-pepper.zip). I've flashed boot.img successfully, but the result is the same (grey screen).

Any ideas what can be done to reanimate the device?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cwikla

Sep 17, 2013
Bielsko-Biala
Hi all,

I was frustrated with the performance of stock ROM on my xperia sola and tried to flash it with custom ROM (CyanogenMod 11). Something went wrong. And now I can't boot device :( This is my firts try, so probably I did something wrong during the process.

What I did
In general I followed this procedure and did not managed to get to their step 12.
Details:
4. Then downloaded stable CyanogenMod 11 (cm11.0-0-pepper.zip), copied it to SD card. I've also extracted boot.img and flashed it using fastboot (with no errors).

The problem
After the steps above the device does not boot. I see "sony xperia ste" screen, then it disappears and screen is grey.
I've tried to enter the recovery mode (by holding volume down button), but the result is the same - grey screen.

I'm still able to enter fastboot mode. So I tried the step 4. with latest nightly build (cm11.0-14-pepper.zip). I've flashed boot.img successfully, but the result is the same (grey screen).

Thanks in advance!

Maybe try to hold vol up while "Sony Xperia STE" showing up.

Reactions: lvivets

rlvl

Apr 15, 2012
techtikka.com
1) Have you unlocked the bootloader?

2) In the terminal could you try issuing a "reboot recovery" command?
OR
Hold the back button while booting..

stiffmah

Apr 29, 2014
Same problem

I have exactly the same problem, also with Cyanogenmod 11.
I'm not able to get in android or recovery, maybe there is a way to fix this in fastboot? (That's the only solution I can think of)

lvivets

Jul 23, 2014
Thanks for your suggestions!

1) Have you unlocked the bootloader?
Yes!

2) In the terminal could you try issuing a "reboot recovery" command?
Could you, please, provide more details when should I run this command?
This is not working with fastboot, and I don't know of other options.

Hold the back button while booting..
Back is "software" button on sola. Nevertheless, I tried holding it but this did not helped.

INDIAN-MAfIA

Dec 11, 2013
New Delhi
Solution

What you've done wrong is to flash the boot image before the rom. As now the new boot images contain TWRP recovery, it loades after the rom is booted and the rom wont boot because of boot image mismatch. The solution is to use an older boot image which contains the CWM recovery which loads before the rom has even booted. Try THIS rom's boot image then flash the rom and then your new boot image.
HIt like if it helps :fingers-crossed: :highfive:

lvivets

Jul 23, 2014
Solved

What you've done wrong is to flash the boot image before the rom. As now the new boot images contain TWRP recovery, it loades after the rom is booted and the rom wont boot because of boot image mismatch. The solution is to use an older boot image which contains the CWM recovery which loads before the rom has even booted. Try THIS rom's boot image then flash the rom and then your new boot image.

Thank you!
Using AOSX boot.img I was able to get into TWRP recovery. I did not flashed CM11 yet, it's late night right now here.

Another solution is to flash experimental v12 kernel (ensure your version of android matches it!). For me it was 4.0.
This solution was proposed by @pippoaacc here. So, all credits go to him. Also he was very nice to explain me more details regarding the solution (which were not obvious to me).
Using this one I'm able to boot my stock android and use it. However I can't flash any ROM doe to CWM recovery errors.

Anyway. There are at least 2 ways to resolve original problem (gray screen after flashing boot.img from CM11).
So, I believe this thead is solved.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

What I did
    Details:

The problem

Thanks in advance!

Maybe try to hold vol up while "Sony Xperia STE" showing up.
    Same problem

I have exactly the same problem, also with Cyanogenmod 11.
    I'm not able to get in android or recovery, maybe there is a way to fix this in fastboot? (That's the only solution I can think of)
    Thanks for your suggestions!

Yes!

Could you, please, provide more details when should I run this command?
    This is not working with fastboot, and I don't know of other options.

Back is "software" button on sola. Nevertheless, I tried holding it but this did not helped.

In adb try the "reboot recovery" command
    Solution