Sony's Powersave App for your ICS

Search This thread

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
Miss the powersaver app from 2.3? Me too, it had SO many more features than the 'extended battery mode' on ICS.

I put the app in system/app so that it will start with the phone (and changed the permissions) - if you just install it, if you restart the phone or touch extended battery mode then the powersave app disappears.

Any ideas or comments on this?

p.s. I just noticed that if you put the 2.3 Powersaver app in system/app with the correct permissions, then you can use this app WITH the 4.0 Extended Battery Mode app. So the 4.0 app will turn off data and wifi when the screen is off for a few mintues AND with the 2.3 app you can click turn on battery save mode when battery is less than 30% for example. Now this is proper battery management that we badly needed...

IMAGE: this is the normal 2.3 stock powersaver app, it's not new, but I notice it was not included in some of the 2012 ICS upgrades.

P.S. The com.sonyericsson files are only for Xperia S users that want to try to get it working. For all other Sony 2012 phones, you only need the powersaver app!!

Attachments

• SemcPowerSaver.apk
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,413
  • Powersaver.jpg
    Powersaver.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 4,854
  • com.sonyericsson.sysmon.jar
    3.7 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

jumper62

Sep 1, 2012
Miss the powersaver app from 2.3? Me too, it had SO many more features than the 'extended battery mode' on ICS.

I put the app in system/app so that it will start with the phone (and changed the permissions) - if you just install it, if you restart the phone or touch extended battery mode then the powersave app disappears.

p.s. I just noticed that if you put the 2.3 Powersaver app in system/app with the correct permissions, then you can use this app WITH the 4.0 Extended Battery Mode app. So the 4.0 app will turn off data and wifi when the screen is off for a few mintues AND with the 2.3 app you can click turn on battery save mode when battery is less than 30% for example. Now this is proper battery management that we badly needed...

Screenshot?????

Sent from my GT-I5800 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: epro2k7

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
Could u please upload the extended battery app as well? I'd like to try it on my S. Thnx

Sent from the outer space, delivered by an android

In the ICS system apps, it is not labelled as Extended battery like in the menu, so it could be either of these apps or both. Try them!

Attachments

• SemcPowerSaveModule.apk
    59.6 KB · Views: 791
  • SemcAutoPowerOff.apk
    33.5 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Reactions: donjamal

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
I've been testing the extended battery mode of ICS with powersaver of Gingerbread and I think combined they help make the phone's battery usable again. Before now I was struggling to get through a full day with this phone. :victory:

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
p.s. I noticed something only recently with the powersaver app, I thought it wasn't working. If you're using airplane mode, tapping the powersaver app buttons won't activate. You must have airplane mode off for it to work...:good:

borgsta

Oct 26, 2010
In the ICS system apps, it is not labelled as Extended battery like in the menu, so it could be either of these apps or both. Try them!

neither of them I believe. The powersavemodule APK is called "Overheat Control" and doesn't install. I'm running my SXS with stock 6.1.A.245 and I have the old style PowerSaver by default. Don't have any battery extenders...

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
neither of them I believe. The powersavemodule APK is called "Overheat Control" and doesn't install. I'm running my SXS with stock 6.1.A.245 and I have the old style PowerSaver by default. Don't have any battery extenders...

Hmm If I understand, you have the Xperia S on stock ICS, you have the usual Powersaver app and no Extended battery option in the power management menu? That's interesting ... on the Sola ICS, the Powersaver app was removed, and instead we have the 'extended battery' option which says it does two things only: turn off data and wifi when the screen is off for a few minutes.

Why they don't put both in the all the ICS software, I don't know. Combined, the two features work really well for me on my Sola. :victory:

kviksand81

Oct 31, 2012

IMAGE: this is the normal 2.3 stock powersaver app, it's not new, but I notice it was not included in some of the 2012 ICS upgrades.

I have a kind of a n00b question/problem here, hope you can give me some advice!

My phone:
Sony Xperia Go ST27i
Android release: 4.0.4 ICS

I've installed the power save app, but when I cycle the power off/on, the app disappears again. I guess this is most likely caused by the app isn't located in the "system/app" folder. I've tried to copy the installer into the system/app folder (using Total Commander), but I get an error message: "Error writing to target file! /system/app/SemcPowerSaver.apk!".

I would guess that this has something to do with permissions. I haven't rooted my device and I was wondering if this is required to get the app correctly installed? I've tried to change permissions both for the installer and the system/app directory, but in both cases I receive an error message. In the installer case it says something like: "...Operation not permitted - su call failed!" and in the system/app case: "... Read-only file system - su call failed!".

How do I get passed this point? Is rooting the only option and if this is the case, how do I do that or get started?

Another thing is, that the timed profile doesn't work always, but that's another problem... Let's go for one solution at a time!

I miss the power save app badly and it worked so well on GingerBread... :(

In advance, thank you!

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
Don't worry, in a thread that I set up, there is no such thing as noob questions! You can ask anything you like! :victory:

Yes that happened to me until I put the app in system/app. I think it might be a matter of root, yes. I think the only solution is to use root permissions. I noticed the app didn't work for me or disappeared after a reboot until I used the correct root permissions. Someone else might have a better idea, but that's as much as I know!

P.s. this app used with the 'power managment' in ICS is a great combination for boosting the battery life I find. I just don't know why Sony didn't leave this cool app in the upgrade! :good:

Reactions: kviksand81

sid.8491

May 20, 2012
"Extended Standby Mode" is available in Xperia P ICS under Setting-> Power Management.
but i don't use it as it will disable wifi and data traffic so i won't be able to get messges through Watsapp. :(

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

which files do we nood to put in system/app and with what permissions???

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
"Extended Standby Mode" is available in Xperia P ICS under Setting-> Power Management.
but i don't use it as it will disable wifi and data traffic so i won't be able to get messges through Watsapp. :(

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

That's true, if you're using your mobile internet it can be annoying when it cuts off because the screen is off for a few minutes!

You copy the app in the first post to system/app with permissions of:

x x
x
x

Reactions: sid.8491

kviksand81

Oct 31, 2012
Don't worry, in a thread that I set up, there is no such thing as noob questions! You can ask anything you like! :victory:

Yes that happened to me until I put the app in system/app. I think it might be a matter of root, yes. I think the only solution is to use root permissions. I noticed the app didn't work for me or disappeared after a reboot until I used the correct root permissions. Someone else might have a better idea, but that's as much as I know!

P.s. this app used with the 'power managment' in ICS is a great combination for boosting the battery life I find. I just don't know why Sony didn't leave this cool app in the upgrade! :good:

How do I get root access then?

Thx for the answer so far! :D

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
How do I get root access then?

Thx for the answer so far! :D

You are on ICS, right? Because this method only works for ICS!

You can get root via this thread (developed by Binary):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

You download a tiny file, I would put it on your desktop and extract the files (but keep for another time, e.g. if you restore your phone).

You need to do 3 things on your phone before you begin; go to settings/security and click on Unknown sources, then go to
settings/developer options and click on USB debugging, and finally, go to settings/xperia/connectivity and switch the USB connection mode to MSM.

Now click on the Run Me file that was extracted and click 1 when the black screen appears. About 10 seconds later the app Backup and Restore will appear and you click on the restore of 'root me' and your phone will reset, and be rooted!

It can sound tricky before you've done it, but once you've done it it's easy! :good:

Maybe you mean root access via an app? You need a file explorer like Astro Manager or ES File Explorer. Go to the settings of either app and make sure that root settings are all ticked, allowing you to modify things in your phone.

Seir

Oct 8, 2012
It doesn't work like how it works in gingerbread. When you turn on the low power saver, you are unable to turn on the power saver.

Sent from my ST25i using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

P.S. The com.sonyericsson files are only for Xperia S users that want to try to get it working. For all other Sony 2012 phones, you only need the powersaver app!!

Screenshot?????

Sent from my GT-I5800 using xda app-developers app
    Could u please upload the extended battery app as well? I'd like to try it on my S. Thnx

Sent from the outer space, delivered by an android

That's true, if you're using your mobile internet it can be annoying when it cuts off because the screen is off for a few minutes!

You copy the app in the first post to system/app with permissions of:

x x
    x
    x