FORUMS

Screen Protector thread

6,288 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,106

By kms108, Senior Member on 24th June 2016, 05:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since there is no thread opened for discussion on screen protector. So I will start this off.
Feel free to add your own findings or discussions in this thread whether it's a glass screen protector, PET screen protector or those wet flexible type.

Found a few glass screen protector on the market, most being non full coverage due to the 2.5D curved edge on the xperia X performance. I don't have X performance ATM, but should have it on the 29th, so I can't actually test them out yet, but these protector should work for both the X and X performance.

Got this locally from china at a cost about USD 0.30 each, doesn't cover the full glass area due to the curved edges, but being cheap to buy, there is no reason not to try them out.

Purchased these 3 days ago, and had them delivered today, these being full coverage and at excellent quality, the cost is also very expensive, this one shown in the photo's that I purchased being the cheapest of the 4 types on offer, the full screen protector underneath has adhesive, color available is metalic glittered/gloss finished.

Normal clear version PET edge with 0.21mm thick glass available to match all 4 color variation.

Super hard clear version PET edge with 0.21mm thick glass available in gray and white only.

Private version PET edge with 0.21mm thick glass available in gray and white only.

Mirror/non reflective version (not 100% sure) PET edge with 0.21mm thick glass available in gray and white only

price starts from approximate USD 27.50- USD 38 for different versions.

Seen these available in china, 100% glass, just like the ones for samsung S7 or the LG G5, only has double side adhesive on the edge, the active part has no adhesive, cost approximate USD 5- USD 15, the prices will slowly drop with time.

Another one is PET and Glass, all clear, from china, cost approximate USD 10

One's from china can be purchased from www.taobao.cn or www.aliexpress.com

The other one can be purchased from www.amazon.co.jp or www.yahoo.co.jp

No direct link will be given, so you have to search those sites for them, and yes you can purchase them, but not directly if you don't live in those countries, but there are ways to purchase them and will incure additional cost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kms108 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kms108 Ad-Free
25th June 2016, 07:17 PM |#2  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Just gimme a link!

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
28th June 2016, 06:24 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I bought a black one too, a few days ago when there was no comment on amazon.co.jp.
*The full screen cover (with pet) one

When i look at it again today, it has only 1 star.
The comments are focused on it blocks the screen edge, oh well, we shall see orz.

From what i tried, most tempered glass are doomed, at least the ones i bought aren't even fitting the curve. (not to mention the size is totally off as well)

I am thinking to use paste now, dealing with glass is a damn...
or get a scr56?

The product official HP:
deff.co.jp
28th June 2016, 06:54 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shininggod

I bought a black one too, a few days ago when there was no comment on amazon.co.jp.
*The full screen cover (with pet) one

When i look at it again today, it has only 1 star.
The comments are focused on it blocks the screen edge, oh well, we shall see orz.

From what i tried, most tempered glass are doomed, at least the ones i bought aren't even fitting the curve. (not to mention the size is totally off as well)

I am thinking to use paste now, dealing with glass is a damn...
or get a scr56?

The product official HP:
deff.co.jp

The quality looks good, and unlike the Chinese one, adhesive is covers 95% of the back including the glass screen, just the edge about 1.5mm of the edge has no adhesive.

Probably the best one you can get at present with full coverage.
29th June 2016, 03:22 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Updated the first post with the protector on my phone, it's not stuck down yet, as I still have 14 return period.
30th June 2016, 12:52 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
I like to point out for those who intend to a glass screen protector on the X or XP, it will affect the touch screen, I know this as I experienced this personally.
I have enabled the double tap wake and sleep, although double tap isn't affected, double tap to wake does not work well with a glass protector.
The Following User Says Thank You to kms108 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kms108 Ad-Free
1st July 2016, 04:05 AM |#7  
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
I'd like to point out XXP is prone to be scratched.
My XXP has one line of scratch after 15 days usage.

Does anyone know what is the screen glass brand this time?
Seems far fragile than Corning Gorilla glass.
1st July 2016, 03:35 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
I finally put the screen protector on, it fits on well and looks good, but those who has the intention to get one, do note you will still get bubbles along the sides, although it does has the bubbles, I don't regret having it, the bubbles don't show up well.

The Following User Says Thank You to kms108 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kms108 Ad-Free
3rd July 2016, 11:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms108

I like to point out for those who intend to a glass screen protector on the X or XP, it will affect the touch screen, I know this as I experienced this personally.
I have enabled the double tap wake and sleep, although double tap isn't affected, double tap to wake does not work well with a glass protector.

Yes I totally agree with you, I've always used the double tap to wake feature and after applying my tempered glass protector it sometimes takes around 4-6 taps lol, but at times it can pick up 2 taps. I received my replacement Terrapin Hardcase the other day and it's a great fitting case I think, aswell as the gel one.

Sent from my Sony F5121 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to LevsOG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LevsOG Ad-Free
4th July 2016, 01:11 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevsOG

Yes I totally agree with you, I've always used the double tap to wake feature and after applying my tempered glass protector it sometimes takes around 4-6 taps lol, but at times it can pick up 2 taps. I received my replacement Terrapin Hardcase the other day and it's a great fitting case I think, aswell as the gel one.

Sent from my Sony F5121 using XDA Labs

If you use a glass screen protector at 0.21mm, it should be alright, the one i'm using is 0.21mm and work alright.

I think if you use glove mode it works much better, but I also think it uses more power and battery.
5th July 2016, 11:03 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms108

The quality looks good, and unlike the Chinese one, adhesive is covers 95% of the back including the glass screen, just the edge about 1.5mm of the edge has no adhesive.

Probably the best one you can get at present with full coverage.

Could you please upload a picture with screen on?
I would like to see how much does the Deff one covered. (left/right edge of the screen)

After 1 week ,my protector arrives, and i totally forget its G-Color. (the only(?) one with full frame on amazon.com)

upside is,
The sides are really thin, so it doesn't cover the screen part.
And it fits pretty well for the whole (front) surface.

downside is,
Made in china, so the quality of the glass is kinda low.
It does get fingerprint extremely easy, i never had any other protector/glass one can do this.
Also, i doubt its "hardness", after 3 days of use, there are some cracks from the microphone slot already.

There is another one called RASTA BANANA/ラスタバナナ, currently it has highest comment and price in amazon jp.
rbdirect.jp/rb <-offical shop site, according to this site, scr56 is made by them.

I couldn't find any retailer sells this and ships to US, so either get Deff one or wait for SCR56 for me orz.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)