FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Enabling Root and Installing TWRP on F8132 Xperiam X Performance

276 posts
Thanks Meter: 56

By nickcaper, Senior Member on 8th November 2016, 03:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So as most of you know by now, the F8132 Xperia X Performance has to be bootloader unlocked to get it rooted. That link is my tutorial to get the bootloader unlocked. You also need a special Kernel to allow things on the phone to keep working. I wont explain why. Just trust me, you have to install a new kernel.

Ive gone through the whole process of unlocking and rooting my F8132 and made instructions as I went along. Why did I make these instructions when you can do a search and see someone else also made instructions? Well, because their instructions suck and I had to look all over the internet to fill in the holes where their instructions had huge important parts missing. Its a rather complex procedure especially for most people who have no clue what they are doing.. So basically I wanted my own personal instruction manual for quick reference and alos felt compelled to share my instructions so here with you.
These are my instructions, Some others will do it a different way but this way is what I did and my phone is working 100% and rooted.

Before you Root and install TWRP you need to go back to my link and unlock bootloader..

1) turn your phone off. After its turned off, hold the volume up button while plugging the phone into your pc. Your computer should already have installed drivers that will enable Flashmode when you did the bootunlock procedure.
2)download Boot img TWRP img Kernel Exposed SuperSu
Save the 2 img files to the Android Platform folder in your PC here C:\Users\PC-User\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools. Save the Kernel zip, exposed zip and SUperSU zip file to an SD card and put the card inside your phone to access it through TWRP later in the process. Keep in mind that the Kernel may be updated by its developer. So you should check out that persons thread here and check for any updates of his kernel here. Do a "date last modified" list of the files on that page by clicking on the grid view box on the upper right portion of the screen just under the "sign in" button. This helps you see what files have been updated in most recent order.
3) you will open a cmd prompt in this folder by holding down your right mouse button and clock on the shift key then release the mouse button. This will open a pop up window where you can choose to " open command window here" when the cmd window opens, copy and paste this "fastboot devices" press enter button, your computer should respond with this ......CB512A697c fastboot.......This lets you know that your phone is in the correct mode and ready to be programmed.
4)now you will install the boot img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash boot boot.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.
5)now you will install the twrp img by copy and pasting this in cmd line "fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.0.2-8-F8132.img" The PC should tell you OKAY with some other irrelevant info.
6) Now you will install Kernel, exposed zip and SuperSU. Reboot, as phone boots, wait for the Sony logo to appear, look for Orange LED to come on inside the top speaker, then immediately press the up or down volume key to initiate TWRP. Swipe to allow modifications then choose "Install" to install the zip files. Navigate to the SD card that has the kernel zip file. Swipe to install, then choose the Exposed zip and swipe to install then choose the SUperSU zip, swipe to install. Reboot. Phone will go throw optimization process which takes some time. You will notice the counting of optimized files. Be patient.
7) Reboot, then in your device, turn on USB debugging and turn on OEM Unlocking by going to Settings, then about phone. Go all the way down to build version and tap on it about 7 times. This will unlock Developer Options menu. To go into Developer Options once it is unlocked goto Settings, then Developer options . This menu is where you must turn on usb debugging and OEM Unlocking to proceed with the procedure. Your phone is rooted and can be backed up and restores with TWRP.

A caution...
When doing a backup with Twrp, backup everything you can check as a precaution but you only need to back up 3 things. System, Data and OEM
Do not wipe everything!
If you do that, you will get stuck in a boot loop and have to restore your phone with the flashtool.

Even if you have backed up everything and wanted to wipe the entire phone for a fresh restore. DONT!
You will end up in a boot loop

Wipe only "data" and "internal memory"
Then, restore "system," "data" and "oem" with your twrp backup.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nickcaper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nickcaper Ad-Free

8th November 2016, 05:18 AM |#2  
Flag Kyoto
Thanks Meter: 3,499

Donate to Me
More
Please do not upload my kernel to other hostings!

Official website for my kernel is
https://kernel.andro.plus/tone.html
18th December 2016, 07:58 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
So, if I was to relock my bootloader after installing TWRP and rooting, what would happen? Would TWRP go away? I'd like to let the phone OTA update to nougat, and you can't do that with an unlocked bootloader....
19th December 2016, 10:48 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebriggs

So, if I was to relock my bootloader after installing TWRP and rooting, what would happen? Would TWRP go away? I'd like to let the phone OTA update to nougat, and you can't do that with an unlocked bootloader....

your phone will soft brick..or rather bootloop..if you're still on MM,do a nandroid backup..& here's what you do:

-relock phone using Flashtool.
-repair device using Xperia Companion(it will update automatically to Nougat).
-unlock phone again using Flashtool.
-install AndroPlus Kernel through command prompt(or you can also use Flashtool to do it.however you prefer).
-install TWRP recovery..you're all set!

P.S.
on steps i said(this is optional),you may not turn on your device along the process..that's what i do & i find it easier that way..goodluck!
19th December 2016, 10:38 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturiuz!

your phone will soft brick..or rather bootloop..if you're still on MM,do a nandroid backup..& here's what you do:

-install AndroPlus Kernel through command prompt(or you can also use Flashtool to do it.however you prefer).

P.S.
on steps i said(this is optional),you may not turn on your device along the process..that's what i do & i find it easier that way..goodluck!

Thanks heaps! Now, to find a couple hours spare
20th December 2016, 09:46 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

P.S.

Following this left me with a phone that boots to a screen "To start Android, enter your password". I don't have a password to enter :/
21st December 2016, 01:42 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

Following this left me with a phone that boots to a screen "To start Android, enter your password". I don't have a password to enter :/

that occured to me too!my apologies but i forgot mention about that..but you could try again that after you fixed/updated your phone using Xperia Companion to turn your phone first & set up everything.then unlock using Flashtool.install kernel & recovery..
21st December 2016, 01:48 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

that occured to me too!my apologies but i forgot mention about that..but you could try again that after you fixed/updated your phone using Xperia Companion to turn your phone first & set up everything.then unlock using Flashtool.install kernel & recovery..

I did try that - although, I set it up with a pin rather than a password. It didn't accept my pin when asking for the password.
Now I have a phone with a locked bootloader, running nougat, and I set it up with a password. I wonder if that password you use on the lock screen is the same password that Android is asking for when I unlock my bootloader?
I also could not seem to get the phone to boot into recovery after rebooting when I got the password screen. So weird....
21st December 2016, 01:54 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

I did try that - although, I set it up with a pin rather than a password. It didn't accept my pin when asking for the password.
Now I have a phone with a locked bootloader, running nougat, and I set it up with a password. I wonder if that password you use on the lock screen is the same password that Android is asking for when I unlock my bootloader?
I also could not seem to get the phone to boot into recovery after rebooting when I got the password screen. So weird....

you can't use recovery or root your phone when bootloader is locked..could you try now unlock your phone using Flashtool?then install kernel & recovery?mind that data will be wiped..
21st December 2016, 02:09 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

you can't use recovery or root your phone when bootloader is locked..could you try now unlock your phone using Flashtool?then install kernel & recovery?mind that data will be wiped..

So if unlocking the boot loader wipes data, how can android ask for my password when I reboot? I am a little mystified at how this is supposed to work Rooting Marshmellow was easier than Nougat....
21st December 2016, 02:24 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

So if unlocking the boot loader wipes data, how can android ask for my password when I reboot? I am a little mystified at how this is supposed to work Rooting Marshmellow was easier than Nougat....

true!MM was easier but Nougat is a bit complicated..however,you could still make changes on Nougat when phone is rooted.anyway,try again from the very beginning then this time after fixing phone using Xperia Companion,do the steps i mentioned..i myself couldn't figure out how it's asking for any password at first.AndroPlus also mentioned it before but didn't explain further.but it's alright coz i got it working now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread