Why Did Sony Stop Including VoLTE & HD Voice In Their Xperia Line??!

Search This thread

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Previous models like the Z2 and Z3 Xperia phones had both VoLTE & HD Voice included, even in the international versions. But since the Z5 and even with the upcoming X series phones, these features were removed. Does ANYONE know why Sony did this?? I have a couple ideas, but I'd like to know if anyone knows anything more concrete. Any information would be great!!

Thanks!

AndroPlus

Mar 13, 2013
Kyoto
androplus.org
Lenovo P11
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Well, some country (mostly Asia/Europe) has VoLTE option on Z5.
On my Japanese docomo's X Performance also has VoLTE option, so maybe some country/customization will have VoLTE option.

Attachments

• DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 1,849
Reactions: RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
On my Japanese docomo's X Performance also has VoLTE option, so maybe some country/customization will have VoLTE option.

Andro,

Very interesting! Let me ask you.....I've pre-ordered the INTERNATIONAL version of the X Performance. Is that the version that you have too? Or did you get your X Performance from a Japanese carrier?? Please let me know. Thanks!

AndroPlus

Mar 13, 2013
Kyoto
androplus.org
Lenovo P11
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Andro,

Very interesting! Let me ask you.....I've pre-ordered the INTERNATIONAL version of the X Performance. Is that the version that you have too? Or did you get your X Performance from a Japanese carrier?? Please let me know. Thanks!
I was selected to test Japanese carrier's X Performance before launching in Japan;)
I will get international Dual (F8132), though.

Pramodkumawat

Nov 8, 2014
jaipur
VoLte also use by an application, in india only Jio Innfocom is ony VoLte provider and for non VoLte Phones they are using JioConnect App For Hd Calling So Don't Worry About VoLTe.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
VoLte also use by an application, in india only Jio Innfocom is ony VoLte provider and for non VoLte Phones they are using JioConnect App For Hd Calling So Don't Worry About VoLTe.

Well here in America I found out from T-Mobile's Tech Support Department that I'll still be able to make calls in a 4G LTE-only area even without VoLTE, which is fine. But the problem is Band 12/700 MHz. This is very valuable low-bandwidth spectrum which T-Mobile JUST purchased in my area (Chicago) a week ago. So within the next 6-8 mos this will become available for all customers like myself. Band 12 is very good at penetrating through buildings, unlike the higher spectrums, so that's why people would want it. But I found out that if I buy the X Performance, b/c it doesn't have VoLTE on it, I can ONLY use Band 12 for data while on a call, not for the call itself. Which means I WON'T be able to take advantage of having Band 12, even though the XP has it. They said your phone can only use Band 12 for phone calls if you have VoLTE. The other bandwidths don't require VoLTE but Band 12 does. So I'm NOT happy about this.

I could get an HTC 10 through T-Mobile today, and it would have VoLTE, but the camera on the 10 isn't as good as the XP's, and the XP looks cooler too, plus has front-facing STEREO speakers. So I dunno. I'm really p'd off Pramo because I feel like I have to sacrifice something I really like just to have the XP.

Last edited:

sxtester

Sep 11, 2014
Previous models like the Z2 and Z3 Xperia phones had both VoLTE & HD Voice included, even in the international versions. But since the Z5 and even with the upcoming X series phones, these features were removed. Does ANYONE know why Sony did this?? I have a couple ideas, but I'd like to know if anyone knows anything more concrete. Any information would be great!!

Thanks!

Can't verify it myself as I don't have a Z5 series phone, but according to a list on Wikipedia the Z5 series does have HD Voice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_with_HD_Voice_support#Sony

So, what makes you believe the Z5 or the new X series would not support HD Voice?

Also, the Z5 series reportedly supports VoLTE, depending on carrier of course:
http://www.areamobile.de/news/32061-voice-over-lte-diese-smartphones-unterstuetzen-lte-telefonate

Last edited:

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Can't verify it myself as I don't have a Z5 series phone, but according to a list on Wikipedia the Z5 series does have HD Voice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_with_HD_Voice_support#Sony

So, what makes you believe the Z5 or the new X series would not support HD Voice?

Also, the Z5 series reportedly supports VoLTE, depending on carrier of course:
http://www.areamobile.de/news/32061-voice-over-lte-diese-smartphones-unterstuetzen-lte-telefonate

sxtester,

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing these links. It seems that perhaps Sony DID put VoLTE on these phones. But I am in the process of reaching someone at Sony internally (via T-Mobile's "contact" person who works at Sony Mobile) to verify all this. But this is very promising news, and MUCH appreciated!! The MAIN thing is to find out whether or not the Xperia X Performance will have VoLTE or not, and if they have already certified VoLTE with T-Mobile or not? See this link in order to follow up over the next week or two.

Thanks!!

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Sony has included VoLTE on the XP, I think the intl, version is the same as the Hong Kong Version, I have personal seen this feature on the retail version of the XP, just a few more days before I get mine.

MGSBigBoss

Jun 28, 2012
The ones that had it were carrier specific Z5s there is no universal volte unless sony certified with the carriers for the model

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Sony has included VoLTE on the XP, I think the intl, version is the same as the Hong Kong Version, I have personal seen this feature on the retail version of the XP, just a few more days before I get mine.

hey kms,

That's the thing........ we're not 100% sure the HK version is the same as the int'l version. It might be, but I'd rather know for sure. I will find out soon enough (see last few posts) whether or not the XP will have VoLTE on it or not, etc.

A few days? Nice!! Lucky! lol I probably still got another month before I get it. lol

nehway0912

Sep 19, 2013
I was selected to test Japanese carrier's X Performance before launching in Japan;)
I will get international Dual (F8132), though.

Hello,
I know this is out of topic. But could you please let me know if the X Performance uses in-cell touch display? This can be done by checking the screen if it has "patterns" on the screen like the Z3.

AndroPlus

Mar 13, 2013
Kyoto
androplus.org
Lenovo P11
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Hello,
I know this is out of topic. But could you please let me know if the X Performance uses in-cell touch display? This can be done by checking the screen if it has "patterns" on the screen like the Z3.
Yes, X Performance uses in-cell touch display.
I can't see patterns and Sony's developer explained they used in-cell to make unified design.
I can also confirm it uses in-cell because there is touch driver for in-cell in kernel source.

corallus

May 5, 2011
HD voice uses 3g signals (H, H+, 3g)
VoLTE uses (obviously) true 4g signals (4g, LTE)
It is up to networks to provide access to the services as they are done on a network level, not handset level

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
HD voice uses 3g signals (H, H+, 3g)
VoLTE uses (obviously) true 4g signals (4g, LTE)
It is up to networks to provide access to the services as they are done on a network level, not handset level

Hey corallus,

How u been?

So is there a way to make my int'l XP I just bought get 4G on a call instead of what it HAS been doing which is switching back and forth from 3G and H+/3.5G?

corallus

May 5, 2011
Not bad dude,
It's one of those things where you gonna have to speak to T-mobile.
It MAY depend on the phone having their firmware on, it normally does.. But, guessing not released on their network yet..
Give them a call and see what plans they have for providing the service on their network.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Not bad dude,
It's one of those things where you gonna have to speak to T-mobile.
It MAY depend on the phone having their firmware on, it normally does.. But, guessing not released on their network yet..
Give them a call and see what plans they have for providing the service on their network.

corallus,

Yeah I was gonna give them a call prob tomorrow about it. My Contacts app is being weird too, and Wi-Fi is acting a lil funny too on my phone. So I decided to just use Xperia Companion to wipe the phone clean and reinstall the software. I'm HOPING that does the trick. I guess I'll find out shortly.

I know they'll prob say they can't do anything about it, but can't hurt to call them. Since I bought the phone unlocked (like I had a choice Sony?! lol) that's not gonna help much, plus it's the int'l version of the XP too. So I dunno. We'll see what they say.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I can comfirm that VoLTE is on my unit.

without a VoLTE Usim, the icon does not show, but once a supported Usim is inserted, the VoLTE will show up, and operative.

2gxpi5f.jpg

14sprd.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can comfirm that VoLTE is on my unit.

without a VoLTE Usim, the icon does not show, but once a supported Usim is inserted, the VoLTE will show up, and operative.

2gxpi5f.jpg

14sprd.jpg

hey kms,

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

So which carrier do you have? Is a Usim the same as a regular sim card?? How do you get one?

Would it make any difference for me being on T-Mobile? Not really sure it would, but just wondering. I don't get the 4G T-Mobile band for phone calls on this phone (Band 2, 2100 MHz), only the 3G/H+ one (Band 2, 1900 MHz), but once my area gets Band 12/700 MHz in about 3-6 mos, I should. Still, it would be cool to have it on the phone in case T-Mobile ACTUALLY removes that idiotic VoLTE certification garbage. lol
    It's just a name, Usim is just a upgrade of the existing sim, to support 3G and 4G, nothing more.

I think even the HK version XP is the international one, even yours was sent from Hong Kong, so you should have it too, once your network supports it, it will show up, you can also goto the settings/wireless & network/More/Mobile Network/VoLTE should show up there.

I see. Can you give me a link (preferably Amazon US) where I can buy an official one?

Yeah the one I got is from HK, but I'm not sure it's the same as int'l one. I say that b/c my int'l XP (which again I DID buy from a seller in HK) does NOT have VoLTE listed. My "Mobile network settings" screen looks IDENTICAL to yours except no field/entry for VoLTE.

Let me know your thoughts and any other suggestions, and uSIM answer too. Thanks.
    Oh since u keep the Japanese version of Xperia, may I ask u some question....
    Is your phone completely compatible with international firmware? Can u unlock bootloader? Do u have any sim-lock problem?
    Thanks in advance....
    You can't flash international firmware on Japanese model (newer devices has strict rule for flashing) and can't unlock bootloader.
    You can only unlock sim lock...