FORUMS

GPS problem

118 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By ah_hin, Senior Member on 7th November 2018, 04:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have started to experience GPS not being able to lock about a month ago. It sometimes locks and works fantastic, but when it doesn't, it's very frustrating, especially when you are trying to go to new places...

I have tried resetting the phone, purge GPS assistance data, flashed the latest firmware, but nothing works.
I have searched online and found several people complaining about the same thing, which leads me to think that it's a hardware problem that cannot be fixed.

I am thinking about getting a new one just to see if it'll have the same problem because the phone is just perfect for me.
Small form factor, side fingerprint scanner, dual speakers are just perfect.

Can any of you think of any other things that I can try to fix the GPS?
or do you think the hardware of my phone is damaged?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
10th November 2018, 06:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
I have the same issue. It usually resolved after slapping the phone. I wonder if the GPS chip or antenna is loose …
sometimes I can get it working by rebooting but slapping it seems to work better.

Very, very annoying. Otherwise still the best phone ever!
The Following User Says Thank You to andTab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andTab Ad-Free
18th December 2018, 09:18 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andTab

I have the same issue. It usually resolved after slapping the phone. I wonder if the GPS chip or antenna is loose …
sometimes I can get it working by rebooting but slapping it seems to work better.

Very, very annoying. Otherwise still the best phone ever!

I've spent over 1.5 hours this morning looking for a solution to the same issue, and this thread is where I struck gold.
I love Sony compact line, but having to slap the phone to fix an issue is just ridiculous.
19th December 2018, 09:13 AM |#4  
Flag Truro
Thanks Meter: 1,008

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_hin

Can any of you think of any other things that I can try to fix the GPS? or do you think the hardware of my phone is damaged?

I came accross this problem on my XZ1c, but I found a different fix.
Go into airplane mode and make sure GPS is disabled.
Settings\Apps & notifications\App info - find Maps
Force stop - Storage - Clear cache - Clear data
Restart phone
Enable GPS, airplane mode off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgesteve For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgesteve Ad-Free
23rd December 2018, 03:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_hin

I have started to experience GPS not being able to lock about a month ago. It sometimes locks and works fantastic, but when it doesn't, it's very frustrating, especially when you are trying to go to new places...

I have tried resetting the phone, purge GPS assistance data, flashed the latest firmware, but nothing works.
I have searched online and found several people complaining about the same thing, which leads me to think that it's a hardware problem that cannot be fixed.

I am thinking about getting a new one just to see if it'll have the same problem because the phone is just perfect for me.
Small form factor, side fingerprint scanner, dual speakers are just perfect.

Can any of you think of any other things that I can try to fix the GPS?
or do you think the hardware of my phone is damaged?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Same situation here myself, tried all the solutions (even slapping) to no avail. I really like the phone but a fundamental feature such as GPS not working is unacceptable. I am going to try to get a replacement from sony but if this problem is pervasive as it seems then I may be in a similar situation again in the future. Seems like Sony bought a bad batch of GPS chips when they put this handset together, if I get a replacement I might just sell it, go back to the x compact and bide my time for the xz4 compact.
24th December 2018, 11:08 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi

I had the same issue. Five days ago it worked fine but not yesterday. The GPS toolbox application found more than 20 satellites, but no one was fixed.
It was not the first time. I think the issue appeared for the first time after android Pie update. But I notice that I had a firmware update the day before yesterday.

I found a temporary and immediate solution right here when the GPS does not work at all. It comes from the sonymobile web site but I cannot post the link, sorry :
You may find the subject "XZ1-Compact-GPS-not-working-after-Android-PIE-update" on the web site talk dot sonymobile dot com for XZ1 compact

Quote:

Use the following Xperia test Phone number to go in The gps settings :
*#*#7378423#*#*
Select gps then purge test data

I did not have to reboot my phone. I just launched the GPS location test right after and it worked fine and quickly.
It seems that the sequence may be repeated every week. It is too soon for me to say so.

BR
25th December 2018, 03:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi

I'm noticing GPS problem also. My XZ1 compact is still on Oreo . I've tried the solutions stated previously (except slapping it). The phone has been slow to aquire 3d fix and seems to have trouble keeping a signal. I've been using GPS Test Plus on my phone and on my cheapo Lenovo Tablet, and what I found out was the tablet got 3d fix much faster, accuracy on tablet was better (1 -3 meters compared to 3-14 and often much worse on my phone. SNR (signal to noise ratio) is in the 20's and 30's on the tablet and is in the teens and barely gets into the 20's on my phone. I thought GPS worked better on phone previously when I first got it, but this is the first time I did this kind of comparison and maybe it was always like this?
25th December 2018, 04:27 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I found a solution although it essentially confirms it is a hardware issue. Taking the phone out of the case and squeezing the top left SD card and SIM card bay door restores the GPS, not long after letting go the GPS will drop off again. I did this numerous times as I drove out to the relatives this Christmas Eve and it worked every time.
9th February 2019, 05:36 AM |#9  
Flag Kota Bharu
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
Weird actually thinking having this problem after last Pie update..
1st July 2019, 11:39 AM |#10  
Flag Kota Bharu
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
After using apps like GPS locker and GPS fix from playstore, and putting aluminium foil in between the case, I manage to fix GPS temporarily and sometimes after restarting.. This all sometimes not working and as my compact covered with 2 years extended warranty, I just send it t Sony for board replacement..
1st July 2019, 01:16 PM |#11  
Flag Truro
Thanks Meter: 1,008

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by handasan10

After using apps like GPS locker and GPS fix from playstore, and putting aluminium foil in between the case, I manage to fix GPS temporarily and sometimes after restarting.. This all sometimes not working and as my compact covered with 2 years extended warranty, I just send it t Sony for board replacement..

9 times out of 10 it's down to cached data error

I came across this problem on my XZ1c, but I found a fix.
Go into airplane mode and make sure GPS is disabled.
Settings\Apps & notifications\App info - find Maps
Force stop - Storage - Clear cache - Clear data
Restart phone
Enable GPS, airplane mode off.

If that doesn't work use the following service settings number to go in The gps settings :
on your phone keypad dial *#*#7378423#*#*
Go into service tests, select gps then purge test data

Or just give some complete stranger teamviewer access to your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgesteve For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgesteve Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)