FORUMS

XZP Camera distortion sadly also present with XZ1 Compact - fixed in 47.1.A.5.51

337 posts
Thanks Meter: 214

By mhaha, Senior Member on 27th September 2017, 06:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE: Sony has announced a fix in a future firmware update, release ETA is end of November. See post in thread with links
UPDATE 2: Firmware version 47.1.A.5.51 has the fix! Note that you'll have to manually enable distortion correction in the camera app settings, it's disabled by default for some unknown reason.

Just replaced my Z5C today with a brand new XZ1 Compact. It's a mixed bag for sure, with some improvements and some steps backwards (no FM radio, double tap to sleep/wake...), but the worst thing I feared is the same camera distortion issue first reported by XZP users, and unfortunately it's bad news.
The XZ1C main camera takes distorted pictures as well. Boo!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	xz1c.jpg
Views:	3844
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	4285132

FW ver: 47.1.A.2.324
27th September 2017, 06:55 PM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaha

Have you taken the same picture with different settings to see if it gets any better and is the Album rendering time still an issue?
27th September 2017, 10:18 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Really bad news as my z3c takes excellent pictures only problem with the camera i have is the stupid auto mode that i have to change every time when i started the camera, before i shoot a pic. Hope they disabled this presistent crap.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
28th September 2017, 12:42 AM |#4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator_X

Really bad news as my z3c takes excellent pictures only problem with the camera i have is the stupid auto mode that i have to change every time when i started the camera, before i shoot a pic. Hope they disabled this presistent crap.

I do know that if you launch the camera from the lock screen (by holding down the physical shutter button), it defaults to Auto mode. If you launch the camera app manually after you've unlocked the phone, it defaults to your last used setting.

Yes, it's annoying. That said, I've read a review somewhere that claims the auto mode has improved a lot since then.
28th September 2017, 04:22 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXUsr

Have you taken the same picture with different settings to see if it gets any better and is the Album rendering time still an issue?

Yeah, the same distortion using the manual camera.

And yes, the Album still takes an awful long time to render a sharp image. I thought it would be solved with the newer chip and UFS storage, but I guess not.
I also wasn't able to find Photo Analyzer to disable in the system apps, which some say were causing delays in earlier models.
If it makes any difference, I've disabled Movie Creator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhaha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mhaha Ad-Free
28th September 2017, 08:15 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Can you take a photo from a checkerboard grid from straight above to analyze how bad the distortion really is?
28th September 2017, 11:31 AM |#7  
Flag Sâo Paulo
Thanks Meter: 233

More
Thats no surprise. All imx400 sensor from Sony has this lense issue. There won't be a fix. Sony already told there is no problem. Take your money back or accept it. Good luck to us all lol
28th September 2017, 12:04 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 601

More
I've read several reviews and the distortion is not mentioned anywhere. It's this affecting all phones or is it just that some have the issue and others don't?
28th September 2017, 02:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Probably all phones affected that fitted with the 19mp sensors i am working in the phone repair industry we had same years ago with htc m7 and m8 models but after a while htc declared a camera recall and we replaced them in warranty. Doubt it will happen with sony xz, xz1, xz1c too many units involved and cost to high. Finally we got another compact flagship that "faulty by design".

28th September 2017, 03:29 PM |#10  
Flag Sâo Paulo
Thanks Meter: 233

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebigpot

I've read several reviews and the distortion is not mentioned anywhere. It's this affecting all phones or is it just that some have the issue and others don't?

its mostly visible in close up photos and straight lines. Thats why you dont see it in reviews because they dont take photos of straight buildings all the time even thou you can see the distortion is the fotos from serveral reviews.
28th September 2017, 04:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaha

Just replaced my Z5C today with a brand new XZ1 Compact. It's a mixed bag for sure, with some improvements and some steps backwards (no FM radio, double tap to sleep/wake...), but the worst thing I feared is the same camera distortion issue first reported by XZP users, and unfortunately it's bad news.
Attachment 4285132

FW ver: 47.1.A.2.324

That's bad news.. Can't it be easily fixed with snapseed or the default photo editor?

Also, if you're kind enough, I would like to find out if we can FINALLY take raw photos with the XZ1 compact. Could you try with a 3rd party app and let us know?

That's the reason I left sony after Z3 compact, and I would love to return but this is holding me back
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)