FORUMS

[ROM][XZ1][10.0] iodéOS = LineageOS 17.1 + MicroG + adblocker [30/09/2020]

673 posts
Thanks Meter: 762

By vince31fr, Senior Member on 7th July 2020, 01:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
iodé

Introduction

iodéOS is a privacy-focused operating system powered by LineageOS and based on the Android 10 mobile platform. iodéOS aims at protecting the user's privacy with a built-in adblocker and by freeing the smartphone from snitches.

The objectives in the conception of this ROM are threefold:
  1. To keep the stability and security level of LineageOS, by minimizing the modifications made to the system. Apart the system modifications required by the adblocker, we mainly only added a few useful options commonly found in other custom ROMs, made some cosmetic changes, modified a few default settings to prevent data leaks to Google servers.
  2. To ease a quick adoption of this ROM by new users. We especially target users that are concerned by the protection of their privacy, but are not reluctant to still use inquisitive apps like Google ones. We thus included MicroG as well as a coherent set of default apps (all open source, with one exception), and simplified the initial setup of the system. Particularly, an initialization of MicroG has been made with GCM notifications allowed by default, a privacy-friendly network location provider (DéjàVu) pre-selected, as well as Nominatim Geocoder.
  3. To provide a new and powerful way of blocking ads, malwares, data leaks of all kinds to many intrusive servers. We are developing an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app). Compared to some other well-known adblockers, this has the advantages of:
    • Avoiding to lock the VPN for that use. You can even use another adblocker that uses VPN technology alongside our blocker.
    • Being independent of the kind of DNS server used by the system or set by an independent app: classical DNS on UDP port 53 or any other one, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over HTTPS (DoH), ..., as we capture the DNS requests before they are transmitted to the system function that emits the DNS request. What we do not support, is DoH when it is natively built into applications, i.e. when an app communicates directly with a DoH server, without asking name resolution to the system. It would require to decrypt HTTPS packets between such an app and the DoH server, which may create a big security hole.
    • Precisely mapping DNS requests and network packets to the Android apps that emitted (or received) them.
    • Deciding which apps have a filtered network usage (by default, all apps), and which ones can communicate with blacklisted servers.
    The iodé blocker is already perfectly usable, although still in its infancy. Many features are lacking, like the possibility of clearing statistics (for specific apps or all), forbidding the collection of statistics for some apps, personalizing the blacklist, etc. We are actively developing it, and new functionalities will be regularly added.

Features

Changes in LineageOS to prevent data leaks:
  • Default DNS server: Google's DNS replaced by Quad9's 'unblocked' servers.
  • A-GPS: supl.google.com replaced by supl.vodafone.com.
  • Captive portal login: connectivitycheck.gstatic.com replaced by captiveportal.kuketz.de for connectivity check.
  • Dialer: Google default option replaced by OpenStreetMap for phone number lookup.

Pre-installed apps:
  • MicroG core apps: GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore, maps API.
  • NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend (default), MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, NominatimNLPBackend.
  • App stores : FDroid (with F-Droid Privileged Extension) and Aurora Store.
  • Browser: Qwant instead of Lineage’s default browser Jelly.
  • SMS: QKSMS instead of Lineage's default SMS app.
  • Maps/navigation: Magic Earth GPS & Navigation (the only one free but not open source).
  • Keyboard: OpenBoard instead of AOSP keyboard.
  • PDF: Pdf Viewer Plus.
  • Personal notes: Carnet.
  • {Ad/Malware/Data leak}-blocker: iodé.
  • News: to keep users informed about our developments, as well as a FAQ.

Useful options from other custom ROMs:
  • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached, to protect battery health).
  • Fingerprint vibration toggle.
  • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps.

Installation Instructions

To download and flash our latest build, see https://gitlab.com/iode/ota.
You can also find below direct links to the latest builds.

Supported devices
Bug Reporting

You can post a message in this thread or (preferred) open an issue here.

Credits

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.
All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit their Wiki for more details.
This ROM would be nothing without the tremendous work made on MicroG, and all the other open source apps that we included. We are very grateful to their authors.

For the device tree and kernel, all credits go to @derf elot and @modpunk, and sources can be found here:
Contributors
Direct contributors: @iodeOS, @vince31fr
Indirect contributors: @derf elot and @modpunk for the DT, and (too numerous to list) all the people that contributed to LineageOS and the included open source apps.

Sponsoring
You can help in the development of this ROM by paying us a coffee here: https://paypal.me/iodeOS.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to vince31fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vince31fr Ad-Free
7th July 2020, 01:31 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toulouse

Donate to Me
More
Downloads
  • 30/09/2020:
    • Synced LineageOS sources and device tree (big improvements for the GPS)
    • microG updated to v0.2.12.203315 plus commits up to 25/09 (in-app maps now mostly working through Mapbox)
    • Prebuilt apps updated to their latest version
    • Welcome to "News": an app to keep users informed of latest iodé developments, as well a a FAQ.
  • 05/08/2020:
    • Synced LineageOS sources and device tree
    • Camera leak now solved in the sources (thanks to @derf elot)
    • microG updated to v0.2.11.202414 plus commits up to 05/08
    • AppleNLP backend working again
    • Prebuilt apps updated to their latest version
  • 25/07/2020:
    • Synced lineage (security patch r40) and device tree
    • Minor UI fixes and improvements in iodé adblocker
    • Updated blocklist
    • Updated preinstalled apps
    • Improved bootanimation
  • 07/07/2020: initial publicly available build of iodéOS for poplar.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vince31fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vince31fr Ad-Free
7th July 2020, 01:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toulouse

Donate to Me
More
home 1 home 1
iode 1 iode 2 iode 3 iode 4 iode 5 iode 6
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vince31fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vince31fr Ad-Free
7th July 2020, 03:37 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
seems interesting, great job! but.. 1) any known bugs? anything? 2) is it stock based or SODP? 3) does volte work plsplspls? 4) ok HUGE THANKS for maintaining this device, keep up the great stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy1235 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jimmy1235 Ad-Free
7th July 2020, 05:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toulouse

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1235

seems interesting, great job! but.. 1) any known bugs? anything? 2) is it stock based or SODP? 3) does volte work plsplspls? 4) ok HUGE THANKS for maintaining this device, keep up the great stuff

1) Probably the same as in lineage 17 by derf elot, except for the camera. We removed the Sony camera, solved a memory leak problem, and included the stock lineage camera. There are also bugs related to microg, which has not been updated for a long time. Development on it has recently started again, so we can expect some improvements.
2) Stock, same DT as lineage by derf elot as mentioned in the OP.
3) It seems that yes.
4) You're welcome!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vince31fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vince31fr Ad-Free
8th July 2020, 07:41 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Location does not work with any map application. I'm not sure if micro G can fully replace Google play services so you can use Google maps but no app can connect to location, that includes the system's native app. Also, I cannot to XDA by Google account, it does nothing when I press Google+
Gmail also does not work, it closes immediate after opening, drive seems to be working, agenda does not work, YouTube is ok
8th July 2020, 08:19 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleniceanu cristian

Location does not work with any map application. I'm not sure if micro G can fully replace Google play services so you can use Google maps but no app can connect to location, that includes the system's native app. Also, I cannot to XDA by Google account, it does nothing when I press Google+
Gmail also does not work, it closes immediate after opening, drive seems to be working, agenda does not work, YouTube is ok

The developer of microG stopped working on the project for a while, some apps dysfunction.
Location provider is set to 'déjà vu', which does not use the network and might not locate you at first. Try using or coupling it with an other provider ? It should locate you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iodeOS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iodeOS Ad-Free
8th July 2020, 08:30 AM |#8  

More
[QUOTE=iodeOS;83014983]The developer of microG stopped working on the project for a while, some apps dysfunction.
Location provider is set to 'déj
8th July 2020, 11:15 PM |#9  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I know it's kinda avoiding this ROM purpose, but seeing how MicroG isn't that stable atm, can we flash gapps in this ROM? This device is my daily driver afterall
9th July 2020, 08:53 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangan_Beginner

I know it's kinda avoiding this ROM purpose, but seeing how MicroG isn't that stable atm, can we flash gapps in this ROM? This device is my daily driver afterall

We daily use this ROM with microG, but tested before with gapps it should work, let us know
9th July 2020, 09:24 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iodeOS

We daily use this ROM with microG, but tested before with gapps it should work, let us know

I flased gapps, first pico, location can be used with native GPS app but I could not install anything from Aurora store although internet was ok, good speed conection, internet browsing ok, Aurora shows apps but remains in 'downloading', no download actually.
So, I went and reinstalled the rom with micro Gapps, but the location didn't worked this time, microG menu was gone.
I gave up for now
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)